S-Works 7 road shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

glander wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm
ODC wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm
glander wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm
ODC wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm
The last 3 years I have ridden with Giro Empire ACC (with laces) but now that I bought my new tarmac sl6 disc past week I also bought the S-works 7 shoes with it.
Tried them on at the shop and the fit was super. At this point I have already ridden 30 hours with them and I have love/hate affaire with them.
Globally the 7 is perfect for my feet but I can not ride with them longer then 2 hours because of the pain they give me at my ankle/ankle bone. I really need to take a break of 30 minutes that the pain is a little bit away.
Don't think this i gonna go away after a longer break in period.
Today the pain was there already after 10 minutes, came back home and switched back to my giro's. They don't suit my tarmac but better that then this pain.
It's a huge disappointed for me because I love the white one so much.
Someone knows if this problem also exist with the 6sub shoes from specialized? The problem is that at the shop they fit so good and I don't feel any pain. The pain starts when riding.
I bet its the varus wedge built into the sole. Pick up some inserts that go under the insole and take away the built in wedge so that the sole is flat like your giro's. Then go for a ride, if there isnt enought room in the shoe you can also accomidate for the angle with wedges placed between the outsole and cleat. Hope this helps.
I have custom soles in my shoes so not really possible to do something with that.
these go under the forefoot.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... Varus/DF6F

or these between the sole and cleat

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 2MQAvD_BwE
This is interesting. Do they make plastic parts that you can put under the heel area under the footbeds? Because my biggest problem like ODC was that the shoe was rubbing my ankle bones big time. That should alleviate the issue.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

@Glander, thanks for the advice! Don't know if I want to spent more money on these shoes to make them fit at my ankle. For the same that also doesn't work and then I have spend almost 400 euros = 473U.S. dollars on a pair of shoes that are not good for my ankle.
That's the reason I hope that there is someone here that has the Sub6 and 7 and can say that there is a difference between them at the ankle. Can have the sub 6 in white (new) for 100euro = 118U.S. dollars

Magnum

by Magnum

Can anyone tell me where these shoes are made?

guyc

by guyc

China

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

ODC wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 am

That's the reason I hope that there is someone here that has the Sub6 and 7 and can say that there is a difference between them at the ankle. Can have the sub 6 in white (new) for 100euro = 118U.S. dollars
Where can Sub 6s be bought for US$118.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

How's the fit/feel compared to the 5 and 6 shoes? The 5's are still the best shoes I've ever had. The 6's got sold because they irritated the top of my foot, so I'm a bit sceptic about cashing out for a set of 7's.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Same story also for me I sold my s6 and get shinano s-phyre wide and fell like s5 I don’t know what happen to them and change the shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Kermithimself wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:10 am
How's the fit/feel compared to the 5 and 6 shoes? The 5's are still the best shoes I've ever had. The 6's got sold because they irritated the top of my foot, so I'm a bit sceptic about cashing out for a set of 7's.
I went from Sub 6 to 7 and had to go down a 1/2 size. Overall I would say they are really similar with a little more room in the Toe box once you go down 1/2 a size.

bas

by bas

Had the 6, now the 7. Bigger toe box, not as tight around the ankle, way more comfortable.
Still stay put even under max load so I think they have found a good compromise between fit and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke249

by duke249

DCcyclist wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 pm
thumper88 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm
I got mine last week and love them but... Theyre just unwearable. They're cut a little higher out the outside than the three previous generations, and constantly rub the underside/front of my ankle bone.
This is super puzzling becuase I've been wearing the same size and used Specialized for something like 6 years and 40,000 or so miles. The pro, then the 5th generation s-works, then a sub 6 pair, and now these.
They fit so well in every other way but I can't imagine this is a problem that's going to go away when they "break in."
The dyneema material is soooo stiff there is no way its going to push down. Don't know whether to send them back and try something else or take them in to a cobbler and get 3/32 trimmed off for a couple inches. But this is an expensive disappointment.
I've relied on Specialized's fit for so long I wouldn't even know what other brand and size to try and it would just be a crapshoot because no dealers in my region to afford to actually carry in stock comparable models like the Vaypor or the S-Phyre.
So anything else is a real gamble that I would get the size right.
Yuuuuuup. Exact same issues. Ankle bone hitting makes the whole ride pretty uncomfortable. No way dyneema is breaking in.

I have 6s and these shoes are slightly bigger. Toebox is def roomier so that might be just a feel issue.

Shoes are also slightly heavier and new BOA dials are :thumbup:

Overall I'm a little disappointed. I sold mine online and would give it maybe another try with half size down.

I love Spesh products but will also keep an open mind going fwd and check out S-Phyre and a few others.
Same issue with me. I got 'em in size 47 and had sharp pain on the outside of the foot below the ankle due to the stitching/padding lump. I was surprised to see such shoddy craftsmanship on this shoe. I rode 'em for all of 2 rides before I took 'em back to my shop. I actually had the shop order another pair thinking it was a manufacturing defect, but it was the same on the second pair. Looking at the photo posted earlier in the thread, I can see that its just the way the shoe is designed.

Overall, the S-Works 7 is a huge disappointment.

duke249

by duke249

I've added circles to the prior photo showing the lumps of padding / stitching that caused the painful pressure point.
Attachments
S-Works shoe.jpg

dcorn

by dcorn

Tried on the 7s at the shop last week while wearing my current 6s on the other foot. The tongue on the 7 is 100x softer and more pliable, which is a huge improvement because the 6 tongue digs into the front of my ankle to the point where I have a permanent red mark there. The 7 is just such a more comfortable shoe, I really have to resist buying a pair. I didn't actually ride or walk around, but I didn't have any issue with ankle clearance.

guyc

by guyc

I absolutely love mine. They’re a perfect fit for me and make my precious Sidis feel like clogs.

seanlsc

by seanlsc

Am wearing a 6 now. Front of my ankle is always red wearing them. Seems like 7 is much better. Can anyone advise where to get a decent price for 7?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

Art's Cyclery is having a 'closeout' sale on some of the colors of Sworks 7 shoes. I just picked up a pair of the acid orange/purple for $230, they have some other colors in limited sizes for $300.