Switching to a non cutout saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

from what i'm hearing, seat angle and shape may be more critical than cut-out or non-cut-out. but repeating what i said earlier go with what feels good
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

stax wrote: I am 3 rides in with my Meld saddle and am nearly convinced. ... . First ride was great till I hit a climb and I got a lot of pain on the undercarriage about half way up an 8k. Got home to find the nose had dropped about 1.3 degrees which I think caused the problem. Rides 2 and 3 have been better but hampered by the sore so still not sure if this is the answer. It does feel amazing on flat ground but rubs on hills. And we have a lot of them around here...

It may help to get Meld to check your installation/setup and where you're sitting on the saddle. From what others (e.g. jever) mentioned, it seems like Meld gets the cutout sized correctly, so people who adopt very aggressive postures (with perineums mashed into the saddle) still feel ok. Perhaps you're sitting too far forward, they can help double-check.

Speaking of hills: one bit that stuck in my mind when I talked to Meld previously was how the saddle was first designed for climbers (they did have skinny people at their booth lol). Specifically, the part where the wings curve downwards was supposed to provide support as we scoot forward on the saddle on steep climbs. How the saddle came to support other postures (e.g. TT aggressive style) came later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stax

by stax

@antonioiglesius- thanks for the advice. I will get in touch with them if I still get problems after I heal. Should have a better idea after this weekend.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

So I went to my LBS and looked at the, new to me, Romin. Doesnt look good for solving my problem. The saddle is oddly made. The base of the saddle is very very hard and the edges all around, inuding the cutout face up. If that makes sense.

Anyway. Oddly enough I saw a Ruby, yes I know womens saddle, in 143 with carbon rails for $145.00. The cutout is the same as the old Toupe and has level 1 padding. I think this might be the way to go.

I am headed over to look @ Fizik now.

silvalis

by silvalis

Saddles can be really difficult to judge just eyeballing it. You really need to sit on it.
Chasse patate

Alumen

by Alumen

bm0p700f wrote:tryt and see it is the only way to know. i use cut out and non cut out saddles on road and mtb. i find no difference in comfort.

Couldn't say it any better..., on all points...
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

So I ended up ordering a Fizik Antares Versus Evo on a cyber monday deal. See how it goes. I was real surprised to find that Ruby saddle though. The graphics arent too crazy being a womems saddle. It is EXACTLY the same as the 2013 Toupe. The reason I didnt go that route is, it appears Specialized is discontinuing that as well. SO they will have just 2 saddles with level 1 padding now in the Power range only. So I would need to switch sooner or later anyway as those Toupe's wear out pretty quick.

evan326

by evan326

When and what did they change on the toupe???

reknop

by reknop

fromtrektocolnago wrote:i found the cut-out helps on longer rides. You didn't indicate anything about ride duration. Seat preferences are personal and while I feel it works for me, I can't recall ever seeing any research that supports it, go with what feels good.

Some bike-fitters offer a saddle pressure measurement, which helped a friend of mine switch to a better solution for him.
He tested a couple of different shapes and models, while on the test-bike. The pressure distribution and measurement helped him to go for the optimal saddle.

I'm still pleased with the Fizik Arione VSX Saddle (with Carbon Braided Rails). :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

reknop wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:i found the cut-out helps on longer rides. You didn't indicate anything about ride duration. Seat preferences are personal and while I feel it works for me, I can't recall ever seeing any research that supports it, go with what feels good.

Some bike-fitters offer a saddle pressure measurement, which helped a friend of mine switch to a better solution for him.
He tested a couple of different shapes and models, while on the test-bike. The pressure distribution and measurement helped him to go for the optimal saddle.

I'm still pleased with the Fizik Arione VSX Saddle (with Carbon Braided Rails). :)

Never tried that. Would be something to consider if this fails..

evan326 wrote:When and what did they change on the toupe???

I think it was 2014 they changed the padding to level 2 and changed the shell material and partial shape ( there is a slight lip all around the saddle that was previously covered. ) Its no longer flexible as it was.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

So to finish this up. I ended up going to fi'zi:k’s site to have a look. I downloaded their app that supposed to tell you what type of reptile you are. I knew they would recommend chameleon for me but wanted to try the app out for the hell of it. Sure enough I was a chameleon. It recommended a Antares Large. I know its marketing hype but I never tried this shape saddle before. Being black friday and all their saddles were 30% off. I said F it and bought a Antares R1 Versus EVO Large, what a mouth full. It took a few days to get here from Italy. I threw it on and gave it a go…. After a couple twenty mile rides, zero issues.. It feels like it may be a better saddle then my original Toupe. It came in @ 175 grams. The quality is spot on and no harsh edges…

Heres a pic of the Toupe, you can see the edges in the cutout. and the upturned shell. It does this on all edges but the cutout is what rips me to bits..… Odly after going to the LBS it seems that a majority of Specialized saddles are made this way.

For any die hard 2013 Toupe fans out there, I did notice you can get a Ruby Pro on closeout. It's the female version of the Toupe. Its EXACTLY the same as the 2013 men's Toupe model. In black the graphics are liveable. Looks like they are getting discontinued so I didn't bother. As I would be right back in the same boat I am now after wearing them out.