Madone Disc Spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Good! Maybe Trek will get the hint and drop the price, like they did with the Madone 9!

anykarthik

by anykarthik

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 pm
anykarthik wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 pm
More models listed on Trek's site now.

For example,

SLR 9 Disc eTap $11999 -- https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... =red_white

SLR 7 Disc Ultegra Di2 $8499 -- https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... lity_black
The new Venge Pro looks like a great deal when looking at the list price of the Madone SLR 7. Keep $500 in your pocket and get a bike that is a pound lighter.

Agreed. It's a tradeoff of weight (and possibly price) vs looks and comfort. All said, I'd probably get the Madone. Except that I might be able to get the Venge at a discount. And then that's a no-brainer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks to Stitchking and his thread about his Madone Slr 6 Disc we have real weights on new Madone frameset. I really like the appearance, just wonder why Trek gave up to make it few hundred grams lighter. They could have saved 50g using plug in axles, probably 100g tuning bar stem combo (it is 500g), 250g for seatpost.. i can't judge the frame itself as you may thing it is heavier due to aero, stiffness...but these other parts shows that weight was just not a target for Trek at all..

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It's not that it's not a target, it's just not a target for the Madone. Emonda keeps getting lighter, but Madone is about aero. I agree, I would have liked the bike to get lighter, but I guess they see it differently.

hannawald

by hannawald

i don't expect Trek to compromise aero because of weight with this bike but i would expect them to minimise weight whereever possible without cons (not counting cost:)
500g bar stem combo looks like it is just generation 1 product because seeing competitors product i am sure they could go 100g lighter without loosing stiffness and aero. The same with axles..

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:12 pm
It's not that it's not a target, it's just not a target for the Madone. Emonda keeps getting lighter, but Madone is about aero. I agree, I would have liked the bike to get lighter, but I guess they see it differently.
With the Émonda, however, Trek explicitly stated that they focused specifically on weight and stiffness, and “aero qualities” hadn’t been considered (nor had they tested for them). Believe this was from a bike radar article.

wkwt

by wkwt

Hey guys, just picked up the SLR 6 and have a few technical questions:

For the Isospeed adjustment, is the top tube slider adjustment continual or only in certain notches/detents? I seem to be able to slide it easily up and down and can place the slider anywhere.

Also, for adjustment do I only need to loosen the under toptube bolt or do I need to loosen the damper bolt in the back of the seat tube as well?

Does anyone know the torque settings of both bolts? I think the top tube one is ?2nm.

TIA

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

How does it ride?

Stitchking

by Stitchking

ScottinFL wrote:How does it ride?
Smoothly. Quiet and snappy but really smooth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

spartan

by spartan

does anyone know when pricing will be release for stock madone slr framesets. have not seen it on trek website
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

hlvd

by hlvd

spartan wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 pm
does anyone know when pricing will be release for stock madone slr framesets. have not seen it on trek website
https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m8b14 ... meset-2019

https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m8b14 ... meset-2019

leej88

by leej88

No reports on how flexy the new bar stem combo is?

Test rode the new madone at two diff dealers and though smooth as butter, can't help but notice how flexy the new bars were

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster :-).

The new Madone looks extremely attractive, but the prices are quite astronomical. I guess you get what you pay for - but I cannot help but echo an earlier comment that Trek has dropped the ball a bit on weight. They could have done better with the handlebar/stem combo, very likely seatpost too. Also not sure if the move to adjustable IsoSpeed is worth the extra weight.

All that said, I think building from the frameset up has a lot of potential. I am particularly curious if there is a custom custom WW build to be done of the new Madone disc - and whether there are proprietary parts that can be replaced with something equivalent but lighter, all the while coming in cheaper overall compared to stock fully built top of the line DA or eTap variants. For example:
- I'd probably not go with the new handlebar and stem combo. Seems heavy, and the reports of excess flex are alarming. How about using one from last year (still expensive but lighter and stiffer?). Get the fit done, pick the right stem length and roll with it (works for me on the Canyon Ultimate!). Or maybe Spesh's new Aerofly II or something else entirely with integrated routing? Key question, I guess, is whether it can be made to work from cable intergration perspective and whether it could save both weight and money.
- How about Roval CLX 50s instead of Bontys? I think there is c. 150g to be saved on this alone.
- Trek's XXX saddle or Berk Lupina intead of stock Bonty options?
- Some lightweight thru-axles?
- The usual panoply of WW gram pinching with titanium bottle cage bolts, lightweight tape, etc.

If there is a way to get this thing down to 7.4-7.5 kgs including pedals, I'd really be all ears.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

aeroisnteverything wrote:Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster :-).

The new Madone looks extremely attractive, but the prices are quite astronomical. I guess you get what you pay for - but I cannot help but echo an earlier comment that Trek has dropped the ball a bit on weight. They could have done better with the handlebar/stem combo, very likely seatpost too. Also not sure if the move to adjustable IsoSpeed is worth the extra weight.

All that said, I think building from the frameset up has a lot of potential. I am particularly curious if there is a custom custom WW build to be done of the new Madone disc - and whether there are proprietary parts that can be replaced with something equivalent but lighter, all the while coming in cheaper overall compared to stock fully built top of the line DA or eTap variants. For example:
- I'd probably not go with the new handlebar and stem combo. Seems heavy, and the reports of excess flex are alarming. How about using one from last year (still expensive but lighter and stiffer?). Get the fit done, pick the right stem length and roll with it (works for me on the Canyon Ultimate!). Or maybe Spesh's new Aerofly II or something else entirely with integrated routing? Key question, I guess, is whether it can be made to work from cable intergration perspective and whether it could save both weight and money.
- How about Roval CLX 50s instead of Bontys? I think there is c. 150g to be saved on this alone.
- Trek's XXX saddle or Berk Lupina intead of stock Bonty options?
- Some lightweight thru-axles?
- The usual panoply of WW gram pinching with titanium bottle cage bolts, lightweight tape, etc.

If there is a way to get this thing down to 7.4-7.5 kgs including pedals, I'd really be all ears.
Mine is 8.12 with pedals and a full ultegra build. I see no reason why a dura ace or etap bike wouldn't hit 7.5 without going full ww.

I've just gone lighter seat and wheels for now.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

leej88 wrote:No reports on how flexy the new bar stem combo is?

Test rode the new madone at two diff dealers and though smooth as butter, can't help but notice how flexy the new bars were
Not something ive really noticed? Im 88kg coming off fsa energy alloy bars and they feel nice and solid to me...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com