9-32t cassette with Di2 xtr

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Plopplopdougal81

by Plopplopdougal81

Hi I'm after some help with a bike I'm building right now.

Bike is a brand new moots rsl cx frame I intend to use as a race bike but also multi purpose for road and also off road. I've previously used wide range sram 1x gearing with 48t front wn ring and an 11-36 cassette. I got used to it and loved it's simplicity. Gaps was not an issue nor was ratio.

It was lacking a bit for really steep climbs.

New build I is running di2 9170 shifters and I have an xtr rear di2 mech. This moots will be a 1x setup also.

I've found a few people who have run 10-40 xtr or sram xx 10-42 and xtr di2 mech without issue.

This setup is great for longer more off road but I'm also interested in the new 3t cassettes 9-32t. I could run a smaller front ring and tighter ratio gearing with no real downside other than price......

Question is will a 9t work with Di2 mech / shifting. Forgive me I've always run sram and Shimano is new to me......

I have a set of eastons new cranks so changing from rings for ride is fairly easy. Ideally a 40t or 42t front ring will give me good road gravel gearing and less weight.

Hopefully some one here can help?

Cheers Sam

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Well, 42x9 is only a slightly smaller gear than 53x11. With gravel-appropriate tires, that's a BIGGER gear than 53x11 and typical road tires.

Don't know about you, but I'm not going to be pushing that big of a gear on gravel roads.

42x9 at 100rpm on 700x44s: 38.7mph.

53x11 at 100rpm on 700x25s: 37.8mph.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Plopplopdougal81

by Plopplopdougal81

Thanks yes you are correct. 42 or a 40 and a 9t rear is ideal roadie range. For gravel long rides I'll flip over to to 11-40.

Perhaps a 40 ring from with a 9t will give good rollout and nice tight gears still with a decent climbing gear.

Question was more along lines of knowing if 9t sprocket would have issues shifting with and an xtr di2 rear mech.

Thanks for reply.

savechief

by savechief

I can't directly answer your question, but keep in mind that the new 3T cassette uses an XD driver body on the freehub.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

Plopplopdougal81

by Plopplopdougal81

Thanks yep already have one fitted on my tune hubs so it is easy for me. Weight saving should be good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I have no tried it but there is no reason this shouldn't work. It you're not doing really hardcore gravel you could use a dura ace or ultegra mech. It would potentially shift a bit better over the smaller cassette

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk