Short vs Medium Cage Rear Derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 pm
If i go Potenza the problem is i cant specify the gearing.. Only option is 53/39 11-32
You can buy a Potenza crankset in 52/36 and it is 100% compatible with the 12-29 Chorus cassette.
The good price im getting for Potenza is only for 53/39 11-32 combination.. Other options 200 eur more expensive...

If i go Record/Chorus mix, new Record parts will go to my C60 (20000 km there allready), and used parts from there (also Record 2015+), will go to CAAD12.If i go Potenza, just new parts to CAAD12, and no change to C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd never buy a crankset with the wrong gears just because it has a good price. I've seen Powertorque Potenza cranksets for around $100 but I'd never buy one. You'd then need to buy the Powertorque tools.

Here is $195 for an Ultra Torque Potenza crank:

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo ... 07592.html

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 pm
I'd never buy a crankset with the wrong gears just because it has a good price. I've seen Powertorque Potenza cranksets for around $100 but I'd never buy one. You'd then need to buy the Powertorque tools.

Here is $195 for an Ultra Torque Potenza crank:

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo ... 07592.html

The one im watching is Ultra Torque.. But just come as a combo with cassette.. So It's Ultra Torque (no need for tools), 53/39 11-32 (i explained compromise about this two msg earlier).

Cant replace the crank or cassette.. I saw the option to just change the chainrings, but they cost on potenza like 120-130 eur.. and for 200 eur i'll have whole crankset.. So have to decide between options i explained.. 53-39 can work on included 11-32 (but big jumps in middle of cassette. on 12-29 i'll miss last gear.. And hassle about changing wheels between bikes..)

And dont have experience with Potenza.. Dont know how good or bad to take it vs Chorus/Record and how mich weight difference will be between those two..

I also have Veloce 10S on my Pinarello Fp3 (this will go for sale), could not see any difference in function, even have multple upshift, but dont know about Potenza...So is it worth to pay extra in explained situation for Chorus/Record (or mix), or just to go Potenza 53-39 11-32 for that price difference?

wintershade

by wintershade

I think your real question is whether you want to go Potenza vs Chorus/Record.

The bottom line is while Potenza's is perfectly accepable as long as you don't "need" the multiple upshift of Ultrashift, the shifting experience is nowhere near as pleasurable from a tactile perspective as Chorus/Record. The Potezna thumbshifter is sort of spongy. It's also placed lower and a differnt angle, which I kind of prefer actually -- I find it easier to actuate when spriting in the drops. You get a little audible and tactile click when you push it, but it doesn't have that nice and solid click of the Ultra-Shift button. In terms of the downshift lever, it is also much less tactile -- it's a bit harder to feel exactly how many gears you're moving up the cassette.

In some respects, Potenza feels somewhere halfway in bettwen Campagnolo and Shimano -- you have the nicer hood ergonomics and more sensible (to me) layout with the thumb shifter, inner lever, and brakes all being seperate. However, from a tactile POV it feels much more "silky" and "smooth" like Shimano.

I put the Potenza kit on what will be my cheapest bike, which I itend to leave at my summer house and ride maybe 10x year, and it was mostly an aesthetic choice really (wanting a polished groupset for a classic steel bike). I was considering putting Potenza on a Bowman Palace:R crashable/communter bike, but I much prefer the feeling of Chorus and thus will build the Palace up with Chorus kit.

You might consider going into a shop that sells Campy OEM bikes to see what you think of the shifter ergonomics to decide if the extra $500 or so premium for Chorus is worth it to you.

3Pio

by 3Pio

wintershade wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm
I think your real question is whether you want to go Potenza vs Chorus/Record.

The bottom line is while Potenza's is perfectly accepable as long as you don't "need" the multiple upshift of Ultrashift, the shifting experience is nowhere near as pleasurable from a tactile perspective as Chorus/Record. The Potezna thumbshifter is sort of spongy. It's also placed lower and a differnt angle, which I kind of prefer actually -- I find it easier to actuate when spriting in the drops. You get a little audible and tactile click when you push it, but it doesn't have that nice and solid click of the Ultra-Shift button. In terms of the downshift lever, it is also much less tactile -- it's a bit harder to feel exactly how many gears you're moving up the cassette.

In some respects, Potenza feels somewhere halfway in bettwen Campagnolo and Shimano -- you have the nicer hood ergonomics and more sensible (to me) layout with the thumb shifter, inner lever, and brakes all being seperate. However, from a tactile POV it feels much more "silky" and "smooth" like Shimano.

I put the Potenza kit on what will be my cheapest bike, which I itend to leave at my summer house and ride maybe 10x year, and it was mostly an aesthetic choice really (wanting a polished groupset for a classic steel bike). I was considering putting Potenza on a Bowman Palace:R crashable/communter bike, but I much prefer the feeling of Chorus and thus will build the Palace up with Chorus kit.

You might consider going into a shop that sells Campy OEM bikes to see what you think of the shifter ergonomics to decide if the extra $500 or so premium for Chorus is worth it to you.
Thanks for very detailed reply.. If it were for some rarely used bike i'll definetely go Potenza.. But still not sure how to threat CAAD12.. As bike that would love to ride (based on racing geometry, and all good reviews), or it will be the bike not so often riden.. Anyway, Cannondale support totaly sucks.. But thats other topic..

LAst question.. Do u know what is weight difference between Potenza and Chorus?

wintershade

by wintershade

I don't know the weight difference. Maybe 300g? But it's definitely of secondary importance given how difference the ergonomics are, IMO.

3Pio

by 3Pio

wintershade wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 pm
I don't know the weight difference. Maybe 300g? But it's definitely of secondary importance given how difference the ergonomics are, IMO.
Thanks a lot. I decided to go for Record Chorus mix.. On yesterday ride i put more attention what gearing im use and how (climbs up to 12%-13%), and i realized that i definetely need 52/36 12-29 (or 53/39 11-32, but big jumps in the middle of cassette, and hassle between wheel change so i give up on this idea..)

Also i realized that i use a lot multishifting (one of the things that u are not putting focus since it's working so good and u are used of it..)

Now the last dilemma....And back on the topic :)

I got a good price for Short Cage Record deral. If i go for long cage Record deral i need to pay extra 50 eur.. Chorus short cage deral is 25 eur less (which i think it's not worth for that price difference), and if i go Chorus Long cage version is same price as Record Short Cage Deral.

So does long cage rear deral. work that much better than short version to be worth to pay that 50 eur difference, or to downgrade from Record Short Cage to Chorus long cage? (52/36 crankset, 12-29 cassette, 405mm chainstay, rim brake version frame)

On C60 i have Short Cage Record 2015+ and as i said 52/36-12-29 found perfect for any ride or climb i ride (so with 52/36 probably will never use 11-32, but who knows.. maybe in the years in front i lost some of my shape because of work/familly etc..)

Options are:

1. Just go for Record Short Cage

2. Pay extra 50 eur for Record long cage

3. Get Chorus long cage for same price as Record Short Cage

What is the difference between Chorus and Record rear deral except the logo? :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

For recreational riding 11-32 all the way, unless it costs a lot.

52/36 12-29 for racing.

/a