SRAM HydroR shifters on compact bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorapido

by motorapido

Swapping over to a comact bend no brand one piece carbon bar/stem combo on my winter bike and i'm struggling to get the shifters set up correctly.
The shifters are SRAM HydroR with the machined clamp band, and i can't get them far enough around the bend to get them sitting right for me.

Has anyone else had any problems fitting them on compact bend bars and how did you solve it.
The clamps seem to sit really high on the bend which i guess is due to the space within the shifter due to the hydro reservoir.

My only thought so far is to set to work grinding and filing the inside of the clamp bands so they sit far enough round the bend, and the shifters are up high enough to be comfortable, I've got a spare pair of clamps on the way in case i mess up and weaken them too much.

Any other suggestions .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Are you saying that in the threaded section on the clamp is too short so you cannot loosen it enough to move the shifter far enough up the bend? Unless your bar is wildly and weirdly out of spec this should not be an issue.

Try this: detach the clamp from the shifter and see if it will slide to where you need it. If that works than you should have no problem. Tip: fold the rubber hoods back or remove them completely so they do not interfere as you are positioning the levers.

And whatever you do, do not grind down the clamps. :roll:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

motorapido

by motorapido

The problem is that the clamp on its own won't slide around the bend far enough it needs to be about 1-2mm further around the bend, and i can't work out what is fouling Whether the bar is widens and stops the clamp moving further or that the radius tightens.

The shifter clamp is much higher on the shifter body than the mechanical or Shimano lever assemblies which is why i'm having the problem. might see if i can fit a different clamp like a a Shimano one to sort it.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

What? Your bars are out of spec. Cheap Ebay carbon?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

deleted duplicate.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well, if the clamp won't go on its own I think you have a real problem with those bars. Makes me wonder what else might be wrong with them.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

motorapido

by motorapido

Well, yes they are carbon and fairly cheap, but Sram mechanical levers and Durace Di2 shifters fit fine because the clamp band sits much lower on the brake lever body. The problem is only with the Sram HydroR lever and its high clamp position.
Not entirely sure what you would define as making them out of spec, the diameter is pretty consistent its just at the last point of the radius where i guess it tightens i have a problem. Which annoyingly is the most comfortable lever position for me,

dremelling some material off the top face of the clamp band and shaping it slightly seems to make it fit better and move up to the right position for me.

Will try the same with the second one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com