Madone Disc Spotted

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

madik wrote: That might be right but If they would have an option that could save them maybe 20W at 45km/h with Aero bike that can have a nice and comfortable wide tires, the things might change quite fast. Comfort of the riders is important but you know If Degenkolb would like to have a chance to win he will need every help he can get. And suffer a little more on the coubles might not be that important but the numbers are.
Wise words madik. I've been thinking this for years.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

madik wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:16 pm
In the weeks leading up to the TdF, almost certainly.
Maybe If Trek is going to have a new frame with rim brakes thats more aero & stiffer & comfortable & lighter then yes they would bring it to TdF. But if they will just transform current Madone to disc brakes I dont think they would bother going disc for TdF. It wont make sense performance wise. Maybe for marketing purpose but that usualy not happening in the seasons major event.

But i would expect Degenkolb's team to use it in Roubaix and other spring classic for event where aero is important like the Roubaix and ditch Domane completelly. Will see.
I wasn’t speculating.

by Weenie

jlok

by jlok

it's still a long way to TdF... long wait... if i could only keep one single bike... this or my current TCR Adv SL Disc?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TonyM

by TonyM

jlok wrote:it's still a long way to TdF... long wait... if i could only keep one single bike... this or my current TCR Adv SL Disc?
What do you mean? Either the Madone Disc or the Giant TCR disc?

jlok

by jlok

yes, either one. what's the choice and why?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TonyM

by TonyM

It depends where you ride... The TCR is certainly good for the mountains. Otherwise the Trek Madone is far superior. Best option is a Project One Madone.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The TCR tested slower than anything else in Tour’s latest aero comparison, IIRC. Then again Sunweb raced 2017 exclusively on the TCR and did pretty well at the TdF.

I will say that the spied Madone Disc looks virtually identical to the current rim brake model...so perhaps it will be a stopgap release for 2018/2019 ahead of a full redesign in 2020.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

I'd keep the TCR then... it rides very very well... maybe the geometries are very suitable to me.

OliverRB

by OliverRB

Bike Launch next week - could be the Madone disc?

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Just in time for Omloop and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. Maybe they'll run campaign of aerobike potential winning classics?
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

chronsbons

by chronsbons

I bet this is the bike that will be dropping next week

http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/p ... ?&trail=75

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

OliverRB wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am
Bike Launch next week - could be the Madone disc?
No. My money is on either a new gravel bike, as mentioned above, or a new SpeedConcept, which is Trek's oldest road model, at this point (Ironman season is starting up now).

Madone won't see an update until July, with some photos slipping out in June.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

jlok

by jlok

They will surely compliment the upcoming Madone Disc Brake.

- XXX 4 Tubular Disc (24H) 47 mm rim 24 spokes Approved 16.02.2018
- XXX 6 Tubular Disc (24H) 60 mm rim 24 spokes Approved 16.02.2018

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

bruno2000

by bruno2000

According to some Trek team inside info, Trek will launch their new Madone disc in the Criterium du Dauphiné next june.
So from june all riders will be on disc-equipped bikes.
Until then riders taking the Emonda or Domane will be on disc, riders taking the Madone will be on normal rim brakes.

by Weenie

spartan

by spartan

looking forward to 48mm front 60 rear disc wheelset. i think most of the companies have figure out the sweetspot for aero efficiency.

dt/swissside/enve all have similiar sizes.
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150