Madone Disc Spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am
Mirco wrote:
My saddle height is 81cm. Concerning the Venge Vias Disc Geo, I am riding a 56 frame (stack 564mm) and 25mm Spacer. So an 56 Madone frame nearly has the same Geo and including the headset top cap I assume 10—15mm Spacer should work. The problem is the given max. saddlerail height of 76cm of the 56 Madone frame.

Ok, saddlerail height and saddle height depands on the saddle itself. I am riding Specialized Toupe Pro saddle which might be more flat than the bontrager.

As I mentioned above, saddle height is 81cm and saddlerail height with an Specialized Toupe Pro is 77cm.

regards

Mirco
If your saddle height is 81cm you probably should be on a 58cm frame. Mine is 78.5 and im having to buy the longer seatpost as the standard one only goes up to 76.5.

Are you running the weird riser bars on the venge? Theyre probably the difference in headtube length between the 56 and the 58

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No, I am running the Vision Metron 5d on my Venge Vias Disc.

I am also waiting for some build up of the new Madone Disc in size 56 and of course size 58 to get an idea how it looks like. I am not in a hurry, because the road season lasts until mid of september, then cyclocross race season starts and training is a bit different.
This is mine, still work in progress. I'll measure headtube including spacer for you when i get into work later the 205 seatpost will give an extra 40mm of seat height so this 56 will have max saddle height from bb of about 80.5.Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Done. @Cal, it is completely different than previous. Having the stem a separate unit makes the juggling of housing through bar, then stem, then top cap, then compression ring then steers tube which are all notched, makes it a bit more fussy than previous where housing flowed right out bottom of integrated stem and into headtube. The notches in the top cap and compression ring were more roomy as well. The control panel is much better than previous though with no kinking of cables required. After I do a couple of these I will get efficient just like previous though. First time is usually a head scratcher with these. Image

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by wheelbuilder on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spartan

by spartan

weight?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

wkwt

by wkwt

@wheelbuilder @stitchking how do you like that matte gray/glossy silver paint job irl? Is the Trek logo glossy or matte black?

I’m thinking the most economical approach to this new Madone SLR may be the 6 Disc and add a Di conversion. Assuming one likes the stock wheels.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

thats a good looking bike stitch
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Mirco

by Mirco

Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm
Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:
Mirco wrote:
My saddle height is 81cm. Concerning the Venge Vias Disc Geo, I am riding a 56 frame (stack 564mm) and 25mm Spacer. So an 56 Madone frame nearly has the same Geo and including the headset top cap I assume 10—15mm Spacer should work. The problem is the given max. saddlerail height of 76cm of the 56 Madone frame.

Ok, saddlerail height and saddle height depands on the saddle itself. I am riding Specialized Toupe Pro saddle which might be more flat than the bontrager.

As I mentioned above, saddle height is 81cm and saddlerail height with an Specialized Toupe Pro is 77cm.

regards

Mirco
If your saddle height is 81cm you probably should be on a 58cm frame. Mine is 78.5 and im having to buy the longer seatpost as the standard one only goes up to 76.5.

Are you running the weird riser bars on the venge? Theyre probably the difference in headtube length between the 56 and the 58

I am also waiting for some build up of the new Madone Disc in size 56 and of course size 58 to get an idea how it looks like. I am not in a hurry, because the road season lasts until mid of september, then cyclocross race season starts and training is a bit different.
This is mine, still work in progress. I'll measure headtube including spacer for you when i get into work later the 205 seatpost will give an extra 40mm of seat height so this 56 will have max saddle height from bb of about 80.5.Image

THX, I am realy interested in the height of the painted headset top cap, concerning the need of additional spacers.
With the 205mm seatpost, which will give an extra 40mm of seat height, I assume the max. saddlerail height (and not the saddle height) as stated within the geo-specs will raise from 760mm to 800mm.

Could you also take a measurement on the 56 from cc-bottom bracket to the top tube, were the top tube touches the seattube, just to compare the sloping of the Madone to my Venge Vias.

regards

Mirco
Last edited by Mirco on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Mirco wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 am
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm
Mirco wrote:
Stitchking wrote:

THX, I am realy interested in the height of the painted headset top cap, concerning the need of additional spacers.
With the 205mm seatpost, which will give an extra 40mm of seat height, I assume the max. saddlerail height (and not the saddle height) as stated within the geo-specs will raise from 760mm to 800mm.

regards

Mirco
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Stitchking

by Stitchking

@spartan 8.28 as pictured without bartape.

@wkwt the paint looks great in real life. Trek really nailed it. Black logo is glossy.

@mirco headtube is 160 tall including spacer. Obviously the spacer tapers down towards the front of the bike but i measured from highest point (photo attached).

Will grab the other measurements you wanted and post tomorrowImage

spartan

by spartan

8.28kg so even if you replace wheels/saddle/groupset with light pedals the lightest it will get to around 17lbs . about 1 lb heavier than a top end venge.
is heavy super bikes the new normal in the disc era.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Stitchking

by Stitchking

spartan wrote:8.28kg so even if you replace wheels/saddle/groupset with light pedals the lightest it will get to around 17lbs . about 1 lb heavier than a top end venge.
is heavy super bikes the new normal in the disc era.
Looking at the tube shapes and the level of carbon used, i'd say that trek could have gotten the bike to a similar weight as the venge if they didn't have the isospeed decoupler. But then it would have dropped stays for comfort and would look like everything else.

As non weenie as it is, I'm prepared to forego having a super light bike for a super fast, super comfy bike. Im 88kg, at my leanest i'm about 84. Never going to be a climber.

Also Degenkolbs bike is 7.3kg. So 16lbs with top spec componentry

Last edited by Stitchking on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

with your body weight your decision makes sense.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

spartan

by spartan

dags madone slr 54 cm Bike weight: 7.86kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HRhvIHUFG0

sagan 56cm Bike weight: 7.46kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6a5Wl4xGE
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

prebsy

by prebsy

does anyone have a picture of how the bars and stem interface? I'm assuming the bar is only available in that awful bontrager VR-C bend =(

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:49 pm
I have been messing with this at my leisure over the last week and it is coming together. However the measurements that Trek provides for housing length prior to running through bar/stem are about 60mm too long. Not a huge deal to trim but a bit disappointing. Mechanical shifting on this bike is a bad idea. Shouldn't even be an option.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
This was the case with the previous Madone as well. The suggestions are worst case scenarios with the max spacers, widest bar, and longest stem. Trimming housing is easy anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

prebsy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 pm
does anyone have a picture of how the bars and stem interface? I'm assuming the bar is only available in that awful bontrager VR-C bend =(
My photos on page 14 show bar and stem mating.
Never cheer before you know who is winning