Can I make this bike a lot ligher?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

So ..... I'm looking at buying another bike, which will be used for long Audax rides aswell as my daily commuter (I commute over 200km/week), and average just over 350km/week with my quality rides on my 'fast bike' (Giant TCR) ....and I'm hoping to bring the total to 500km+/week from early Spring next year.

What I'm looking for, is a lightweight bike that will be good for climbing, and I will add tubeless tyres, dynamo hub, light wheels etc, and use Apidura bags on the longer Audax rides (I'm hoping to ride the next Paris Brest Paris, London Edinborough

Initially, I had my mind set on a Scott Addict, but looking at whats available 2nd hand, I fancy the Whyte Stowe Ultegra bike .... as it stands, it weighs 7.5Kg (without pedals) for a 54cm (my size), and has hydraulic disk brakes, thru axles, tubeless ready rims, and Ultegra. New price is £3200 and 2nd hand they are well under £1000

7.5Kg is pretty good as standard, and I'm sure that with some lightweight upgrades (such as wheels etc), I could get it just a tad over 6kg? ... (I still want a Scott Addict though 8) )

I must have lightweight tubeless wheels aswell and will use a Brooks C17 Cambium Carved saddle ... saddle weighs 400 grams.... heavy, I know, but I get on really well with this saddle for long distance) ....

so what do you guys recomend as upgrades, and how light can I make it? (obviously within reason and a decent budget) .... Herewith the specs:

"Whyte are genuinely a small group of dedicated UK riders, determined to produce the best bikes we can and not afraid to break some rules and set some benchmarks along the way. With the combination of engineering know-how, great design and the use of the best grades of carbon fibre and aluminium available, the rider and the ride won't be let down."
When the creators of Whyte bikes are coming up with their latest machines, confidence is their ultimate goal. Whether the rider is cruising around the city or competing in a race, they want you to feel secure on any ride ensuring you're in charge and not the bike. Whyte ensure any rider gets the best out of all their bikes no matter what the budget. In their eyes, there is no reason to miss out on all the fun.
The Stowe Ultegra is the road bike we've all dreamt of: hydraulic brakes, a lightweight and efficient carbon frame, carbon wheels and an 11-speed drivetrain make this a bona-fide dream machine.
Shimano Ultegra 11spd groupset including Ultegra full-hydraulic disc brakes / Uni-directional multi-monocoque carbon frame with carbon fork / Whyte Road Disc carbon wheelset
Colour: Matt UD/Aqua.
Frame: Uni-directional Multi Monocoque with internal cable routing, Post Mount chainstay mounted disk brake and full carbon dropouts.
Fork: Straight Bladed Full Carbon Front Fork with internal hose routing,Tapered Carbon Steerer, with Post Mount full carbon Dropouts.
Rear Shock: N/A.
Headset: FSA No. 42 Integrated Road, 1 1/2" lower and 1 1/8" upper Sealed Cartridge Bearings.
Rear Hub: Whyte Road Disk Carbon Wheelset, 28 Straight Pull StSt spokes, Alloy Freehub, Centerl-Lock hub with double sealed cartridge bearings.
Front Hub: Whyte Road Disk Carbon Wheelset, 24 Straight Pull StSt spokes, Centerl-Lock hub with double sealed cartridge bearings.
Spokes: Black Stainless Steel Spokes, DT Swiss Prolock Alloy Nipples.
Rims: Whyte Road Disk Carbon, 24mm Deep, 28 Hole Rear and 24 Front.
Tyres: Maxxis Relix, 700 x 25c, 170tpi, with Silkshield Puncture Protection, Folding.
Shift Levers: Shimano 685, Full Hydraulic, 11 Speed.
Front Mech: Shimano Ultegra with Chain Stopper, 11 Speed.
Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra, Max capacity 32T, 11 Speed.
Cassette: SRAM PG-1130, 11-28, 11 Speed.
Chain: FSA Team Issue, 11 Speed.
Crankset: FSA SL-K, UD Carbon, EVO-386 36-52, Compact Double, 11 Speed.
Bottom Bracket: EVO 386.
Seatpost: FSA SL-K, UD Carbon, 27.5mm X 350mm Lg, 20mm offset..
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Aliante Delta, Maganese Rail.
Handlebar: FSA SL-K Compact, UD Carbon, 400/420/440mm.
Stem: Whyte -6 Deg (flipflop design), 90mm 51, 100mm 54, 110mm 57 & 60.
Grips: Whyte Anti Slip with 3M Reflective logos.
Front Brakes: Shimano 785, Full Hydraulic, 160mm Rotor.
Rear Brakes: Shimano 785, Full Hydraulic, 140mm Rotor.
Brake Levers: Shimano 685, Full Hydraulic.
Pedals: None.
Weight: 7.5Kg.

I'm hoping to have a light bike that is setup like this:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wedgie

by wedgie

The Whyte looks pretty well kitted out. The shallow section carbon wheels should be quite light and will be hard to improve on without spending a significant amount. You might save a few grams changing the saddle, seat post, stem etc. but I don't think you'll get it anywhere close to 6kg. In fact, I'd be surprised if you get it close to 7kg.

ooo

by ooo

Very little choice of thru axle dynamo hubs.
'

Marin

by Marin

6kg is impossible to reach with a functional build while using a dynamo hub and a 2 pound saddle. It's also not necessary for an Audax bike :)

Save weight wherever it's possible without affecting function and reliability, and think about aero as well. Bar extensions?

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

This topic is informative, even with best component, difficult to reach 7kg: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148052&start=15

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Get weight data on that frame and fork as a reference point.

The rest can be changed. For one thing ultegra hydraulic groupset must weigh a ton. Go mechanical or sram red.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com