hair under aero helmet bad?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spectastic

by spectastic

I've yet be able to find an internet answer to this. but I have short hair that stands up like blades of grass. When I put my helmet on, the hair that's not touching the helmet pokes up. they're not going over the vents or anything, but when I put on my aero helmet and look in the mirror, I can see the hair blocking the air vents that might disallow air from going through, affecting my ventilation and probably my aerodynamics. you know how the aero road helmets are designed such that air goes in 1 continuous stream from the front to the rear vents? well with mine, those passages are blocked by my hair.. I'm just wondering if there's data out there that shows the effect of this. Perhaps it's not worthwhile for me to wear an aero helmet at all. or maybe it's better to just use a helmet with less vent holes, like the cannondale cypher (with cover), instead of the lg course, which is what I currently have. what's the take there?

benzebub

by benzebub

to be ultimate aero and pro, my advice would be to wear your helmet in front of the mirror and take some electric clippers to trim the hair blocking the vents.
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You could you aero gel on your hair to flatten it before the ride!

ms6073

by ms6073

benzebub wrote:to be ultimate aero and pro, my advice would be...

Seems like to be ultimate aero and pro would require one to take the shaver and completely remove all hair from head (and arms), no? :beerchug:
Seriously though, a Castelli skull cap or similar would handle the issue as well as provide some UV protection.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

benzebub

by benzebub

ha yes ofcourse, my reply was a bit tongue-in-cheek.. I doubt that a few hairs sticking out would make a difference for an amateur (or pro). perhaps if you are looking for 0.5 watts (don't quote me on that number).

besides, most people don't have concrete for hair, wind CAN pass through and won't block the airflow
But I could be wrong

shimmeD

by shimmeD

You do have a valid point. If you already shave your legs, you should seriously consider having a change of hairstyle if vanity (and a full head of hair) is not an issue. Otherwise skull cap as suggested. :thumbup:
Less is more.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

get a perm
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TonyM

by TonyM

I had to laugh BUT indeed an annoying thing after you spend so much money on aerodynamics.
I would say either shave it, get some styling gel or a cap! The latest should be the best IMHO.

aerozy

by aerozy

Some excess hair didnt stop Sagan winning the worlds. Dont think you have too much to worry about. How about beards? I have a big one... Dam maybe thats what slowing me down :lol: Not! Take a look at Luca Paolini.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

TonyM

by TonyM

aerozy wrote:Some excess hair didnt stop Sagan winning the worlds. Dont think you have too much to worry about. How about beards? I have a big one... Dam maybe thats what slowing me down :lol: Not! Take a look at Luca Paolini.

For you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkmCLOjk2h8

Aya

by Aya

I cast a vote for cycling caps!!! I also use leg UV screen for aerodynamic instead of shaving leg hairs.

Shrike

by Shrike

Won't leave the house in anything less 8)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

shave it all off. not only are you more aero, but you'll lose a few grams
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Shrike wrote:Won't leave the house in anything less 8)

:lol:
Nice
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

The answer, of course, is a mullet. Aero in the front, party in the back.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”