Caad12 Disc as travel bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dastott

by dastott

My best bike is a 2012 SS Evo Hi Mod but thinking to get a Caad12 Disc as a travel bike for rougher roads and descents when riding overseas. Have never owned a disc bike, or flown with a bike, but planning to get the Evoc Travel Bag. Will getting hydraulic discs be an extra hassle when packing the bike for flights? Is aluminum less likely to suffer transport damage? Any advice appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Why don’t you get a Caad X with discs instead. Gives you clearence for bigger tires. And is still ridable on the road with slim tires.

stormur

by stormur

Caad frame seems to be more fragile than any composite due to extremely thin walls. 2nd thing is (extremely) annoying rear break hose rattling in the frame- in alu frame it is even worse. On rought roads one can get easy some disorder .

I've been travelling with Evoc and disc braked bike, but mechanical. Squezing levers and taping them to the bar helps to avoid damages. Same removing rotors from wheels.

If you'll ride on "anyroads", cx bike can be a solution... but CaadX ? It weights 2 road bikes ;)

If you'll stick to roads ... can't see point of disc brakes. Alu wheels, road frame with clearance for fatter tires ( Domane ? ) and you're done. Less money, less weight, less hassle.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

superdx

by superdx

Things do go wrong when you travel with bikes. I'd recommend staying away from hydraulics and going with a cable disc brake if you're really keen on discs. Cables can be replaced at any bike shop. Hydraulics not as simple.

dastott

by dastott

Thanks guys, very enlightening. I like the looks and geometry of the CAAD12, and am curious about discs, but probably will save myself some hassle by considering other options. I do like climbing so a CX bike is not really what I am looking for.

stormur

by stormur

you can climb on cx bike... can't see any contradiction between cx bike and climbing. longer wheelbase mae it even easier on really low speeds.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

willmac

by willmac

I’ve got the new caad12 disc with Supersix fork and have no issues with rear brake hose noise and have ridden it on some pretty terrible roads. I got it as it’s got the same geometry as my supersix and so very nice swapping between them depending on the seasons and i get along well with the set up.

I can’t see many issues with travelling with discs. Hydraulics are usually solid once set up. I would remove the discs for travel and obviously take spare pads and a bleed kit in case something went totally wrong but not a big issue. It solves the problem of what wheels would you take if it’s the mountains and forecast for rain. I don’t see travel stopping many mountain bike riders from travelling with their bikes or resorting to rim brakes on their bikes.

I will be taking mine instead of my supersix if it’s 50/50 weather and i’m going to the mountains. As far as durability, mine seems pretty solid although others seem to have had some issues.

Pack it well and enjoy it. An evoc bag should be fine with padded foam around the tubes although i travel with a hard case myself. I don’t mind paying a bit more and having a big box if it means that i my holiday isn’t ruined due to some crappy baggage handlers.

Nobby

by Nobby

Caad12 disc is a great bike however I wouldn't purchase one with the idea that it is going to be any more durable whilst travelling (they are pretty thin in some spots !)

Have done a decent amount of travelling with carbon and zero problems even with very minimal packing.

Have always used cardboard boxes and will continue to do so. I have zero experience with the evoc although from seeing a lot of breakages with soft bags I personally would prefer cardboard (unless it's wet!)

Hydraulics can be a real pain whilst travelling. Resetting the pistons all the time because they've moved when the wheel was out in the box(can get fancy little plastic things but I didn't have any).
My fiance had a crash while away and needed a new lever. The country we were in did not even have hydro road bikes; period so had to order from CRC and wait over a week. Pretty annoying if it's also how you get around.
If you plan on doing a lot of decent climbing/decending you will chew through pads quickly and may or may not be able to find replacements. We went through 2-3 sets in 7 months.

I don't think ours did but rotors can also come of out of true.

Basically everything becomes more of a hassle when you're not taking many tools.

If you're thinking about rougher stuff maybe consider a tubeless setup instead?

Have fun !

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Nobby

by Nobby

Caad12 disc is a great bike however I wouldn't purchase one with the idea that it is going to be any more durable whilst travelling (they are pretty thin in some spots !)

Have done a decent amount of travelling with carbon and zero problems even with very minimal packing.

Have always used cardboard boxes and will continue to do so. I have zero experience with the evoc although from seeing a lot of breakages with soft bags I personally would prefer cardboard (unless it's wet!)

Hydraulics can be a real pain whilst travelling. Resetting the pistons all the time because they've moved when the wheel was out in the box(can get fancy little plastic things but I didn't have any).
My fiance had a crash while away and needed a new lever. The country we were in did not even have hydro road bikes; period so had to order from CRC and wait over a week. Pretty annoying if it's also how you get around.
If you plan on doing a lot of decent climbing/decending you will chew through pads quickly and may or may not be able to find replacements. We went through 2-3 sets in 7 months.

Basically everything becomes more of a hassle when you're not taking many tools.

Have fun !

Nobby

by Nobby

Have fun !

Nobby

by Nobby

Sorry, could someone delete them. I can't ?
Stupid app

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com