PF30 frameset: best BB/ spindle crankset options ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I want to buy a new crankset for the Norco Tactic SL frameset, wich is PF30 BB.
I' m leaning for a Rotor 3D ( with P2Max NGeco), but thinking a 24mm steel spindle, with a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 to 24mm threaded BB adaptor would be the best, tight and reliable, durable option.
Press fit BB's have been less than acceptable so far, and the BB30 actual crank ( non PM friendly) has to go.
Any other ideas for PF30 frame ? Light and affordale always being the target.
Louis :)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

As a man with 3 pf30 frames (or 2 pf30 and one osbb) i would say use a bb30 crank. Depends what you want from a pm. I have 3 stages (2x cannondale and 1x sram carbon stages, coming from a quarq specialized) they work well.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Lightest (or close) and affordable would be stages rival arm with a red crankset, 690 grams or so. The carbon arm is lighter but much more. Problem is you have to source the rival arm thru ebay, unless you can ride a 170...there's a deal somewhere on those I found thru google. Used elsa's are reliable, and same-ish net cost, but 100g heavier or so.

No comment on the bb other than to say that my wheels pf30/hollogram crank stages combo on a supersix has been creak free (and the angular bearings very free) installed with loctite, but I'm a smallish guy so ymmd. The delrin 24mm adaptors on previously with a DA crank were a bit draggy, but ok in actual use.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

1415chris

by 1415chris

If Rotor 3D, why not 30mm spindle version?

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, I finally opted for a 3D+ 30mm spindle crankset with P2M NGeco, and Wheels Manufacturing threaded PF30 BB. Saved around 150g over a 24mm axle 3D24 and PF30 to 24 BB.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com