Best chain lube for rainy weather

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

nickf wrote:
istigatrice wrote:NixFrixShun

This stuff for everything. Threw all my other lubes in the bin.

And it lasts forever! I have been using it for about three years now and I don't apply it using the recommended 12-12-12 method of 12 drops on 12 links and then turning the pedals 12 times. I completely clean my chains i in an ultrasonic cleaner with OMS and they are bone dry when I put them back on the bike. I apply a drop of NFS to each link and spin the chain for a good while before wiping it down ready to ride. And even with that, I get about 18 months out of a bottle of NFS, applying it to my chain every other week or so.

reknop

by reknop

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:00 am
Cerabike Wax Lube or Wet Lube is a great idea! Just mail them and try it out.
I followed the advice of wheelsONfire more than a year ago and ordered the Cerabike Wax Lube. It became my preferred chain lubrication product for my road bike, and it has beaten some of the well established brands like Squirt.

https://www.remo-knops.com/5513/cerabike-wax-lube/

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am
Smoove may be a bit better, but I have not gone on a truly wet ride. The difference between Smoove and Squirt is reapplication. Smoove never hardens enough to really have all of the external wax ablate off, so it gets a bit dirtier. It's recommended that you wipe the chain with degreaser or warm soapy water before reapplying...which is an okay trade-off if it lasts a few hundred miles in rainy conditions.
I was also fortunate to test Spoke Works Smoove Lube and indeed it is more sticky that will (only) be completely removed with a degreaser. So Smoove will survive normal bike cleaning and therefor I think it will also perform better in rainy- and or off-road conditions. If you thorough clean your bike every other week, than the reapplication advantage of Smoove won't be there anymore.

https://www.remo-knops.com/7337/spoke-w ... be-review/

I also tried to do a head-to-head comparison of Cerabike Wax Lube and Smoove Lube. But it is hard to get objective data to quantify the differences and real life testing.
Both are really good lubes, and it will be a matter of cleaning rhythm/frequency, price point and road/off-road use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Fenwicks Stealth road lube. I’ve found it holds on to the chain well and doesn’t get all that dirty.

by 11.4

Cerabike is ok but it's so damned expensive. I'm using Nixfrixshun and it works admirably in wet weather. The main thing about the wet is that you want to towel off the chain after every ride and apply a bit of lube to restore. You go through some expensive Cerabike that way. With either lube, I use a cheap microfiber towel form Home Depot and clean off the chain after every ride, wet or dry. If it's been wet, I do so a bit more thoroughly and let it dry and if it was really wet then I add another 9-12 drops of NFS. I've had no problem with this approach. Both lubes are very clean and keep the chain clean and keep the rest of the bike clean.

TonyM

by TonyM

The main problem I am facing is actually the grid & the sand that comes with the rain on the roads, especially in the winter.

stevod

by stevod

Getting on well with TF2 Plus Dry Lube with Teflon. Doesn't gunk up and the chain wipes clean easily.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://www.ridemechanic.com.au/index.p ... s/bike-mix

I'm a fan of this.

How often do you clean?
BdaGhisallo wrote:
nickf wrote:
istigatrice wrote:NixFrixShun
This stuff for everything. Threw all my other lubes in the bin.
And it lasts forever! I have been using it for about three years now and I don't apply it using the recommended 12-12-12 method of 12 drops on 12 links and then turning the pedals 12 times. I completely clean my chains i in an ultrasonic cleaner with OMS and they are bone dry when I put them back on the bike. I apply a drop of NFS to each link and spin the chain for a good while before wiping it down ready to ride. And even with that, I get about 18 months out of a bottle of NFS, applying it to my chain every other week or so.
Using Tapatalk

KLabs

by KLabs

istigatrice wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm
NixFrixShun
Where do you normally get this from

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

KLabs wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm
istigatrice wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm
NixFrixShun
Where do you normally get this from
http://www.nixfrixshun.com/

Josh Simonds will sort you out. A great guy to deal with.

If you want to read more on the background and development of the lube, check it out here: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f ... 29984.html

kode54

by kode54

NixFrixShun is a great lube. very quiet wet lube. I used it before switching to Molten Speed Wax which works in wet conditions.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am
How often do you clean?
I actually don't clean my chain, I just wipe off the excess NFS every time I apply (every 2-3 weeks, or about 800-1000km). They recommend that you wipe after every ride though.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)