compression plug

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

C36 wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:I had the Cannondale compression plug, but I removed it.
I think there may be a safety issue with using compression plugs that are so small and light. Have a look at this video, the guy is an expert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnbjHiFXc
The upper cap is perfectly adjusted to the inner diameter then offers perfect support for the upper screw as cannondale do for last 15 years (was the case since caad-5)

It is or it is not. I had recently Caad12 and SuperX where OD of original topcap was much smaller than ID of the fork with tightened to specs stem; I could easy take it off of the fork :shock:

I know it's ww.... but there are places when saving weight is not worth it. It simply does compromise safety/ reliability. Compression plug is one of them( skewers are nr 2 ).
If, just if... somenes weight 55kg... maybe, but ... no.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

stormur wrote:
C36 wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:I had the Cannondale compression plug, but I removed it.
I think there may be a safety issue with using compression plugs that are so small and light. Have a look at this video, the guy is an expert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnbjHiFXc
The upper cap is perfectly adjusted to the inner diameter then offers perfect support for the upper screw as cannondale do for last 15 years (was the case since caad-5)

It is or it is not. I had recently Caad12 and SuperX where OD of original topcap was much smaller than ID of the fork with tightened to specs stem; I could easy take it off of the fork :shock:

I know it's ww.... but there are places when saving weight is not worth it. It simply does compromise safety/ reliability. Compression plug is one of them( skewers are nr 2 ).
If, just if... somenes weight 55kg... maybe, but ... no.
Thanks for the info, I haven't seen a recent caad12 manual or a superX one but I would be curious to see cannondale explanation on the lack of adjustment using kp017 piece on those 2 forks (unless the pivot is metallic).
On my caad5-6 or supersix evo hm the different pieces (campagnolo or fsa) are perfectly adjusted.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hammersss

by Hammersss

I bought that Cannondale expander bolt, Cannondale part no KP017.
I wanted to upgrade the one that came on my 2017 Caad 12 Ultegra, but was told after purchasing it that it wasn’t compatible with the 2017 Caad12.
Anyone used this without any problems?

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

uraz wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:14 am
The final solution is ditching topcap and expander all together.
Time does this on their bikes. Fork has threads bonded on. Genius.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 am
Time does this on their bikes. Fork has threads bonded on. Genius.
I believe, but may be mistaken, that this innovation came from Easton that first did it on their EC90 SLX Forks.
I'm not sure if the method was patented.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.