Routing rear brake cable

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

My Colnago C59 has the rear brake entry point on the non-drive side.

Do right hand drive countries really prefer the front brake activated by the right side?

I've always done left side - front. My Crux came with right side - front and I've been meaning to switch it back proper but I've put it off with the hydraulics and all. The Crux left me wondering if left-front was cross thing.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

My observation in Australia and NZ most have it right-front, and that's how the shops do it.
Like motorbikes, right operates front brake, I suppose.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

AJS914 wrote:My Colnago C59 has the rear brake entry point on the non-drive side.

Do right hand drive countries really prefer the front brake activated by the right side?

I've always done left side - front. My Crux came with right side - front and I've been meaning to switch it back proper but I've put it off with the hydraulics and all. The Crux left me wondering if left-front was cross thing.

Not sure if we prefer them, but most, if not all riders in the USA run right side rear. Just how it has always been.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Fiery

by Fiery

So far I've been getting the best results by routing the cables on the underside of the bar tops and having the front brake cable housing the closest to the head tube. This keeps it well out of the way, so I can set the rear cable length without about the front one at all. I find this works best with NDS rear cable stop.

To try to illustrate, these are the best two angles I've found:

ImageImage