Campy UltraTorque DS removal issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

so i inscrewed the axle bolt
removed the NDS crank
unhooked the crescent clip
and now the DS crank wont come off
I've watched videos, and its supposed to pop right out
smash the axle from the ND side?
throw the whole thing in the fire?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Depending on your riding conditions and if the original installation included greasing the cup, then it could be a little stuck.

If gentle wiggling on the chainring while pulling doesn't do it, then try penetrating oil around the bearing, wait and try again.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tommasini

by tommasini

I’ll second the recommendation to wiggle using leverage points. I’ll also note that since the nondrive arm has only one leverage point I usually loosen the connecting bolt about 1/2 way then give a rap or two with a rubber mallet against the Allen key still inside that joining bolt. It gets it moving from an already snug starting point.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

well, i'm taking it to the bike shop tomorrow, cuz when i took off the front derailleur, i noticed a really nice vertical crack in the seat tube, right underneath the clamp

i'm on cloud 9 right now

you think Giant will pay for that repair? since i've only ever used their 4nm Torque Key for the past 6 years?

edit: whaddaya know? the wiggly worked... and i was going to throw the whole think in the wood chipper.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

so, if the DT is cracked, i'm wondering if its worth the cost to repair an 11 year old frame.
if that's the case, i'm eyeing a frameset from a UK shop, but i've never ordered from over seas before.
specifically Merlin Cycles
i'm in the US btw
i read this on their website:
United States:
Currency: Select US Dollars ($) to be charged in US Dollars – Prices are VAT free to United States
does this mean that Merlin's advertised price on the product doesn't include VAT? or that the customer in the US pays no extra tax on the item?

i'm kinda dumb

alistaird

by alistaird

Normal UK web sites include VAT. I've just looked on Merlin and changed the delivery country in the basked from the UK to the USA and the price went down by the VAT amount (1/6 or the total as VAT is 20%).

Hope that helps...

A

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In Britain or Europe all prices that the consumer sees normally include VAT. The rates vary a little between countries, but are around 20% which is what the rate is in the UK.

The larger sites that are geared towards foreign sales as well as domestic will normally have a button for currency, and sometimes a button for destination as well.

An item is sold VAT-free only if it's being exported outside the EU, so on sites with a destination button, it is that which gives the VAT-free price, not simply changing to USD.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Catagory6 wrote:you think Giant will pay for that repair? since i've only ever used their 4nm Torque Key for the past 6 years?
Repeatedly tightening a bolt with a torque wrench can still damage a carbon tube; torque wrenches aren’t magic.

I have no idea if you caused the damage, but I see so many people saying “I always use a torque wrench” as if that makes them unable to damage a part.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i'm kinda now hoping the DT is cracked. the 585 has had an AMAZING 11-year run, but i'm get'n the hots for a colnago c60. the frame i've been eyeballing on Merlin Cycles.
Second issue ordering from the UK is Import Duty. I went to this site: https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/
and filled out the fields, and it came back with a whopping $000.00 cost for import duties. if this is acurate, i'm getting a twitchy "purchase button" finger.

now here's the real question:
is it ethical to run Campy Record 10-speed on this frame? i would be switching to Campy Chorus 11, and selling the record 10.

AJS914

by AJS914

11 speed is a nice upgrade. If you get a new C60, it's nice to put an all new gruppo on it. Just sell all the old stuff.

For your old frame, I would investigate a DIY repair. You can buy a repair kit for $40-50. If it's a straight forward single crack, it wouldn't be hard to grind it out, fill it, and wrap it with carbon and resin. If you don't care about paint and don't mind the bike having a "band-aid" you can just clear coat it and be done with it. That is what I'd do with an 11 year old frame - use it as a winter/travel/trainer bike.

Post of pic of the crack.

BTW, if you search the web, you'll find lots of repair videos for inspiration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com