Garmin 820 navigation doesn’t stick to roads / acts like aerial navigation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dorin

by dorin

I don’t know in which other section to address my issue so if is not in the Road apologies.

Hi everyone,

i normally create my routes via the national cycling map page, used to convert them for Connect and import them into 820

since about september the Connect after imported as an activity once converted to course it wasn’t stickig to the roads anymore, pls see picture.

my workaround then was to copy the Gpx file into “new” folder and I had navigation. However since updated to 8.40 I have the same issue, it is navigatable but clunberstone, twice I took the wrong road.

does anyone has any tips how to fix this? Planning a route via Connect is a no go for me (road cycling not mountain bike)

many thanks for your advice,
Cheers,
Dorin

nickf

by nickf

Have you checked your settings on the Garmin? Make sure that lock on road is checked off. Is glonass turned on?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dorin

by dorin

nickf wrote:Have you checked your settings on the Garmin? Make sure that lock on road is checked off. Is glonass turned on?

Yes, is set for lock on road and glonass always on..wonder is service is the only option...

wobbly

by wobbly

could you try a plan from strava or openrunner as a test ?

A mate has just got an 820 and we will be looking to set him up with it over a beer or two this evening...
I may be on here later :wink: :wink:

dim

by dim

post the question on the Garmin forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-820-aa

edit: I see that you have already posted there :)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dorin

by dorin

dim wrote:post the question on the Garmin forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-820-aa

edit: I see that you have already posted there :)

I did three weeks ago, no answer hence posting here :)

I’ll load tonight once home a Strava activity and report back. I don’t like the 1030 is too big and loved the navigation ability of 820, was very useful on my long rides (it could even load a 325km route :D

Cheers
Dorin

mag

by mag

While the following won't solve the cause itself, it may at least help with the problem until a better solution is found (or Garmin fix it):

Since you seem to mention that until firmware version 8.40 you had at least a workaround, you may simply try to downgrade the firmware to some pre-8.40 version (let's say 8.00).

- first, the firmware downgrade will delete your data from your Edge so you'd better back up anything you care about
- download the firmware file from http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/ - Edge820_800.gcd
- copy it into the Garmin folder on your Edge (when connected to your computer in mass storage mode) and rename it to GUPDATE.GCD
- restart your Edge (and disconnect it from your computer) and let the firmware to install

Now the problem will be with Garmin Express automatically updating the Edge's firmware whenever it's connected.
What seems to effectively block it is creating an empty (0 Byte size) firmware update file GUPDATE.GCD in the Edge's Garmin folder and setting it as read-only. When at some point in the future you'll decide to update the firmware, just delete that empty GUPDATE.GCD file from your device.

dorin

by dorin

mag wrote:While the following won't solve the cause itself, it may at least help with the problem until a better solution is found (or Garmin fix it):

Since you seem to mention that until firmware version 8.40 you had at least a workaround, you may simply try to downgrade the firmware to some pre-8.40 version (let's say 8.00).

- first, the firmware downgrade will delete your data from your Edge so you'd better back up anything you care about
- download the firmware file from http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/ - Edge820_800.gcd
- copy it into the Garmin folder on your Edge (when connected to your computer in mass storage mode) and rename it to GUPDATE.GCD
- restart your Edge (and disconnect it from your computer) and let the firmware to install

Now the problem will be with Garmin Express automatically updating the Edge's firmware whenever it's connected.
What seems to effectively block it is creating an empty (0 Byte size) firmware update file GUPDATE.GCD in the Edge's Garmin folder and setting it as read-only. When at some point in the future you'll decide to update the firmware, just delete that empty GUPDATE.GCD file from your device.

Thanks so much Mag, I Initially i blamed it on the firmware, went back to 8.00, wasn’t aware I will lose it all, thought only the user data. But this did not solve the solution, even rides that in the past had fully functional navigation are now are having the same problem. Please see print screens below.
As this Appear to be affecting only me maybe I should just call GARMIN unless someone has any other hints.
cheers,
Dorin

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

(A wild shot, at least confirm this isn't the issue). Can it be possible that the maps downloaded are no longer routable? I.e. the roads are no longer recognized as roads by the device, just a bunch of pixels and hence the device can't tell the difference between a road and a tree?

mag

by mag

Yeah if even rolling back to older firmware (known to previously work) doesn't help then it seems more like a map issue.
Can you test it right on your device (create some test route/course there) to verify whether it will navigate via roads?

thprice

by thprice

Garmin have had years to resolve this issue.
Only way to make them listen is send it back for a refund and buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

dorin

by dorin

mag wrote:Yeah if even rolling back to older firmware (known to previously work) doesn't help then it seems more like a map issue.
Can you test it right on your device (create some test route/course there) to verify whether it will navigate via roads?

Excellent point! How do I check if a route is routable? When I’m planning it is stuck on the roads. But also routes I used to load in the past were fully routable and now no longer.

Wahoo Elements is no good for me as my rides in the weekend are in 100-150miles range, the phone will not sustain that kind of battery to have the gps active for 6-8hrs...

Cheers,
Dorin

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I think, for open source maps like http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, the routable option is available to the user. It may help to load a previous map that's known to work just to verify this is the issue. If you post a link to the mapping site here, those of us with Garmins might be able to take a look and perhaps try it out on our devices.

(Ok, I was referring to the underlying map in the 820, now take 2).

Steps taken:

"i normally create my routes via the national cycling map page, used to convert them for Connect and import them into 820"

I'm looking at the first pic from OP. I think it's a screenshot of the Connect app (?) So, the route created via the national cycling map page does not work after being converted for Connect. And since it did not work when viewed in Connect, I'm guessing it will not work when imported into the 820.

The question might be: what changed on the national cycling page, or on Connect? It does not seem to be 820-related.

(Take 3)

"I Initially i blamed it on the firmware, went back to 8.00, wasn’t aware I will lose it all, thought only the user data. But this did not solve the solution, even rides that in the past had fully functional navigation are now are having the same problem."

If the past routes were not reloaded from the national cycling page via Connect, then the issue is with the 820. If not, then it's with the national cycling page/Connect.

So... is the problem with cycling page, Connect, or 820?

dorin

by dorin

antonioiglesius wrote:I think, for open source maps like http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, the routable option is available to the user. It may help to load a previous map that's known to work just to verify this is the issue. If you post a link to the mapping site here, those of us with Garmins might be able to take a look and perhaps try it out on our devices.

(Ok, I was referring to the underlying map in the 820, now take 2).

Steps taken:

"i normally create my routes via the national cycling map page, used to convert them for Connect and import them into 820"

I'm looking at the first pic from OP. I think it's a screenshot of the Connect app (?) So, the route created via the national cycling map page does not work after being converted for Connect. And since it did not work when viewed in Connect, I'm guessing it will not work when imported into the 820.

The question might be: what changed on the national cycling page, or on Connect? It does not seem to be 820-related.

(Take 3)

"I Initially i blamed it on the firmware, went back to 8.00, wasn’t aware I will lose it all, thought only the user data. But this did not solve the solution, even rides that in the past had fully functional navigation are now are having the same problem."

If the past routes were not reloaded from the national cycling page via Connect, then the issue is with the 820. If not, then it's with the national cycling page/Connect.

So... is the problem with cycling page, Connect, or 820?

Hi antonio, many thanks for the hint, it took me in the right direction. I downloaded one route I knew worked and imported it in GARMIN, there as shown before looked bad. I edited it to stay on the roads and then downloaded as gpx and compared sizes: 360kb vs 35kb, obviously something was wrong.

I contacted the support of the National route website (veloland.ch) and voila they confirmed they have an issue and even if the option is chosen to include above 1.000 points the download has only 250.
They said it should be fixed next week, so I hope by then I can trust the National routes (all paved) and don’t have to hope google doesn’t send me mountain biking. Thanks god is winter so no new long rides.

Many thanks to all for replying and helping me solve this annoyance.

Cheers,
Dorin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com