Campagnolo Movement......Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shillc

by shillc

I am hopeful that the company will continue to innovate.
Any thoughts on the big news?

Joe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am hoping that one day the company produces an instruction booklet where the English bit in it actually reads well and makes sense.

silvalis

by silvalis

Depends how reliable it is, and if they will screw the small independent makers/repair/etc like the big swiss firms did a few years ago (they stopped selling parts to anyone but the boutiques)
Chasse patate

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Campagnolo led innovation until the mid eighties... after that they have been following the trend.

They adopted wide BB axle late, they got to electric shifting late, they got to hydraulics last. I would not look at Campagnolo for innovation to be honest

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

What's the news?

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

raisinberry777 wrote:What's the news?

No news yet, I think. Time to make bets. A new groupset with a motor and another BB standard?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

torinb

by torinb

whosatthewheel wrote:Campagnolo led innovation until the mid eighties... after that they have been following the trend.

They adopted wide BB axle late, they got to electric shifting late, they got to hydraulics last. I would not look at Campagnolo for innovation to be honest

Well. They were first with 11-speed. And they introduced electronic shifting around 2005 (it did not work properly in wet weather, but they were years before shimano).

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Valbrona wrote:I am hoping that one day the company produces an instruction booklet where the English bit in it actually reads well and makes sense.

Hahahaha. But it is part of the cache.

I find that a glass of nice Brunello makes their English text much more understandable... and the Italian pages too. :)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Barolo. Better.
My moneys on a motor.
....But another bottom bracket standard would indeed be a welcome innovation in the industry. :roll:

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

torinb wrote:
Well. They were first with 11-speed. And they introduced electronic shifting around 2005 (it did not work properly in wet weather, but they were years before shimano).

So 13 years after Mavic... which actually went into production...

I am not sure 11 speed is innovation, pretty sure it was doable with 10 speed technology (or 9 for what that matters)

Miller

by Miller

whosatthewheel wrote:
torinb wrote:I am not sure 11 speed is innovation, pretty sure it was doable with 10 speed technology (or 9 for what that matters)

You don't want to give Campag any credit, do you? Yes they were first with 11 speed, 10 speed as well I think. This forum at that time was full of Shimano users banging on about how we didn't need another sprocket, the chains were too narrow, yada yada yada, now 11-speed is standard across the board and 12-speed is on the horizon. Obviously that will be huge innovation if it's from an S-company and just annoying messing with standards if Campag do it.

Lol. Sort of.

shillc

by shillc

whosatthewheel wrote:
torinb wrote:

So 13 years after Mavic... which actually went into production...

I am not sure 11 speed is innovation, pretty sure it was doable with 10 speed technology (or 9 for what that matters)

I think competition fuels innovation and simply different solutions for each task.
Shimano and SRAM are both well executed but I’ll stick to what feels best on my aging hands.
I’ve tried all 3, and I could get used to any. Very happy to have Campy as an option in the market.
Mavic failed twice to bring an electronic grupo to market successfully.
The other companies learned a valuable lesson from that and took their time to get it right.
As the smallest of the big 3 by a large margin, I hope Campagnolo maintains a viable place in the market and ups their share.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I think I'm right in saying that Campag were first with carbon chainsets & carbon brake levers. I the past they've supplied wheels to Lamborghini & parts to NASA.
Campag, Shimano & SRAM all innovate at some level. Even Rotor have their hydraulic group!
I don't think we are likely to see much in the way of massive change from anyone, but rather incremental improvements.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

joejack951

by joejack951

Does anyone else besides Campagnolo allow for multiple upshifts?

joe1234

by joe1234

I'm afraid for Campagnolo...I think this company have no ca$h flow to continue innovating...

I like much better this company than the others...I keep my Colnago Ferrari CF6 with Campagnolo Record 2008 (with red Ergopower) and now I SELL my gruppo Super Record Ti (no 643, 80th anniversary) and wheels Bora Ultra Cult Campagnolo 80th anniversary...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com