S-Works 7 road shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

motorthings wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:44 am
Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm
Make it wet, squeeze it and start gumming/rubbing the surface. Works really well!
thought i'd gone to the wrong forum there for a second!
:oops:
passionebici wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 am
Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm
Make it wet, squeeze it and start gumming/rubbing the surface. Works really well!
Thanks there !! Make the shoe wet or the wondergum?
I always clean the shoes in cold water with some normal soap, to make them "true white" again I use the wondergum. So yes, both the shoes and the gum are wet.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Sorry to bump an old topic, but wanted to get some input from everyone.

I recently purchased a pair of S-Works Recon shoes, which I understand are pretty much the same as the S-Works 7 road shoes except with off-road features on the bottom.

I did a quick 30 mile ride today and discovered the tongue digging into the front of my ankle on one of my feet for a majority of the ride. It's one of the "flaps" at the end of the tongue. Does anyone know if this part of the tongue will soften over time? I'd hate to return these since they fit well otherwise.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The collar of the SWorks 7 is very stiff. Sometimes the corner edge of the upper where it overlaps the tongue can dig in. Use you hands to really soften up the collar and tongue. Bend it back and forth and really give that part of the shoe a workout. The collar is also quite high which can be a part of the problem. A small heel lift or a relatively thin additional insole can help. And finally the upper boa cable is quite near the top of the tongue, be careful to make sure the tongue is pulled all the way up and do not overtighten.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

scoobydrew wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 am

I recently purchased a pair of S-Works Recon shoes, which I understand are pretty much the same as the S-Works 7 road shoes except with off-road features on the bottom.

I did a quick 30 mile ride today and discovered the tongue digging into the front of my ankle on one of my feet for a majority of the ride. It's one of the "flaps" at the end of the tongue. Does anyone know if this part of the tongue will soften over time? I'd hate to return these since they fit well otherwise.
Same problem here,i send them back and ordered Torch 3.0,so much more comfortable at lower price....

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

scoobydrew wrote:

Suffering the same, but too late to send back and I have this on both shoes. Higher insole never worked and now I tend to not tighten them, but always adjusting them as I ride.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:59 am
The collar of the SWorks 7 is very stiff. Sometimes the corner edge of the upper where it overlaps the tongue can dig in. Use you hands to really soften up the collar and tongue. Bend it back and forth and really give that part of the shoe a workout. The collar is also quite high which can be a part of the problem. A small heel lift or a relatively thin additional insole can help. And finally the upper boa cable is quite near the top of the tongue, be careful to make sure the tongue is pulled all the way up and do not overtighten.
Have two pairs. One was wonderful, the other had stiff collar on both shoes. What i found people do:
- keep sending them back until they get a soft pair
- get them wet, i mean really soaking wet, take a long ride or put them directly out in the sun.
- work it with your hands for a long time to get it soft
- (this is what i did) use a small woodclamp on the offending place and clamp it some days.

I did nb 3 first, had a clamp on it for some days. Worked fantastic. One shoe is good, the other one has one little spot left I'm working on. I put the clamp on and let the shoe ait with it between rides. As those small clamps are lightweight, they do not bent the fabric below the collar.

Oh, other soles so help as well. I use solestar. As they are thicker than the original, your foot is loftet a couple of mm. They are super for me, as i have really thin feed, but long ones... 6-8 hour rides, no problem now. Everything over 1 hour was really painful before

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Take a metal shoehorn and work the collar hard for several minutes.

kode54

by kode54

BadBoyR wrote:
scoobydrew wrote:

Suffering the same, but too late to send back and I have this on both shoes. Higher insole never worked and now I tend to not tighten them, but always adjusting them as I ride.
Heat the collar area that gives you the issue and push down the collar with a heavy object or some type of clamp. Try it and repeat if necessary.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm
BadBoyR wrote:
scoobydrew wrote:

Heat the collar area that gives you the issue and push down the collar with a heavy object or some type of clamp. Try it and repeat if necessary.
This has really helped, just used a hairdryer and folded back. :thumbup:

kode54

by kode54

BadBoyR wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm
BadBoyR wrote:
scoobydrew wrote:

This has really helped, just used a hairdryer and folded back. :thumbup:
Originally, I returned a pair when they first came out. But “molding” the collar a bit made all the difference. Glad it worked out for you.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Thank you everyone for the advice on "molding" the collar! Just tried this last week and after a few rides the pain is almost completely gone. I also added some thicker insoles (from my old Shimano XC90 MTB shoes) to take up some volume in the shoe. I will eventually switch to Specialized BG Fit insoles next time I'm at the bike shop.

I used a heat gun on the "low" setting, which really softened up the problematic point on the collar. I then took some pliers to bend it upwards at this point. I left it deformed until the material cooled down enough to remain in the deformed state. If you need to redo it for any reason, just heat the collar again and it will return to normal. (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your shoe during this process. Proceed at your own discretion).

I've posted some pictures below of what this looks like. As mentioned, this solves about 95% of the problem. I only encounter this issue when the top BOA is fully ratcheted down and I am aggressively articulating my foot/ankle (e.g. out of saddle sprints or climbs).

Ronin416

by Ronin416

tepextate wrote:Anybody know how the S Works 7 (either standard or wide) compare to Shimano RC901/902s?

My feet measure 265mm x 105mm at the widest point. With the Shimanos, I get pinching near my little toes (they get pushed inward), even with the Wide size. Rest of the shoe fits fine. Looking for something wider in that area and wondering if S Works 7 would fit the bill.
You could try ordering the SWORKS in their wide version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

scoobydrew wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice on "molding" the collar! Just tried this last week and after a few rides the pain is almost completely gone. I also added some thicker insoles (from my old Shimano XC90 MTB shoes) to take up some volume in the shoe. I will eventually switch to Specialized BG Fit insoles next time I'm at the bike shop.

I used a heat gun on the "low" setting, which really softened up the problematic point on the collar. I then took some pliers to bend it upwards at this point. I left it deformed until the material cooled down enough to remain in the deformed state. If you need to redo it for any reason, just heat the collar again and it will return to normal. (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your shoe during this process. Proceed at your own discretion).

I've posted some pictures below of what this looks like. As mentioned, this solves about 95% of the problem. I only encounter this issue when the top BOA is fully ratcheted down and I am aggressively articulating my foot/ankle (e.g. out of saddle sprints or climbs).

Trim off half of the hook fastener (very carefully) then trim the tongue. It allows more flexibility and room, also helps prevent the shoe from biting into your foot.

spartan

by spartan

new 2022 ares colorways. black discontinued . very strange

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/s-wor ... 141-187397
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 am
scoobydrew wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice on "molding" the collar! Just tried this last week and after a few rides the pain is almost completely gone. I also added some thicker insoles (from my old Shimano XC90 MTB shoes) to take up some volume in the shoe. I will eventually switch to Specialized BG Fit insoles next time I'm at the bike shop.

Trim off half of the hook fastener (very carefully) then trim the tongue. It allows more flexibility and room, also helps prevent the shoe from biting into your foot.

Thanks! I'm satisfied with just molding the tongue at the moment, but will consider this in the future if the issue pops up again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com