BB86 frame with 30 mm spindle crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm looking to get a BB86 frame and have a Rotor 30mm crankset.
Seems like there is not many options ,but the Wheels Manufacturing Wmfg BB68 to 30 kit... :?
I read lots of complaining about BB creaking, short bearing life. This doesn't sound good to me...

Anybody using this combination ? Do you have better options ?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

just use rotor's own bearing, the outer diameter of the bearing has been reduced so you press the bearing directly into the frame.

morganb

by morganb

I would do the Wheels MFG over the Rotor, I love Rotor cranks but I've had terrible luck with their bearings and I know I'm not the only one. I have Wheels BBs on quite a few bikes and they are all silent and smooth.

stormur

by stormur

Never had any problems with any Rotor bearings. Ever.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

If you want the biggest possible bearing, THM makes a BB86 for 30mm spindles, where the outer race is the OD of the BB.
It also has a little collar on the bearing so you have to insert it to the correct depth in the shell.

Only issue is that you'd have to customize the spindle washers to result in the correct crank preload.

LouisN

by LouisN

I also found Hopetech has one. They're renowned to have good products :
http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-f ... m-bracket/

Louis :)

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

LouisN wrote:I'm looking to get a BB86 frame and have a Rotor 30mm crankset.
Seems like there is not many options ,but the Wheels Manufacturing Wmfg BB68 to 30 kit... :?
I read lots of complaining about BB creaking, short bearing life. This doesn't sound good to me...

Anybody using this combination ? Do you have better options ?

Thanks

I am on the same train.

TimW

by TimW

Hello. My experience is this, PF86 BB on a BMC Roadmachine 03. Decided to replace stock Shimano crank and put an FSA Powerbox on it, BB386 EVO.

Tried the rotor BB and the cranks were binding when spinning, no free movement. This was with no spacers or washers.

So got the WheelsMFG BB and exactly the same.

Finally I tried the FSA Bb86 to BB386 BB and everything works beautifully. Cranks turn freely and no creaking under power.

If you look at the difference, both the Rotor and WheelsMFG Bearings are flush with the outer. The FSA bearings are slightly inset. This allows the crank to tighten fully without binding.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TimW

by TimW

To clarify, when I say flush with the outer, I mean the bearing is flush with the outer of the bearing cup that you press into the frame.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've used the THM setup in two different frames with no issues. I'd recommend it! I'd even sell you one ;)

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

The Raceface/Easton Cinch BB86/92 bottom bracket should work. I use it in a Scott MTN frame with Raceface 30mm Next SL crank. No matter what brand yiu choose there's no getting around the fact that this BB standard restricts the outer diameter of the bearing so with 30mm cranks they use a small bearing that won't last as long as a BSA 30 bottom bracket. Eh, the Raceface is only like $30 and still feels like new after a half summer of use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

TimW wrote:Finally I tried the FSA Bb86 to BB386 BB and everything works beautifully. Cranks turn freely and no creaking under power.

I would mention that if the bottom bracket shell of the frame has any obstructions such as a molded in internal cable guide (KTM Revelator Sky) which work fine with a standard BB86, then the FSA BB386 bottom bracket might not work due to the larger diameter of the BB body.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"