Ultegra R8000 bluetooth connectivity problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ivan

by Ivan

Hi guy's, I've got a problem with ultegra R8000 DI2 connecting to the E-tube app on android. Setup is as follows:
- Canyon ultimate CF SLX
- Ultegra R8000 (says on the crankset and on the delivery note) installed from factory
- Bike was bought October 2017
- One junction box underneath the stem with one button to press
- E-tube project 3.3.0 on android (Samsung device)
- When riding the bike, I can shift front and rear without problems.

Problems I encountered:
- According to the app you should press and hold the button on the junction box until the red and green LED's blink alternating. When I press the button for a long time, this does not happen. The red blinks, then the two LED's blink together and then nothing. The bike does not connect with bluetooth, not detected in the app, not in the bluetooth settings on the smartphone.
- According to the app and also according to Shimano website, pressing the button on the junction box twice should toggle between manual, full-synchro or semi-synchro, all tree modes are indicated with LED's. Solid green+red is manual, two blinks is semi-synchro and 3 blinks is full-synchro. This does not work, pressing the button twice does not give neither of these indications.

So allthough I should be able to toggle between manual and synchro shift and I should be able to costumize my shifting preferences with the app, neither of this works. Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Any input is appreciated.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

You have to read the Shimano files or reviews a little better; you need a DN110 battery AND most important a WU device that connect with BT. This is NOT standard factory delivery (even from Canyon :-))
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Ritxis

by Ritxis

No EW-WU110 or EW-WU111 no bluetooth party

You will have dn110 battery, but without any of the WU............BT connection is not possible with the e-tube app

Important SM-EWW01 is not compatible BT, Only Ant+ with Garmin and others

TonyM

by TonyM

I personally don’t understand why the manufacturers don’t include the BT device. They don’t « save » so much money.

Conza

by Conza

Am I right in that this will only be a problem for those doing a build? If it's coming from factory etc. no issues?
It's all about the adventure :o .

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Conza wrote:Am I right in that this will only be a problem for those doing a build? If it's coming from factory etc. no issues?

No, read the thread. Unless specifically custom ordered (if even possible) any factory built bike will not ship with a Bluetooth dongle for the simple reason that it'd be an additional cost for the manufacturer. I doubt most people buying a Di2 bike even knows that any configuration is possible…

mattr

by mattr

TonyM wrote:I personally don’t understand why the manufacturers don’t include the BT device. They don’t « save » so much money.
Buyers get all excited if they can save $1 per item, how much does it cost to upgrade to BT? $30? $40?

Whats the lead time from shimano, whats the volume availability, whats the added complexity in the factory?

Nah, let the customer buy it aftermarket.
Canyon are happy, shimano are happy.

Only the customers that want to play with set up (less than 10%?) are unhappy.

Delorre

by Delorre

Ivan wrote:Hi guy's, I've got a problem with ultegra R8000 DI2 connecting to the E-tube app on android. Setup is as follows:
- Canyon ultimate CF SLX
- Ultegra R8000 (says on the crankset and on the delivery note) installed from factory
- Bike was bought October 2017
- One junction box underneath the stem with one button to press
- E-tube project 3.3.0 on android (Samsung device)
- When riding the bike, I can shift front and rear without problems.

Problems I encountered:
- According to the app you should press and hold the button on the junction box until the red and green LED's blink alternating. When I press the button for a long time, this does not happen. The red blinks, then the two LED's blink together and then nothing. The bike does not connect with bluetooth, not detected in the app, not in the bluetooth settings on the smartphone.
- According to the app and also according to Shimano website, pressing the button on the junction box twice should toggle between manual, full-synchro or semi-synchro, all tree modes are indicated with LED's. Solid green+red is manual, two blinks is semi-synchro and 3 blinks is full-synchro. This does not work, pressing the button twice does not give neither of these indications.

So allthough I should be able to toggle between manual and synchro shift and I should be able to costumize my shifting preferences with the app, neither of this works. Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Any input is appreciated.

Something is weird with what you discribe. As others say, you need the BT module in order to allow setup with the app. But the rest of the equipment should be the most current onces, compatible with synchro shift etc. BUT, and there is a but, as I discovered with my newest bike (DA9170), a software update could be necassary in order to allow the switch in shifting modes. I connected the bike to etube project on my laptop, ran the latest updates, and everything worked, incl switching between shifting modes. Only the Garmin connectivity didn't work, as this requires the BT module, that my bike don't have.

I did the same with my orher bike (DA9070), ran the latest updates, set everything up such as shifting points etc, but as you, I'm unable to switch between shifting modes. Reason : I still have the older battery. Should have known it before I started :oops:

If I were you, I would:

1) connect the bike to a PC with e-tube
2) update the whole thing
3) See if you can switch modes etc
4) if not, pull out the battery and see what type it is.

TonyM

by TonyM

mattr wrote:
TonyM wrote:I personally don’t understand why the manufacturers don’t include the BT device. They don’t « save » so much money.
Buyers get all excited if they can save $1 per item, how much does it cost to upgrade to BT? $30? $40?

Whats the lead time from shimano, whats the volume availability, whats the added complexity in the factory?

Nah, let the customer buy it aftermarket.
Canyon are happy, shimano are happy.

Only the customers that want to play with set up (less than 10%?) are unhappy.

Only less than 10% of the Di2 customers want the Di2 BT connectivity?

I would say that 90% of the Di2 want a BT connectivity. Either because they want e-Tube or more important because thy want the BT connectivity with their Garmin.

TonyM

by TonyM

Complexity in the factory: 1 sku to order/ store; 1 minute more work.

And for bike >$3000 the savings are not huge....

mattr

by mattr

TonyM wrote:I would say that 90% of the Di2 want a BT connectivity. Either because they want e-Tube or more important because thy want the BT connectivity with their Garmin.
Nah, of the 40 ish people i know with Di2, most of them don't even know that you can even do stuff like that. They just change gears with it.

TBH, a good number of them barely even know how to use a computer.
TonyM wrote:Complexity in the factory: 1 sku to order/ store; 1 minute more work.

You don't work with many buyers do you? Our lot get all hot and bothered for savings of less than half a dollar, and that's on something that retails at up to $120,000. As for the rest, OK.

TonyM

by TonyM

mattr wrote:
TonyM wrote:I would say that 90% of the Di2 want a BT connectivity. Either because they want e-Tube or more important because thy want the BT connectivity with their Garmin.
Nah, of the 40 ish people i know with Di2, most of them don't even know that you can even do stuff like that. They just change gears with it.

TBH, a good number of them barely even know how to use a computer.
TonyM wrote:Complexity in the factory: 1 sku to order/ store; 1 minute more work.

You don't work with many buyers do you? Our lot get all hot and bothered for savings of less than half a dollar, and that's on something that retails at up to $120,000. As for the rest, OK.

Wow interesting!
All the people I ride with and have Di2 have the BT module because of eTube and their Garmin.

Well I do work in Sales for 30 years now so that I deal with quite a lot of buyers....I do also work in Marketing and that‘s my point that the brand has to address the consumers BUT if the consumers are not interested in the BT module then yes no need to spend money on that...

aaric

by aaric

I'll point out you don't need bluetooth to swap shift modes if you have the other requirements for synchro shift: you can double click the button on the junction.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

aaric wrote:I'll point out you don't need bluetooth to swap shift modes if you have the other requirements for synchro shift: you can double click the button on the junction.

Possibly... but that depends on the firmware revision. So first, it must be a DT110 battery, and second, that battery has to have firmware new enough to support synchro. While the R8000 series came out after synchro was available, it's entirely possible that the battery was old stock and doesn't have the latest firmware. Mine did not have it, I updated it over BT. Should be updatable over the PC sync cable as well.

Established that the OP doesn't have BT, if they don't have the sync cable, should be able to take it to a shop (especially the one it was purchased from) and have the firmware checked/updated.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

IrrelevantD wrote:Possibly... but that depends on the firmware revision. So first, it must be a DT110 battery, and second, that battery has to have firmware new enough to support synchro. While the R8000 series came out after synchro was available, it's entirely possible that the battery was old stock and doesn't have the latest firmware. Mine did not have it, I updated it over BT. Should be updatable over the PC sync cable as well.

Established that the OP doesn't have BT, if they don't have the sync cable, should be able to take it to a shop (especially the one it was purchased from) and have the firmware checked/updated.

yup: Good summary of what I implied with "other requirements".

I run a bike with the exact setup: new battery, old dura ace, and synchro shift works fine. You just have to connect it to the PC via the charging cable to adjust the shift mapping.