Madone Disc Spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wkwt

by wkwt

Here’s my sz 52. Sorry for the tower up front and too high seat mast (long legs, short torso here). I’ve yet to get out of work long enough to give it a good ride, unfortunately. Most pics so far have been this silver/gray and... mine is no different, lol. Looks quite classy irl, though.

I swapped out the stock Ultegra and put on etap. Also swapped in the Aeolus Pro (all carbon) wheels over the stock carbon fairing Comp wheels. I’ll try to get a weight with cages and pedals as soon as I can to address the question above. The Trek white paper does go into detail on weight of both the disc and rim brake DA Di and etap models.

But, agree, this is not a WW bike. Lots of other pluses though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ultegra is not all that much heavier then Dura Ace nowadays... you are not going to save grams like older group sets
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

wkwt wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Here’s my sz 52. Sorry for the tower up front and too high seat mast (long legs, short torso here). I’ve yet to get out of work long enough to give it a good ride, unfortunately. Most pics so far have been this silver/gray and... mine is no different, lol. Looks quite classy irl, though.

I swapped out the stock Ultegra and put on etap. Also swapped in the Aeolus Pro (all carbon) wheels over the stock carbon fairing Comp wheels. I’ll try to get a weight with cages and pedals as soon as I can to address the question above. The Trek white paper does go into detail on weight of both the disc and rim brake DA Di and etap models.

But, agree, this is not a WW bike. Lots of other pluses though.
Looks great!

Stitchking

by Stitchking

@wkwt sweet build!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wkwt

by wkwt

Well, ouch, took one for the team.
Madone SLR 6 Disc, sz 52
SRAM Red etap groupset
Ultegra rotors
Bontrager Aeolus 5 Pro wheels
Look Keo Blade carbon pedals
Bontrager RXL cages

Conclusions:
- it’s a cheap Chinese scale, maybe it’s broke (read 8.34 kg, go figure)
- maybe my brain is broke
- looking at the white paper SLR 9 Disc etap at 7.45 kg (off the top of my head) unpainted size 54 — on my bike 200g heavier wheels, slightly heavier saddle and rotors, maybe a 100-200g paint job, add pedals/cages, and my sad front spacers — and I guess it may add up to above 8.2 kg easily, although my size is smaller

Still sobering as far as weight goes. This thread may need to be taken down on Weight Weenies, lol.
Last edited by wkwt on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

wkwt

by wkwt

Stitchking wrote:
aeroisnteverything wrote:Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster :-).

The new Madone looks extremely attractive, but the prices are quite astronomical. I guess you get what you pay for - but I cannot help but echo an earlier comment that Trek has dropped the ball a bit on weight. They could have done better with the handlebar/stem combo, very likely seatpost too. Also not sure if the move to adjustable IsoSpeed is worth the extra weight.

All that said, I think building from the frameset up has a lot of potential. I am particularly curious if there is a custom custom WW build to be done of the new Madone disc - and whether there are proprietary parts that can be replaced with something equivalent but lighter, all the while coming in cheaper overall compared to stock fully built top of the line DA or eTap variants. For example:
- I'd probably not go with the new handlebar and stem combo. Seems heavy, and the reports of excess flex are alarming. How about using one from last year (still expensive but lighter and stiffer?). Get the fit done, pick the right stem length and roll with it (works for me on the Canyon Ultimate!). Or maybe Spesh's new Aerofly II or something else entirely with integrated routing? Key question, I guess, is whether it can be made to work from cable intergration perspective and whether it could save both weight and money.
- How about Roval CLX 50s instead of Bontys? I think there is c. 150g to be saved on this alone.
- Trek's XXX saddle or Berk Lupina intead of stock Bonty options?
- Some lightweight thru-axles?
- The usual panoply of WW gram pinching with titanium bottle cage bolts, lightweight tape, etc.

If there is a way to get this thing down to 7.4-7.5 kgs including pedals, I'd really be all ears.
Mine is 8.12 with pedals and a full ultegra build. I see no reason why a dura ace or etap bike wouldn't hit 7.5 without going full ww.

I've just gone lighter seat and wheels for now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hmm, I need to check my scale for sure then, but @stitchking went about it the right way by swapping in some light wheels first.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ahhh.. my gravel bike is lighter @ 7.99kg. taking the wheels out of the equation... ultegra is not much heavier then DA or Etap... My gravel bike has Ultegra RX mid cage derailluer , FD, shifters and crankset.

I'm getting a feeling if I end up building a 2019 BMC TM01... it's gonna be heavier then my Gravel bike too.. if I'm not careful.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

rainerhq

by rainerhq

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 am
ahhh.. my gravel bike is lighter @ 7.99kg.
And my CX bike is lighter than your gravel @ 7,6kg.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

wkwt

by wkwt

I guess I’ve been out of the WW loop for a while. What’s the “standard” weight for “light” road disc bike these days? Spec, Cervelo, BMC? I’ve been lulled into thinking these things can weigh like rim brake superlight setups...

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

wkwt wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:25 pm
I guess I’ve been out of the WW loop for a while. What’s the “standard” weight for “light” road disc bike these days? Spec, Cervelo, BMC? I’ve been lulled into thinking these things can weigh like rim brake superlight setups...
You can just about as easily reduce weight on disc bikes as rim brake bikes now. I would say top-tier stock models will hover between 6.9-7.2 with the next step down models coming in around 7.5-7.8. A good few of the aero models will come in between 7.8-8.2 stock.

Swapping wheels, handlebars, cutting steerers, seatposts, maybe groupset, and you're well on your way to being able to get those mid-tier models below 7kg.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

wkwt wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:25 pm

see that Scott addict in the other section... maybe not "standard" but one can aspire to it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rainerhq wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:51 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 am
ahhh.. my gravel bike is lighter @ 7.99kg.
And my CX bike is lighter than your gravel @ 7,6kg.
I hope to get there.. 7.5kg and I'll be pretty happy.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

Looks like Venge is going to be the lightest of the new releases, and BMC Timemachine could be next, as it seems to be only 100g heavier if the early weights are accurate (i.e from BMC). Madone, Systemsix seem to be quite a bit heavier, but perhaps more aero (systemsix) or more comfortable (Madone). Decisions, decisions.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ScottinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Looks like Venge is going to be the lightest of the new releases, and BMC Timemachine could be next, as it seems to be only 100g heavier if the early weights are accurate (i.e from BMC). Madone, Systemsix seem to be quite a bit heavier, but perhaps more aero (systemsix) or more comfortable (Madone). Decisions, decisions.
yeah I think this is how it's going to pan out as well... I'm leaning BMC, but admit it wont be the lightest.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

aih312

by aih312

I've had my Madone SLR 6 for about a month now and the first thing I did was:

Put on brand new Enve SES 5.6 Disc-saved roughly a 1.3 lbs (cant recall off the top of my head exact number)
Change out bar tape to Camo Lizard Skins
Conti GPSII X25
Switched our saddle recently to a Bontrager XXX carbon from stock
Shimano DA 9100 pedals

I'm having way too much fun on this to let it sit in the shop to be WW'd out, (Chicago). I do plan to take off the Ultegra in off season and put it on a different frame and then add Di2 to the Madone. The bike is fast and comfortable as well, which are 2 words I would not have used for my S5. I'm fully appreciating disc brakes finally...saved my ass from a car taking a quick right turn in front of me when I was in a bike lane.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com