Is it too late to purchase a Colnago C60?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Is it too late to purchase a Colnago C60

Poll ended at Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 am

Yes, the C60 is nearing the end of its life and it is not a good time to buy
16%
No, the C60 will be for sale at least through 2018 and it is a great time to buy
64%
The C59 is better than the C60 because it is the last flagship Colnago with a BSA bottom bracket
20%

Total votes: 91

Jitensha

by Jitensha

MattN wrote:Ok, but I can't find anything definitive about transfers being used on the other models.
Now that I own the C60, I am going to order spare decals. The decals on the chain stay were already damaged and peeling right out of the box from Colnago. I know that in 3-4 years Colnago will not have stock of the replacement graphics. I will update this thread explaining what colors are and are not available to order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Jitensha wrote:
MattN wrote:Ok, but I can't find anything definitive about transfers being used on the other models.
Now that I own the C60, I am going to order spare decals. The decals on the chain stay were already damaged and peeling right out of the box from Colnago. I know that in 3-4 years Colnago will not have stock of the replacement graphics. I will update this thread explaining what colors are and are not available to order.
Are you saying there's no clearcoat over the decals on your C60, and you're just able to peel them off like a sticker stuck on after the paint process?? Wow... that's news to me. How about some closeup pics of that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattN

by MattN

Calnago wrote:
Jitensha wrote:
Are you saying there's no clearcoat over the decals on your C60, and you're just able to peel them off like a sticker stuck on after the paint process?? Wow... that's news to me. How about some closeup pics of that.
That's what I'm trying to establish, it's news to me that they are using un- clear coated transfers rather than painted decals.

Jitensha

by Jitensha

MattN wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Jitensha wrote:
That's what I'm trying to establish, it's news to me that they are using un- clear coated transfers rather than painted decals.
Yes, on finishes like PLWH Colnago uses adhesive stickers. If you look at detail shots of pro teams using the C60 you’ll notice chucks of the letters missing since the bikes are power washed and loaded/unloaded from team cars and trucks.

morganb

by morganb

jimaizumi wrote:I've just taken a quick fly through this thread and I can't help to notice that more than half the posts are about tire clearance more so than the ride qualities of the particular frame this poster is regarding. Frankly, I think we can all pretty much agree that each rendition of Colnago's C-series has had their particular ride qualities that seems to attract a legacy buyers from one frame to another. The C-60 is my first Colnago frame and I have nothing but good things to say about it..

I'm not sure what the next generation of C's will bring but may bring some minor improvements though I've heard that the C-60's were a bit harsher than its predecessor, the C-59. Waiting for the new model to be announced on brings upon the risk that you may not be able to order a C-60 should you not like the next release....its a risk we all have to take.

For me, I'd love to get my hands on an Extreme Power.
I passed on an Extreme Power that came up a few years ago in lieu of something newer and regret it on a regular basis.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, if you see something you love, just get it. I did not need a C60, but when I came across one in the PR99 color scheme, I snapped it up instantly. No regrets. To this day I have not seen another C60 in that colorway. I still don’t know the backstory on its origination. I have my theory but that’s all it is, a theory.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

morganb wrote:
jimaizumi wrote:I've just taken a quick fly through this thread and I can't help to notice that more than half the posts are about tire clearance more so than the ride qualities of the particular frame this poster is regarding. Frankly, I think we can all pretty much agree that each rendition of Colnago's C-series has had their particular ride qualities that seems to attract a legacy buyers from one frame to another. The C-60 is my first Colnago frame and I have nothing but good things to say about it..

I'm not sure what the next generation of C's will bring but may bring some minor improvements though I've heard that the C-60's were a bit harsher than its predecessor, the C-59. Waiting for the new model to be announced on brings upon the risk that you may not be able to order a C-60 should you not like the next release....its a risk we all have to take.

For me, I'd love to get my hands on an Extreme Power.
I passed on an Extreme Power that came up a few years ago in lieu of something newer and regret it on a regular basis.
I hate to make you feel bad, but I have an Extreme Power, EPS and C60. For me (only 150lbs), the Extreme Power is the better of the three. But my friend, who is 200lbs, just bought a second C60 because he liked it so much.

Digger90

by Digger90

I had two C59s and rather stupidly sold them both. REALLY wish I hadn't!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Digger90 wrote:I had two C59s and rather stupidly sold them both. REALLY wish I hadn't!
i love hearing that, but can't tell you how many people i heard dissing the bike saying it wasn't stiff enough. But for the type of riding i do, i think i was meant for the extreme c
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

A C59 not stiff enough? I think it's just about perfect.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Jitensha wrote:
MattN wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Jitensha wrote: Now that I own the C60, I am going to order spare decals. The decals on the chain stay were already damaged and peeling right out of the box from Colnago. I know that in 3-4 years Colnago will not have stock of the replacement graphics. I will update this thread explaining what colors are and are not available to order.
Yes, on finishes like PLWH Colnago uses adhesive stickers. If you look at detail shots of pro teams using the C60 you’ll notice chucks of the letters missing since the bikes are power washed and loaded/unloaded from team cars and trucks.
Those aren't decals. It's layers paint and stencil work.

Here's some paint loss on my 2014 C60. Notice that scratches look textured.

Jitensha

by Jitensha

They are decals on my 2018 PLWH C60. I would be happy to peel them off and mail them to you if you would like to debate the point.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Jitensha: would you be able to post pics of your frame and tell us which are decals and which are paint? I too, like @Beeatnik above, kind of thought that maybe you were confusing the rather thick paint edges (byproduct of removing the stencils) with a sticker, but it seems you are not. And any decals that I’m aware of typically are covered with a thick coat(s) of clear. I know my C60 is, but since yours is matte that’s not the case. I know that my C59 in matte black also has some clear matte finish over it which has held up extremely well and makes cleaning a breeze, which is not always the case with matte finishes. Thanks, I’m just curious at this point.

AJS914

by AJS914

It could be a QC issue. Maybe they forgot to do a last clear coat on his frame?

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Yep, his frame has to be an outlier. And unless he's touched the team frames, I'm not convinced the photo posted shows a decal.

Edit: Just found this on Glory's site

Colnago C60 has 3 categories for graphics. These categories are for graphics only, frames are all the same .
§ “Race” which features lighter-weight matte finishes and/or ultra light vinyl graphics
§ “Italy” which features clean Italian themed colors and graphics in matte and gloss finishes
§ “Classic” which features graphic elements long-associated with Colnago Italian hand-painted frames and high gloss
Last edited by beeatnik on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com