Rim tape for tubed/tubeless with latex/butyl

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

DON'T use cloth rim tape in tubeless ready rims. It will make tire installation hard to impossible.

Proper tubeless/strapping tape is lighter, tougher, thinner, airtight and flexible, and I actually can't think of any disadvantages.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:DON'T use cloth rim tape in tubeless ready rims. It will make tire installation hard to impossible.

Proper tubeless/strapping tape is lighter, tougher, thinner, airtight and flexible, and I actually can't think of any disadvantages.
Will I need to install two layers of tubeless tape? Is this a standard procedure with what I call double wrap?
Per quote from Boyd tubeless kit "The tubeless kit above will include our new (blue) tubeless tape http://www.boydcycling.com/shop/accesso ... eless-tape and tubeless valves http://www.boydcycling.com/shop/accesso ... ess-valves pre-installed on the wheels! We will install two layers of the tubeless tape in the exact width you need for your wheels.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yes, I would always use 2 layers of tubeless rim tape for road pressures. It’s like 5 extra grams for two wheels.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TobinHatesYou wrote:Yes, I would always use 2 layers of tubeless rim tape for road pressures. It’s like 5 extra grams for two wheels.
Ah, now I understand why tubeless rim tape is thinner for 2 layers in contrast to standard (e.g. for tubed application).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dvq

by dvq

I just use Tesa 4289 tape in a large roll I got on EBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesa-Tape-4289 ... 1623545901

Same as Stans tape, stretches well, 2 layers per wheel means enough tape for 16 wheels.

Marin

by Marin

I use 4289 too.

Orlok

by Orlok

If you use Schwalbe tubeless tape you can wrap only one layer.!

viewtopic.php?p=1365030#p1365030
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

Orlok

by Orlok

Because Schwalbe say so;
Because I do/did;
Because it works so.!

Marin

by Marin

You said "can" - I want to know what the limitation is. Tape too thick? Too short? Forbidden in the manual?

peted76

by peted76

For the past 18months, I've been running one layer on my front wheel of the thin goldy looking 3M made tape which is probably the same as other tapes which is not made by but sold by bike brands.. mine was from a Giant tubeless kit.
I weight 76kg's btw, so no flyweight.

Marin

by Marin

I've been running a single layer of Tesa as well, but with narrower tires / higher pressures, it does sink into the valve holes a little, so I started using 2 layers. The weight difference has to be minimal.

Orlok

by Orlok

Marin wrote:I've been running a single layer of Tesa as well, but with narrower tires / higher pressures, it does sink into the valve holes a little, so I started using 2 layers. The weight difference has to be minimal.
Two layers Tesa will sink a little into the valve holes too but will hold the high pressure of 100 psi.! :wink:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

stans tape is a bit paler than the tesa 4289 tape so it may not be the same but it seems to be the same thickness as stans. Tesa in the u.k also dont know about stans which tell me stans is not tesa.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com