Super Record Mechanical vs. Super Record V3 EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which version of Campagnolo Super Record do you prefer?

Super Record EPS V3
39%
Super Record Mechanical
61%

Total votes: 66

Jitensha

by Jitensha

What is the consensus about the current generation of Campagnolo Super Record mechanical vs. Super Record EPS V3? Which group would you pick, taking in factors such as reliability, functionality, and obsolescence. The EPS derailleurs and shifters have been largely unchanged since their debut and one has to wonder how long it will be before they are redesigned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I doubt that the SR mech. can be improved.

EPS V3 could be a V4 next year or a EPS WiFi...

kurisu

by kurisu

That's a very tough choice. When well setup, SR mechanical provides shifts that rival EPS v3.
Having just started using SR EPS v3 on regular basis, I vote for EPS but frankly to me they both provide equally satisfying, yet different experience.
Litespeed T5 | No. 22 Great Divide | Ridley Helium SL | No. 22 Reactor

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

eps for sure. adjustments made only when switching out things, like cranks. otherwise, really not needed. mechanical I find you need to make adjustments every so often.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

+1

EPS is the only choice for me. I love to fiddle with things but it gets old after awhile.

themidge

by themidge

I've not ridden either groupset, but if I had to choose between them I'd go for the SR mechanical purely because you don't have to charge it. Also, as @Calnago has pointed out before, if a mechanical groupset stops working you can pretty quickly work out what's wrong, not so with electronic. And mechanical is lighter :D

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

kurisu wrote:That's a very tough choice. When well setup, SR mechanical provides shifts that rival EPS v3.
Having just started using SR EPS v3 on regular basis, I vote for EPS but frankly to me they both provide equally satisfying, yet different experience.

I have both and I would agree with this. I find multiple upshifts marginally faster with mechanical - even with the EPS V3 on the fastest setting - and there is that lovely tactile feedback that EPS can't quite match, but for racing EPS wins hands down for me.

TonyM

by TonyM

Mockenrue wrote:(...)but for racing EPS wins hands down for me.

Is it faster or is it easier with EPS?
Do you shift more often with EPS?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I had the same choice recently and economics (costs) never came in the picture for me personally. I chose mechanical for a couple of reasons:

1. I will be setting the entire thing up. No experience with EPS and have no LBS anywhere within a couple of hundred miles of me where I could take it to and have them sort things out.

2. I travel with my bike, so I want to be able to fix things in the middle of nowhere with very little. Not a choice with EPS even if the likelihood of failure is close to none.

3. Lighter.

4. I have SR in another bike and unless I swap cranks from standard to compact I could go years without even adjusting the cable tension a 1/4 turn. Seriously.

c60rider

by c60rider

I only ever buy mechanical gears and have 2 bikes with super record (1 pre 2015 and 1 post 2015) another with record pre 2015. I just can't see any benefit in buying electric gears. They're just a problem waiting to go wrong and you only need it to happen once miles away from home to regret buying it and I've seen that happen with Shimano a few times. Not many people I know have Campag electric. But a properly adjusted mechanical kit works perfectly. I like to know how things work and to be able to tinker with it. Electric I'm just relying on pressing buttons. It will go wrong sooner rather than later. Mechanical will last a lifetime properly cared for.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I've been very happy with my '15 SR mech. That said...it V4 comes out as wireless I may try it as V3 has an outstanding reputation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

How many people who voted for mechanical have used electronic shifting before?
I haven’t used any electronic before, but I generally hear from people who do, they won’t go back.
Chasse patate

TonyM

by TonyM

I have a SR 2015 mech. and now also a Dura Ace Di2. Yes I won‘t go back to mech. for my next bikes. And thinking about switching my SR mech. to EPS but the cost for that is quite high unfortunately.

kurisu

by kurisu

silvalis wrote:How many people who voted for mechanical have used electronic shifting before?
I haven’t used any electronic before, but I generally hear from people who do, they won’t go back.

While I voted for EPS, I can only speak about my own experience, but when clothing and temperatures are no obstacle, I still prefer the feel of my mechanical Record / SR groupsets.
So on a pure performance/feel basis on a perfectly setup system, I'd still give the edge to mechanical.

HOWEVER, in winter with thick gloves, or after a long day in the saddle, or when you change wheels and the cassette just sits slightly differently vis-à-vis the hanger to create noise or misshifts with mechanical rear derailleur, the EPS is the superior "La-Z Boy" choice and will ALWAYS shift perfect.

When I was researching EPS and reading other people's experiences, I thought the front shifting was THE reason why it was superior to mechanical, but frankly on my bikes with 2015+ mechs, once dialed in just right, it shifts instantly as well. So now that I've used the thing, I would say that it's not about shifting performance, it's about not having to change cables, not having to think about adjusting things when you change wheels, and not overshifting because you are wearing gloves.
Litespeed T5 | No. 22 Great Divide | Ridley Helium SL | No. 22 Reactor

beanbiken

by beanbiken

silvalis wrote:How many people who voted for mechanical have used electronic shifting before?

I have current record/super record and also have current di2 on Pina F8's. No experience with eps. Both are great but in a different sort of way. If I had to choose between the two............. but I don't, I can have them both :lol:
PS. I wouldn't opt for EPS anyway as i can't justify the $'s:(

BB
Last edited by beanbiken on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com