Putting aerobars on Roubaix? Cool or not cool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nothing better for your forearms if you are a fan of riding in the "invisible TT extensions" position. Super comfortable.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Weirdly the only thing stopping me from getting aero bars is their lack of compatibility with clip-on TT bars. Any way around that?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

DCcyclist wrote:
Oh it’s the LATTER!!! Sorry about the confusion. Yes I know the former is pretty dangerous in group rides. I’ve seen some people doing it and asked to stay off the back.

I can’t imagine why anyone would care, but it goes against the endurance bike ethos a bit. Aero bars tend to have fewer comfortable hand positions than a comparable compact bar.

Shrike

by Shrike

Lewn777 wrote:Weirdly the only thing stopping me from getting aero bars is their lack of compatibility with clip-on TT bars. Any way around that?

Some are compatible and are designed as complete systems like ENVE. Very spendy though. For the most part though, finding compatible clip ons for aero top bars is a nightmare.

You guys putting a strip of bar tape on your aero top bars to stop your arms sliding off when resting your forearms on them in that TT style?

I find the Zipps really slippy, and have spotted some guys putting a small patch of bar tape, couple of inches wide, along those spots.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Shrike wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:Weirdly the only thing stopping me from getting aero bars is their lack of compatibility with clip-on TT bars. Any way around that?

Some are compatible and are designed as complete systems like ENVE. Very spendy though. For the most part though, finding compatible clip ons for aero top bars is a nightmare.

You guys putting a strip of bar tape on your aero top bars to stop your arms sliding off when resting your forearms on them in that TT style?

I find the Zipps really slippy, and have spotted some guys putting a small patch of bar tape, couple of inches wide, along those spots.

I love the shape of aero(handle)bars, but I ride on my own mostly and I get a huge aero benefit from the clip on bars, plus I'm keen on enduro riding and bikepacking. There seem to be some aero bars that will accept clip-ons, but then they seem to make the clip ons pretty narrow. I prefer a wider arm base to add to stability, so reluctantly I see alloy rounded bars as the best option.

jih

by jih

For a lot of clubs, so long as it is during the TT season, nothing wrong with keeping your TT extensions on for a group ride. Even fine to use them if you're on the front and a clear road - can give a good long pull to a paceline. It's a lot of fuss to have to put them on and take them off every week, especially if you have aerobar bar-end shifting.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

jih wrote:For a lot of clubs, so long as it is during the TT season, nothing wrong with keeping your TT extensions on for a group ride. Even fine to use them if you're on the front and a clear road - can give a good long pull to a paceline. It's a lot of fuss to have to put them on and take them off every week, especially if you have aerobar bar-end shifting.

Yeah, it's surely not that hard. Just never use TT bars if you are behind anybody. It's very easy not to use them, some people make a fuss about nothing.