2017 Campy SR Ti chainset assembly-question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

As I’m installing this chainset, I noticed it came with 2 extra washers that I’m not familiar with in all my campy chainsets prior to 2015. These seem to go on the inside of the bearings, but after watching a doze YouTube videos on the assembly I don’t see them anywhere in them. Were those simply there for packing and shipping or do they need to be placed in front of the bearings? Tried both ways and when the washers are in place the chainset doesn’t spin as freely and smoothly as without leading me believe this is just for packing purposes only. This is not the wavy washer that goes on the non-drive side. It’s 2 additional whitish ones.

Please confirm either way anyone??ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by dgasmd on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just an educated guess on my part, but they look like a shipping item to me. To keep stuff out of the bearing before assembly. SR cranks don't have seals.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I agree, must be shipping item. I have the SR Ti five arm cranks, and the bearings go straight into the cups, no washer thingy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

dgasmd

by dgasmd

What I figured as well. I will assemble it without them, and if later find out they are necessary, I guess I can always add them. Rolls like butter without them, so can't possibly imagine how this is acceptable with them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Those are the seals that were in the Campy cups that got pressed into the Colnago Threadfit BB. I presume someone else did this for you? And you must be using Super Record cranks with the CULT bearings, so they removed the seals. While you want grease between the outer races of the bearings and the inner surfaces of the cups, all you want in the ceramic balls is a little light synthetic oil.
If you do put the seals back in the cups they must be fitted into the little groove of the cups carefully, before installing the crank, and not just placed in the cup before inserting the crank.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:Those are the seals that were in the Campy cups that got pressed into the Colnago Threadfit BB. I presume someone else did this for you? And you must be using Super Record cranks with the CULT bearings, so they removed the seals. While you want grease between the outer races of the bearings and the inner surfaces of the cups, all you want in the ceramic balls is a little light synthetic oil.

Yes, the seller I got the frame from pressed the cups in place for me. So, where do these 2 "seals" go then? Just like I have them in front of the bearings on both sides?

Thanks.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There is a small groove in the cups where the seals fit (I just edited my previous post to say this). I have pics of it somewhere in my C60 Build Thread.
However, the seals were removed at install because you’re using a SR crank. Don’t need them. Leave them out.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Some BB shells are open to the other tubes, or have a drain hole, so stuff can get into the shell in that circumstance. Some shells are completely sealed off. If it's the latter then having bearing seals on the inner sides of the bearings is pretty pointless. And the whole point of having a SR cranks is that they don't need the seals. Seals are used on Record and Chorus. The cups are one type for all cranksets.

In conclusion you don't really need the seals unless you have reason to believe it's going to get wet and dirty within the BB shell.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Just a comment: I use them on my SR cranks. They add a little friction, but keep anything in the frame from the bearing. But, to put them in, you will need to unscrew the Colnago cups and push them in from the other side.
Technically, the assembler did the correct thing by removing them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No need to remove the cups from the frame to either remove or install the seals. And even if the cups were not in the frame I would still install or remove the seals from the outward facing side, as it's larger and easier to access. Use a small pick or teensy screwdrive to pry them out without damaging them. I never use the seals with a Super Record crank with CULT bearings. It is quite easy for water to get in via the crank side, and with the seals in there they can just serve to retain the water longer than necessary. Without the seals, there is much better ventilation and even though water won't hurt the CULT bearings, I like it out of there sooner than later.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=1273840#p1273840

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Well, after reading all this info, I decided to leave the water seal in. My reasoning is not water. I live in South Florida where there is sand everywhere. Even on the cleanest road there is sand everywhere. You ride for an hour in any direction and you will find sand anywhere from your toenails all the way to inside of the crack of your butt. Hopefully this will keep it out of the bb a little longer.