First power meter - guidance and feedback please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naylor343

by naylor343

Power2max, It works, period. Try an internet search and see how many negative reviews or failures you find, I think you would struggle to find many. I have had 2 units form them since they first started and neither has failed me once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ TheBlackPath - yep, they are not lightweight, but similar to others in that level and with alloy arms (<800g for 172.5 and compact).
If I was lighter and had more money, I'd look at other options.

@ naylor343 - I'd agree with you there and am really looking to get the spider for my Spesh cranks, as that's the neatest and easiest solution. But, the best price I can seem to get for a new one (NGeco or Type S) is A$923 landed (from Power2Max.de - shipping is the killer). Haven't found any S/H in compact at all.

The FSA Powerbox, albeit a bit porky combines two good things - affordable and uses P2M gear.

Trouble is the site with the best price is powermeter24.com and the reviews are mixed - any experience ?

naylor343

by naylor343

MichaelB wrote:
The FSA Powerbox, albeit a bit porky combines two good things - affordable and uses P2M gear.

Trouble is the site with the best price is powermeter24.com and the reviews are mixed - any experience ?

No experience of pm24, sorry. I was interested in the FSA powerbox when I was looking for my second power meter, but the p2max summer sale was on and I got a great deal on a rotor 3d type s. When I was doing some research on the FSA, my only concern was chainring compatability. I could not get a 100% accurate answer, but I 'think' that the spider pattern may be unique to the FSA rings and not the same as other 4 hole patterns. Others on here may possibly be able to confirm? Good luck with the search.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I finally seem to have it sorted now. Will either be getting P2M Types S or NGeco from the Aus agent as part of their Black Friday sale. The Type S is A$699 or eco A$799 and get a free set of Praxis rings to boot.

Only slight downside is that if it’s the Type S, it may take a while to get from Germany as Oz had no stock.

Either way, result is great with a new product, in budget with a local warranty. I get to keep my crank and pedals, no special B.B. or tools or proprietary rings, so win all round.

Thanks for all the help guys. :beerchug:

Michael