S-Works 7 road shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cpac54

by cpac54

I had a couple pairs of the S-Works 6 roads shoes and was excited to upgrade this summer to a shiny white pair of S-Works 7.

For me the slightly bigger toe box on the 7's were a welcome improvement, but in the end the position of the Boa dials/where the shoe overlapped caused me big issues - the shoes consistently dug into the top of my feet, to the point of drawing blood on my first long ride. I remembered my 6's being stiff in the heel at the beginning, but loosening up after a while, and so I hoped the 7's would do the same.

In the end, no luck however and I went back to my old 6's and sold of the 7's on the local "buy & sell" website. Makes me wish I had picked up a pair or two of the 6's before they became obsolete.

I too have been intrigued by the Bont shoes. If I could find a local shop to try them on, that'd make life easier. Does anyone here have experience with returning shoes bought directly from Bont (if one were to order, say, two sizes to compare)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

akaspin

by akaspin

cpac54 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm
I had a couple pairs of the S-Works 6 roads shoes and was excited to upgrade this summer to a shiny white pair of S-Works 7.

For me the slightly bigger toe box on the 7's were a welcome improvement, but in the end the position of the Boa dials/where the shoe overlapped caused me big issues - the shoes consistently dug into the top of my feet, to the point of drawing blood on my first long ride. I remembered my 6's being stiff in the heel at the beginning, but loosening up after a while, and so I hoped the 7's would do the same.

In the end, no luck however and I went back to my old 6's and sold of the 7's on the local "buy & sell" website. Makes me wish I had picked up a pair or two of the 6's before they became obsolete.

I too have been intrigued by the Bont shoes. If I could find a local shop to try them on, that'd make life easier. Does anyone here have experience with returning shoes bought directly from Bont (if one were to order, say, two sizes to compare)?
Can you measure your feet first?

cpac54

by cpac54

akaspin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:54 pm
cpac54 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Can you measure your feet first?
I don't know, seems pretty complicated to me. ;)

In all seriousness, how accurate are the sizing guidelines from Bont? I've experienced with other types of footwear in the past where one follows a guideline but the sizing is wrong nevertheless - hence the question. If Bont's guidelines are bang on, great. If not, I don't think ordering multiple sizes to try is something extraordinary.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Bonts shoe sizing chart is pretty good but you have to measure both feet length, width as they show and it will tell you if a narrow, standard or wide is required per foot. If you have anything outside of a standard fit its going to take some time to get those shoes through Bont but if you are a standard you will be able to purchase them anywhere as that is what most shops carry. You also have to pay attention to which models you are choosing because they dont all fit the same but the charts will specify models anyway. There are many threads here on the Bont shoes so do a search if you wish to learn more.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Ronin416

by Ronin416

I’ve sold many pairs of Bonts and had great success with the Size Wizard. Give it a try. The sizing should be within a size of your current popular manufacturer shoes.

https://bontcycling.com/items/support/s ... index.html

The Bont Asian Fit sounds like the best recommendation for you since you mention having an issue with the heel drop of the standard model. Though Bont soles are fairly mild compared to the more aggressive heel drops of Specialized, Bontrager and other popular euro branded shoes.

I don’t have any experience with returning them to the factory or where they were sent from, so you’ll have to check with them.

Though all this sounds like a lot of work, your feet will thank you once you have this all sorted and you’ll be dialed for size and shoe brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tepextate

by tepextate

Anybody know how the S Works 7 (either standard or wide) compare to Shimano RC901/902s?

My feet measure 265mm x 105mm at the widest point. With the Shimanos, I get pinching near my little toes (they get pushed inward), even with the Wide size. Rest of the shoe fits fine. Looking for something wider in that area and wondering if S Works 7 would fit the bill.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I switched from the regular s-works 7s to regular 901s. I think the toebox is around the same size but the mid-foot and heel of the 901 seems to be a little wider.
More importantly, the 901s have a larger ankle cutout which means no pain-points for me.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Is there a difference in fit between the S-Works RD7 and the Vent? I assume they are the same?
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

ODC

by ODC

Ritsuke wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm
Is there a difference in fit between the S-Works RD7 and the Vent? I assume they are the same?
Fit is, for me, the same.
But I know a couple of people that have taken a size smaller in the Vent version because they feel more loosener/ more comfort (by the vent fabrics).
I love the vent version much more than the regular 7 version. Especially on the ankle bones the have a lot of more comfort. Also because of the special fabrics I have less hotspots then in the regular 7 or any other cyclingshoe.
The only down side for me, if you compare the vent to the regular 7 version, is to keep the Vent clean. One ride in heavy rain and I think the white version will look grey. Someone tips for cleaning the white version?

spud

by spud

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 am
I switched from the regular s-works 7s to regular 901s. I think the toebox is around the same size but the mid-foot and heel of the 901 seems to be a little wider.
More importantly, the 901s have a larger ankle cutout which means no pain-points for me.
thinking of going the other way but yes, Spec are more snug through the heel and midfoot than RC901. Can't speak to toe box issue because neither shoe bothers me in that area.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

ODC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:21 pm
Ritsuke wrote:
But I know a couple of people that have taken a size smaller in the Vent version because they feel more loosener/ more comfort (by the vent fabrics).
I love the vent version much more than the regular 7 version. Especially on the ankle bones the have a lot of more comfort. Also because of the special fabrics I have less hotspots then in the regular 7 or any other cyclingshoe.
The only down side for me, if you compare the vent to the regular 7 version, is to keep the Vent clean. One ride in heavy rain and I think the white version will look grey. Someone tips for cleaning the white version?
Keeping them clear is difficult because of the vent fabrics? I always use Mr Proper Wondergum (Dutch) and that works like a charm. I'm sure there will be something over there to. Luckily for me I would by the Vent next to my regular pair so they hopefully won't see any rain.
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

passionebici

by passionebici

Ritsuke wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:54 am
ODC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:21 pm
Ritsuke wrote:
Keeping them clear is difficult because of the vent fabrics? I always use Mr Proper Wondergum (Dutch) and that works like a charm. I'm sure there will be something over there to. Luckily for me I would by the Vent next to my regular pair so they hopefully won't see any rain.

Hi how do you apply / use this wonderspon exactly?

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Make it wet, squeeze it and start gumming/rubbing the surface. Works really well!

motorthings

by motorthings

Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm
Make it wet, squeeze it and start gumming/rubbing the surface. Works really well!
thought i'd gone to the wrong forum there for a second!

passionebici

by passionebici

Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks there !! Make the shoe wet or the wondergum?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com