First power meter - guidance and feedback please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hiya, looking finally after much debating and putting off on getting a PM as a sort of training tool (won’t be full on serious as in training to go racing, but more of a semi-focussed training tool) . Only have one bike, so swappability is not a factor.

Other key constraint is budget. Limiting to A$750 (USD$600 or thereabouts).

So that means I’m looking at the single sided pedals - Powertap P1, Assimo UNO and maybe Vector 3.

For the crank based, if a special occurs, the NGeco may squeak in, or the FSA Powerbox (A$690 ish) gets in.

Can’t use the PT C1 as it doesn’t fit on my cranks (checked the compatibility chart).

Other options are used or NOS. One NOS example that looks good is a Quarq Riken that is BNIB and even is the right BB and compact. Current landed price would be about A$700.

Let me know thoughts on recommendations and use history.

On a side note, I know dual sided is better, and considering I had an motor vehicle accident 32 years ago which left me with a slightly shorter L femur with 15 deg outwards rotation and that I tend to limp ever so slightly when tired, so maybe it's something that I need to alter my budget to aim for.

Oh, I use SPD-SL pedals, so if there was a shimano pedal version, I’d probably go with that !

Oh, if anyone has a s/h unit for sale, my requirements are :
- BB30 compatible,
- compact spider,
- 172.5mm arms preferred (175mm OK)
- Spider for Specialized s-works crank is also acceptable rather than whole crank.

Ta
Michael

glepore

by glepore

I've had SRM, pt,currently stages and now a Quark elsa. They all have their issues, and they all work well when they're working. The simple fact is that they're sensitive devices. They can break and fail. That said, I've never had one quit. I've had SRM's that needed batteries replaced, and stages that ate batteries after wet rides. Quarks are funky if you change rings until they settle. They're allegedly fragile. I've not seen that. But I don't do 6 hour rain rides. My point? Buy what's in your budget and really learn how to use it. They all work, and they all have foibles.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Ta. Much appreciated :thumbup:

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Powerbox gets my vote, it comes in your budget and it's more or less a power2max NGeco. I've had a p2m classic for about 4 years now, and it's still going well on my cx bike.

junchen

by junchen

Are the newer fsa 4 arm chainring compatible with shimano 4 arms?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

evan326

by evan326

4iiii

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I have a Stages power meter and don't hesitate to recommend them. However the NGeco looks very nice for the money. Two sided measurement and only a small price upgrade for pedaling dynamics of that every becomes a thing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

If you are looking for recommendations and direct experience, read Ray’s blog www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/power-meter ... ition.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The problem is all sorted much sooner than I thought. Put a low ball offer on a Qarq Riken that fits the bill and it got accepted. Under A$600 delivered too.

Will be interesting to get started using it !!

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

Assioma Uno. No doubts...

read this thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148289

boots2000

by boots2000

Why not a used SRM spider? They well for cheap- fits right on your Specialized arms.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TheBlackPath wrote:Assioma Uno. No doubts...

Yep, read that thread, and they were the pedal choice or the FSA Power box for cranks if it went that way.

And @ boots2000 - couldn't find any, and others that were available for the Spesh spider were either 130BCD, or out of my budget.

Quarq is now paid for and about to be shipped, so time to do some reading whilst it wings it's way from USA to Oz. :D

boots2000

by boots2000

Quarq is also nice and relatively affordable. A better decision than pedals or Stages IMO.

MichaelB wrote:
TheBlackPath wrote:Assioma Uno. No doubts...

Yep, read that thread, and they were the pedal choice or the FSA Power box for cranks if it went that way.

And @ boots2000 - couldn't find any, and others that were available for the Spesh spider were either 130BCD, or out of my budget.

Quarq is now paid for and about to be shipped, so time to do some reading whilst it wings it's way from USA to Oz. :D

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Well it all unravels pretty quick. Mob decided (apparently recent company policy change due to issues in returning/resolving if there are issues for OS customers) that they would cancel the order and issue the refund. :( :|

So, back to the shopping isles again !!!

There is a new Quarq Riken available, but is another A$100 more than the last one, so seeing how the bank balance is.

Looking at the FSA Powerbox closer, note that you are tied in with their chainrings, so that becomes a bit of a turn-off.

Hmmmmm b :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

MichaelB wrote:Well it all unravels pretty quick. Mob decided (apparently recent company policy change due to issues in returning/resolving if there are issues for OS customers) that they would cancel the order and issue the refund. :( :|

So, back to the shopping isles again !!!

There is a new Quarq Riken available, but is another A$100 more than the last one, so seeing how the bank balance is.

Looking at the FSA Powerbox closer, note that you are tied in with their chainrings, so that becomes a bit of a turn-off.

Hmmmmm b :unbelievable:

Powerbox is heavy no?...