S-Works 7 road shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Example of heel lug play on a shop display shoe.

https://gfycat.com/SadShrillArieltoucan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

My guess is a rogue batch. 6 pairs amongst myself and friends here in the UK and all are fine.

AW84

by AW84

guyc wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 am

I'd say that's true of pretty much any white shoe though.

The material on the new 7's is very wipeable and doesn't have much in the way of areas to catch and trap dirt. Certainly way better than my old Sidi Wire's in that department (they looked grubby fast).

I wouldn't choose to wear the white ones in anything but good weather, but these are such damn good shoes that I bought a black pair as well for that very purpose.
That is true, however, the material around the ankle and the velcro will yellow/brown and there's really no getting it back. Some black in the right places would keep these shoes looking new for a long, long time.

On another note, how durable is the exterior material on the 7 versus the 6? With my 6s, if I just touch the tire with the tip of the shoe while sitting at a stoplight, it tears through the material to whatever it is that's underneath. I'm sure that's part of the construction they used to keep them light, but other shoes will take a pretty good beating without going through the exterior shell.

fritzbox

by fritzbox

ImageImageImageImage

AlexTas

by AlexTas

Got myself a pair of Sagan editions. Soooo good IMO..
Attachments
6D3AB261-A23E-4459-8137-F5E16C719F0A.jpeg
6114BC25-ABEF-4C50-A880-18425E0DE47C.jpeg

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

any news on a "sub7" release date yet?

dcorn

by dcorn

AW84 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 am
On another note, how durable is the exterior material on the 7 versus the 6? With my 6s, if I just touch the tire with the tip of the shoe while sitting at a stoplight, it tears through the material to whatever it is that's underneath. I'm sure that's part of the construction they used to keep them light, but other shoes will take a pretty good beating without going through the exterior shell.
I'd like to hear about this as well. I got a pair of red fade 6s and on my 2nd ride, my toe hit the tire and rubbed off the red paint, leaving a dime sized white spot on the shoe. Red color is gone in that spot, shoes basically f*cked on the 2nd ride because of a little toe overlap. Never had a problem with my white 4s (which are kind of shiny patent leather material) in the 5+ years I've had them.

So no way I'd even consider buying the 7s if the same thing is going to happen.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

thumper88 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm
I got mine last week and love them but... Theyre just unwearable. They're cut a little higher out the outside than the three previous generations, and constantly rub the underside/front of my ankle bone.
This is super puzzling becuase I've been wearing the same size and used Specialized for something like 6 years and 40,000 or so miles. The pro, then the 5th generation s-works, then a sub 6 pair, and now these.
They fit so well in every other way but I can't imagine this is a problem that's going to go away when they "break in."
The dyneema material is soooo stiff there is no way its going to push down. Don't know whether to send them back and try something else or take them in to a cobbler and get 3/32 trimmed off for a couple inches. But this is an expensive disappointment.
I've relied on Specialized's fit for so long I wouldn't even know what other brand and size to try and it would just be a crapshoot because no dealers in my region to afford to actually carry in stock comparable models like the Vaypor or the S-Phyre.
So anything else is a real gamble that I would get the size right.
Yuuuuuup. Exact same issues. Ankle bone hitting makes the whole ride pretty uncomfortable. No way dyneema is breaking in.

I have 6s and these shoes are slightly bigger. Toebox is def roomier so that might be just a feel issue.

Shoes are also slightly heavier and new BOA dials are :thumbup:

Overall I'm a little disappointed. I sold mine online and would give it maybe another try with half size down.

I love Spesh products but will also keep an open mind going fwd and check out S-Phyre and a few others.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

TLN

by TLN

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 am

I got same thing on my SW6. Just tighten the screw and that's it. No big deal to me.

ps. Based on reactions here I'll stick with my Sw6 for at least one more season. I wish they're a bit roomier, but they're great balance between stiffness and comfort for me.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

TLN

by TLN

TLN wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 am

I got same thing on my SW6. Just tighten the screw and that's it. No big deal to me.
Ironically I got back home yesterday and found one heelpiece missing on my SW6 shoes. :oops: :evil:
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

guyc

by guyc

I've three pairs of the 7's and they're all rock solid. No lost heel pieces.

They also don't lose the 'paint' like the 6's. Very different material. I love them.

ODC

by ODC

The last 3 years I have ridden with Giro Empire ACC (with laces) but now that I bought my new tarmac sl6 disc past week I also bought the S-works 7 shoes with it.
Tried them on at the shop and the fit was super. At this point I have already ridden 30 hours with them and I have love/hate affaire with them.
Globally the 7 is perfect for my feet but I can not ride with them longer then 2 hours because of the pain they give me at my ankle/ankle bone. I really need to take a break of 30 minutes that the pain is a little bit away.
Don't think this i gonna go away after a longer break in period.
Today the pain was there already after 10 minutes, came back home and switched back to my giro's. They don't suit my tarmac but better that then this pain.
It's a huge disappointed for me because I love the white one so much.
Someone knows if this problem also exist with the 6sub shoes from specialized? The problem is that at the shop they fit so good and I don't feel any pain. The pain starts when riding.

glander

by glander

ODC wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm
The last 3 years I have ridden with Giro Empire ACC (with laces) but now that I bought my new tarmac sl6 disc past week I also bought the S-works 7 shoes with it.
Tried them on at the shop and the fit was super. At this point I have already ridden 30 hours with them and I have love/hate affaire with them.
Globally the 7 is perfect for my feet but I can not ride with them longer then 2 hours because of the pain they give me at my ankle/ankle bone. I really need to take a break of 30 minutes that the pain is a little bit away.
Today the pain was there already after 10 minutes, came back home and switched back to my giro's. They don't suit my tarmac but better that then this pain.
Someone knows if this problem also exist with the 6sub shoes from specialized? The problem is that at the shop they fit so good and I don't feel any pain. The pain starts when riding.
I bet its the varus wedge built into the sole. Pick up some inserts that go under the insole and take away the built in wedge so that the sole is flat like your giro's. Then go for a ride, if there isnt enought room in the shoe you can also accomidate for the angle with wedges placed between the outsole and cleat. Hope this helps.

ODC

by ODC

glander wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm
ODC wrote:
I bet its the varus wedge built into the sole. Pick up some inserts that go under the insole and take away the built in wedge so that the sole is flat like your giro's. Then go for a ride, if there isnt enought room in the shoe you can also accomidate for the angle with wedges placed between the outsole and cleat. Hope this helps.
I have custom soles in my shoes so not really possible to do something with that.

glander

by glander

ODC wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm
glander wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 pm
ODC wrote:
I have custom soles in my shoes so not really possible to do something with that.
these go under the forefoot.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... Varus/DF6F

or these between the sole and cleat

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 2MQAvD_BwE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com