Putting aerobars on Roubaix? Cool or not cool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Hi-I have a Roubaix that I really enjoy riding for both training and races. I had been meaning to get a N+1 but I changed my mind for now (waiting for the new S-Works Tarmac Disc now to decide).

I hope you guys give me an idea since I'm a total n00b I don't have any idea what's cool or not. So, can I put aero bars on an endurance bike like Roubaix without looking like an idiot? If it's cool, what are my options for a good carbon aero handlebar ~$300? Thank you.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You would definitely not look like an idiot. You would look like a douche. :P

If you always ride by yourself than who cares. Group rides? Don't even think about it.

When someone tries to join our group with aero bars, it's not the aero bars in themselves that are a concern (unless of course the rider uses them - that would qualify them as an idiot), my concern is that I am now in high speed close proximity to another cyclist on who's skill and judgment my safety depends, and all I can think about is that the aero bars are likely not the last stupid thing that this person will do regarding cycling.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Mr.Gib wrote:You would definitely not look like an idiot. You would look like a douche. :P

If you always ride by yourself than who cares. Group rides? Don't even think about it.

When someone tries to join our group with aero bars, it's not the aero bars in themselves that are a concern (unless of course the rider uses them - that would qualify them as an idiot), my concern is that I am now in high speed close proximity to another cyclist on who's skill and judgment my safety depends, and all I can think about is that the aero bars are likely not the last stupid thing that this person will do regarding cycling.

That’s fair enough, thank you.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks for being a good sport.

To answer your question seriously, aero bars are for time trialing, super randonee, RAAM, etc., not for just "riding around".
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

themidge

by themidge

When you say aerobars do you mean clip-on extensions like these, or otherwise normal handlebars with aero tops like these?
If the former then NO! you'll look like a fred and they can be unsafe in groups
If the latter then sure! go for it, we all could do with a little extra free speed

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

themidge wrote:When you say aerobars do you mean clip-on extensions like these, or otherwise normal handlebars with aero tops like these?
If the latter then sure! go for it, we all could do with a little extra free speed

Oh it’s the LATTER!!! Sorry about the confusion. Yes I know the former is pretty dangerous in group rides. I’ve seen some people doing it and asked to stay off the back.

TonyM

by TonyM

DCcyclist wrote:
themidge wrote:When you say aerobars do you mean clip-on extensions like these, or otherwise normal handlebars with aero tops like these?

Oh it’s the LATTER!!! Sorry about the confusion. Yes I know the former is pretty dangerous in group rides. I’ve seen some people doing it and asked to stay off the back.

If it is meant for handlebars with an aero shape, why not? I have now some on my rain/ winter bike and they are actually quite comfortable!

JohnHinMD

by JohnHinMD

I agree with themidge's clarification. Tri/time trial bars or clip-on extensions, on a Roubaix, for road riding? No. But aero road bars, like the Enve SES Aero or Zipp SL70 Aero, for fast road riding? Yes. Why not. Been there, done it. Looked awesome. Have no idea of the actual aero benefits to my riding. History: happily rode a 2008 Cervelo R3 SL for many years. Experienced major back problems and had lumbar surgery a few years ago. Built up an S-Works Roubaix SL4 because i needed the substantially higher stack in the front but didn't want to give up a stiff pedaling response and fast road riding. Had the Zipp SL70 Aero handlebar mounted for one year, followed by the Enve SES Aero Bar the next year. They were nice bars. Was not enamored of the flat tops when climbing. I got nothing but compliments on the aero bars. After rehabbing extensively, I've regained flexibility and am back to a lower front end and riding a TCR Advanced SL with non-aero Enve road bars.

A couple pics of the old S-Works Roubaix set-up with Zipp aero bars:
Attachments
Aero Bars 1 downsize.jpg
Aero Bars 2 downsize.jpg

jlok

by jlok

clip ons are no problem for solo, and i've seen many endurance riders got it.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

clipsed

by clipsed

I will take an aero bar over a round bar ANY day of the week. Climbing with a flat aero bar is 10000 x more comfortable.

And secondary to this, they look way cooler.

Do it you won't regret it!

Shrike

by Shrike

I thought you meant the en vogue aero bar extensions (ie. clip ons) which are more of a practical necessity for real endurance/ultra riding. Which would suit the Roubaix perfectly.

Aero bars with flat tops? Nothing unusual about that anymore, on any bike. It's unusual to not use them. Nearly 2018, why would you be riding in retro bars on a modern frame :shock:

Flat tops are far more comfortable to rest your hands on. Not all though and it's hard to try them to find out.

From my experience the most comfortable are the Cervelo aero bars (both tops and drops are heavenly, and material isn't too slippy). Least comfortable are the Zipp SL-70 (tops bite into the palms and drops are plain awkward for anyone with hands larger than a child, finish is super slippy too).

I use the Zipps myself at the moment :lol:

morganb

by morganb

Shrike wrote:I thought you meant the en vogue aero bar extensions (ie. clip ons) which are more of a practical necessity for real endurance/ultra riding. Which would suit the Roubaix perfectly.

Aero bars with flat tops? Nothing unusual about that anymore, on any bike. It's unusual to not use them. Nearly 2018, why would you be riding in retro bars on a modern frame :shock:

Flat tops are far more comfortable to rest your hands on. Not all though and it's hard to try them to find out.

From my experience the most comfortable are the Cervelo aero bars (both tops and drops are heavenly, and material isn't too slippy). Least comfortable are the Zipp SL-70 (tops bite into the palms and drops are plain awkward for anyone with hands larger than a child, finish is super slippy too).

I use the Zipps myself at the moment :lol:

Funny enough, I found the Zipp ones to be the most comfortable after riding the Cervelo bars and the Aerofly. I now have the SL70 on two bikes. Different hands I guess, I wear large/xl glove size so not small hands either.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

JohnHinMD wrote:I agree with themidge's clarification. Tri/time trial bars or clip-on extensions, on a Roubaix, for road riding? No. But aero road bars, like the Enve SES Aero or Zipp SL70 Aero, for fast road riding? Yes. Why not. Been there, done it. Looked awesome. Have no idea of the actual aero benefits to my riding. History: happily rode a 2008 Cervelo R3 SL for many years. Experienced major back problems and had lumbar surgery a few years ago. Built up an S-Works Roubaix SL4 because i needed the substantially higher stack in the front but didn't want to give up a stiff pedaling response and fast road riding. Had the Zipp SL70 Aero handlebar mounted for one year, followed by the Enve SES Aero Bar the next year. They were nice bars. Was not enamored of the flat tops when climbing. I got nothing but compliments on the aero bars. After rehabbing extensively, I've regained flexibility and am back to a lower front end and riding a TCR Advanced SL with non-aero Enve road bars.

A couple pics of the old S-Works Roubaix set-up with Zipp aero bars:

Thank you man. Your bike looks pretty cool! I'll see what I can get. Seems like aero bar is a nice bling to have and another reason to go out and ride a nice looking bike! :)

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

clipsed wrote:I will take an aero bar over a round bar ANY day of the week. Climbing with a flat aero bar is 10000 x more comfortable.

And secondary to this, they look way cooler.

Do it you won't regret it!

OK this is what I needed, DONE! :D :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

DCcyclist wrote:

Sorry bro. I of course thought you meant clip-ons. Probably thought that because it didn't occur to me that anyone would have reason to ask about drop bars with an aero profile. That's about what your hands or eye like the most. Although I must admit there is a little part of me that is wondering if my original position might hold true in either case. :wink: