Lightweight Square Taper BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfracer03

by jfracer03

It has come to my attention that there are a several vintage cranks out there that are comparable to modern cranks as far as weight, but most square taper bottom brackets are typically 200-300grams. I really like the way vintage cranks look, but without a lightweight bottom bracket I don't see a reason to use one, at least when attempting a more lightweight build. The lightest square taper bb I could find so far is from Philwood. Are there any square taper bottom brackets that are less than 200 grams?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Record carbon BB weighs ~190 gr,

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I got one that's 140gr but it's basically oem. Two alloy bearing holders (30gr each) with threads for BSA and an 80gr titanium axle.

You might be able to find the stuff you need separately. Look on chinese wesites like alibabaexpress and such. They still use old standards to a large degree.

/a

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

There used to be some ridiculously light square taper BB s from American Classic - I recall them being below 150 grams. Phil Wood may still make their Ti square taper BB as well. That was darn light and bomb proof and below 200 if memory serves well. The American Classic was lighter but deteriorated faster. Might be hard if not impossible to find that AmClassic NOS now. The best and easiest one to source these days though is probably the Campy Record Carbon; it lasts forever and spins so smoothly. I recently got a Token square taper BB and it was just at 200 grams and super affordable.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

Keep in mind though that the Campy bottom bracket has ISO taper instead of the more common JIS.

liam7020

by liam7020

TA Axix titanium 145g
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jfracer03 wrote:It has come to my attention that there are a several vintage cranks out there that are comparable to modern cranks as far as weight, but most square taper bottom brackets are typically 200-300grams. I really like the way vintage cranks look, but without a lightweight bottom bracket I don't see a reason to use one, at least when attempting a more lightweight build.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it's hard to compare old cranks with new and old BB's with new because the configurations are usually completely different.

You need to add up the weights of the complete crankset/BB system in order to make a comparison.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ergott

by ergott

The Phil Wood Ti-Magnium is supposed to weigh 135g.

ergott

by ergott

bikerjulio wrote:You need to add up the weights of the complete crankset/BB system in order to make a comparison.

Most people forget about the weight of the bolts;-)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I forgot to add two titanium crank arm bolts. Come out to 152-153gr total.

/a

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

It'd be hilarious to see a square taper BB/crankset sized up to T47 dims.

jfracer03

by jfracer03

bikerjulio wrote:
jfracer03 wrote:It has come to my attention that there are a several vintage cranks out there that are comparable to modern cranks as far as weight, but most square taper bottom brackets are typically 200-300grams. I really like the way vintage cranks look, but without a lightweight bottom bracket I don't see a reason to use one, at least when attempting a more lightweight build.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it's hard to compare old cranks with new and old BB's with new because the configurations are usually completely different.

You need to add up the weights of the complete crankset/BB system in order to make a comparison.

I don't think the configurations are really that different. They are basically the same setup with the main difference being new technology and materials. Obviously the performance can't be compared but as far as weight with a newer/better or lightweight bb and aesthetics, I think there is some room to compare. There are other crank systems like ISIS and Octalink that have the same configuration as square taper, although they are becoming outdated and yet square taper is still being used on new bikes.

boots2000

by boots2000

I always liked Work Class- Looks like you can still find them on Ebay-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... cat=177805

It would be easy to get one- put new bearings in if needed.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jfracer03 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

I don't think the configurations are really that different. They are basically the same setup with the main difference being new technology and materials. Obviously the performance can't be compared but as far as weight with a newer/better or lightweight bb and aesthetics, I think there is some room to compare. There are other crank systems like ISIS and Octalink that have the same configuration as square taper, although they are becoming outdated and yet square taper is still being used on new bikes.

You used the term "comparable to modern cranks". Perhaps we have a different idea as to what constitutes "modern".

I have both ISIS and Octalink, which were already outdated 10 years ago. Not becoming outdated.

I was referring to current systems on the kind of bikes discussed here, that have been in use for a while , for instance- Campy Ultratorque ten years, GXP has been around about 13 years, Shimano's Hollowtech since 2003, and then there's all the BB30/PF30 systems and adapters.

If you look through a current guide to BB's here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/ you will notice that there's no mention of square taper, ISIS or Octalink. NTTAWWT and I have bikes with all of those, but they are all considered obsolete on modern road bikes.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

donald

by donald

I have older stork power arms crank that I started using about 18 years ago. It is 303 grams, 130 bcd, 172.5. I often used it with am. classic ti bb, around 105 mm. axle length which were around 138 grams. I never had a problem, still have the crank and a couple of bb.'s which I will probably put on some frame again. Just saying there are still some good lightweight cranks out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com