Bora 50 aero data

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

richscott

by richscott

Hi there - is there any aero data available which compares bora 50's to enve/zipp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theDmitry

by theDmitry

there is 2016 TOUR test with
Campagnolo Bora One 50
Zipp 404 Firecrest
Zipp 303 Firecrest

here are public results:
https://www.tour-magazin.de/komponenten ... 41647.html

they also have private paper with more detailed review:
https://imgur.com/a/gi83sCg
https://imgur.com/a/PFrCDyY
https://imgur.com/a/htQv4vc

and test with ENVE wheels
https://www.tour-magazin.de/komponenten ... 45092.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Renault78law

by Renault78law

I'm really surprised this hasn't been discussed yet considering how many on this forum run Boras (just purchased a pair myself). A very interesting study entitled, Racing Wheels’ Effect on Drag/Side Forces Acting on a Cyclist at Sportstech-Miun Wind Tunnel. The compared 50mm Bora Ones and 40mm Vision Metron 40 LTDs.

http://www.mdpi.com/2504-3900/2/6/210
file://calax02/24165/UserProfile/Downloads/proceedings-02-00210-v2.pdf

robertbb

by robertbb

Renault78law wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 pm
I'm really surprised this hasn't been discussed yet considering how many on this forum run Boras (just purchased a pair myself). A very interesting study entitled, Racing Wheels’ Effect on Drag/Side Forces Acting on a Cyclist at Sportstech-Miun Wind Tunnel. The compared 50mm Bora Ones and 40mm Vision Metron 40 LTDs.

http://www.mdpi.com/2504-3900/2/6/210
file://calax02/24165/UserProfile/Downloads/proceedings-02-00210-v2.pdf
The meat and potatoes of the above:

Considering the wind speed referred to the ground VWG of 20 km/h (Figure 5e), the Vision wheelset
shows the smallest CDA and the Bontrager the highest both at small and high yaw angles. At a yaw
angle of 0°, the Vision wheels have 4% and 14% less drag than the Campagnolo and Bontrager wheels,
respectively. For medium yaw angles (10–15°) the Campagnolo wheelset shows the best behaviour:
at 15°, it has 2% and 6% less drag than Vision and Bontrager wheelsets, respectively. At the highest
yaw angle, the Vision wheelset has 14% and 12% less drag than Bontrager and Campagnolo wheels.

TL;DR - the Visions are better at low and high yaw angles. The Boras are better at medium yaw angles, but not by much at all.

Renault78law

by Renault78law

I just bought a set of Boras but was realistic about expectations. Nobody claims Boras are the fastest wheels out there, aero-wise. The Boras' shape has been refined a little, and made a little wider, but there are more modern shapes out there developed using advanced CFD and extensive windtunnel testing. It's no wonder that the Boras are not popular among the aero-weenie crowd. However, the Boras seem to be an all-around great wheel. I have not yet ridden them, but I chose them because they're beautiful, brake well, have great hubs, stiff, priced well, and generally bombproof. The aero differences between wheels of a given depth aren't so great as to make any difference to me. I prioritize the look and reliability.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I bought my Boras after reading Tour's wheel test report. I love them and they are plenty aero for me. I own both the 50's and 35's. 35's for winter riding when the wind is the strongest.

wilwil

by wilwil

They are okay for Valverde.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Don´t get fixated on aero data. There´s a big margin of error in it, and it´s hard to replicate real world conditions. The Boras are as aero as just about any other 50mm wheel out there, at least, when riding, you would never be able to tell any difference between different models.
The Boras are great. Light, stiff, reliable, and aero.

Marin

by Marin

cyclespeed wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:00 pm
when riding, you would never be able to tell any difference between different models.
But then you also would't be able to tell the difference between the fastest and the slowest wheels when riding because it's not something you can feel.

guyc

by guyc

You can also buy both 35 and 50mm Ones for the price of a single pair of Enve's

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Bora 50s are working well for Caleb Ewan against Sagan. :lol:

kgt

by kgt

cyclespeed wrote:
Don´t get fixated on aero data. There´s a big margin of error in it, and it´s hard to replicate real world conditions. The Boras are as aero as just about any other 50mm wheel out there, at least, when riding, you would never be able to tell any difference between different models.
This

wintershade

by wintershade

guyc wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 pm
You can also buy both 35 and 50mm Ones for the price of a single pair of Enve's
But you probably only need a single pair of ENVEs (3.4) which are more aero with a 25c tire than the Bora 50s, better is crosswinds than 50s, and only 3 grams heavier than Bora 35.

wintershade

by wintershade

kgt wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
This
This is completely garbage. Fake news. Sure there is a margin of error. But modern rim profiles are more aero and definitely faster than Boras.

I love Boras. I have 3 sets of them. But they're not on any of my race bikes.

wintershade

by wintershade

Marin wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:12 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
when riding, you would never be able to tell any difference between different models.
But then you also would't be able to tell the difference between the fastest and the slowest wheels when riding because it's not something you can feel.
Yeah, agreed. It always cracks me up when reviews comment on how X wheel seemed to "hold speed" better than Y wheel (or bike for that matter) when the difference in CDA equates to like 5 seconds over 40K.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com