BMC teammachine slr 01 size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

MayhemSWE wrote:
dcngr wrote:Im ordering a bmc teammachine slr 01. Its my first real competitive bike. Can't decide between 47 or 51. Im 166cm tall. Im using the competitive cyclist fit calculator and then using Ridley website for stack and reach. Im border line between the two. I've heard the smaller size could prove to cause neck and shoulder stress and go for the 51 for longer term comfort.

We don't know anything about your riding style, flexibility or body proportions. In general though I'd say if you have longer legs (compared to your total body length) you will probably want to go for the smaller frame size and corresponding shorter reach, while if you have short legs and a longer upper body you will probably want the longer reach of the larger frame size. Of course whether you have T-rex or orangutang arms will also be a factor…

I would say the exact opposite. The stack changes more substantially than the reach. 1cm more reach but 2.4cm more stack on the 51. If you have long legs for your height and aren't super flexible you would have too much drop on a smaller bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

You should be on the 51, unless your fit on your existing bike is all wrong.

A S defy alu has a standover of about 75.4cm as well.
Chasse patate

dcngr

by dcngr

morganb wrote:
MayhemSWE wrote:
dcngr wrote:Im ordering a bmc teammachine slr 01. Its my first real competitive bike. Can't decide between 47 or 51. Im 166cm tall. Im using the competitive cyclist fit calculator and then using Ridley website for stack and reach. Im border line between the two. I've heard the smaller size could prove to cause neck and shoulder stress and go for the 51 for longer term comfort.

We don't know anything about your riding style, flexibility or body proportions. In general though I'd say if you have longer legs (compared to your total body length) you will probably want to go for the smaller frame size and corresponding shorter reach, while if you have short legs and a longer upper body you will probably want the longer reach of the larger frame size. Of course whether you have T-rex or orangutang arms will also be a factor…

I would say the exact opposite. The stack changes more substantially than the reach. 1cm more reach but 2.4cm more stack on the 51. If you have long legs for your height and aren't super flexible you would have too much drop on a smaller bike.

So with shorter legs go for the 47 as the stack is shorter?

silvalis

by silvalis

dcngr wrote:

only if you are flexible enough. If you want to get the 47 and set it up identical to your defy, you're going to end up with a ~45mm stack of spacers.
Chasse patate

dcngr

by dcngr

silvalis wrote:
dcngr wrote:

only if you are flexible enough. If you want to get the 47 and set it up identical to your defy, you're going to end up with a ~45mm stack of spacers.

thanks. have decent flexibility, the feeling i have with current bike is i just wish my hoods were a bit further back.

silvalis

by silvalis

dcngr wrote:
silvalis wrote:
dcngr wrote:

thanks. have decent flexibility, the feeling i have with current bike is i just wish my hoods were a bit further back.

Reach can be adjusted within reason with stem length. The fitter will do that, just tell them you feel you are too stretched out.
Chasse patate

saba

by saba

dcngr wrote:based on the stand over height I think it has to be the 47. The 51 is very close to my current bike which is an entry level giant defy by the way which is compact with a sloping top tube. So how do i compare?

Link me the geometry chart of your current bike and I'll add it to my bikegeo tool, and will compare all three frames for you.

Also what's your current cockpit setup? Spacers + stem angle + stem length

xcnick

by xcnick

I would say size 47.

I’m 169cm and ride a 48 2015 teammachine. 675 saddle height. Id be in between sizes in the 2018 team machine and would hesitate to go to a 51.

The 47 stack height may look low but look at the head angle-it’s pretty slack which means your bars will end up higher because the stem will be pointing up more than the 51, if that makes sense? Nothing worse than having your bars too high.

Ritchie Porte is on the 47 as someone mentioned and he doesn’t look too big on it but he’s real skinny.

dcngr

by dcngr

saba wrote:
dcngr wrote:based on the stand over height I think it has to be the 47. The 51 is very close to my current bike which is an entry level giant defy by the way which is compact with a sloping top tube. So how do i compare?

Link me the geometry chart of your current bike and I'll add it to my bikegeo tool, and will compare all three frames for you.

Also what's your current cockpit setup? Spacers + stem angle + stem length

wow Thanks a mil!
If it helps here is a link to current bike specs https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-3-2011 , its all i have, no reach or stack on it.
Stem is 60, can't remember angle, took spacers out to get as low as possible. 42 bars, saddle height 66.5.

saba

by saba

Comparing your current setup with a Teammachine 47 (in blue) and Teammachine 51 (in red), with the following assumptions:

• 170mm cranks (stock for BMCs),
  • Defy Small with 60mm stem, -6 degree, 25mm of cockpit stack,
  • Teammachine 47 with 90mm stem, -8 degree, 25mm of cockpit stack (stock),
  • Teammachine 51 with 100mm stem, -8 degree, 25mm of cockpit stack (stock),

then you get something like this:

The 51 is closest to your current frame size, however, you're running a very short stem on your endurance bike, and the Teammachine is a thoroughbred race bike with aggressive geometry. Out of the box, both the 47 and 51 will be lower and longer than your current bike. Eyeballing suggests the 51 may be better. I'll let you decide with your fitter based on the second image which suits you better. Maybe the 47 with enough spacers will match the reach of your Defy?

dcngr

by dcngr

saba wrote:Comparing your current setup with a Teammachine 47 (in blue) and Teammachine 51 (in red), with the following assumptions:

The 51 is closest to your current frame size, however, you're running a very short stem on your endurance bike, and the Teammachine is a thoroughbred race bike with aggressive geometry. Out of the box, both the 47 and 51 will be lower and longer than your current bike. Eyeballing suggests the 51 may be better. I'll let you decide with your fitter based on the second image which suits you better. Maybe the 47 with enough spacers will match the reach of your Defy?

This is amazing! thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Im definitely looking for more race geometry, i just find it hard to get low on my bike, i have to force it. Will run this by the fitter, this is excellent :beerchug: thanks again!!

dcngr

by dcngr

protos20181.gif
dcngr wrote:
saba wrote:Comparing your current setup with a Teammachine 47 (in blue) and Teammachine 51 (in red), with the following assumptions:

This is amazing! thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Im definitely looking for more race geometry, i just find it hard to get low on my bike, i have to force it. Will run this by the fitter, this is excellent :beerchug: thanks again!!

No worries if im pushing my luck here but just our of curiosity would you mind adding in the 47 and 49 of the protos attached here, just to compare against a totally different bike?

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I’m excited bc today my 47cm SLR01 arrived. Good luck with your choice of size.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

dcngr

by dcngr

PinaF8 wrote:I’m excited bc today my 47cm SLR01 arrived. Good luck with your choice of size.

:D :D :D
Ah fantastic!! Congrats, a great day for you!
Can you post some pics?

47? Can you tell me your height?
Excited for you!!

PinaF8

by PinaF8

dcngr wrote:
PinaF8 wrote:I’m excited bc today my 47cm SLR01 arrived. Good luck with your choice of size.

:D :D :D
Ah fantastic!! Congrats, a great day for you!
Can you post some pics?

47? Can you tell me your height?
Excited for you!!

I’m 170cm and BMC included a longer seat post to accommodate my 70cm saddle height. I could’ve gone with 51cm but the TT was at 53.5cm which will exceed my liking.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com