Trek Domane SLR Rear mech cable help needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flint

by Flint

Hi everyone

I could do with a bit of help.

Basically I stripped the bike down and have managed to drop what I guess is the rear mech liner into the frame.

Does anybody how to get it out?

Thanks

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Do you mean the actual steel derailleur cable? If so, a magnet will help get it out. One of the internal cable routing kits like Park has is ideal for this.
If it’s the Teflon liner then that will just require some shaking and movin till you can grab an end from the hole in the BB area. If your crank is installed you’ll likely have to remove it unless you get super lucky with your first couple of shakes. Some picks, awls or even tweezers might help in the process.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flint

by Flint

Thanks Calnago

It’s the liner not the cable. I’ve taken the chainset off but do I need to remove the BB also?

Cheers

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you can't reach it from the exit, you'll have to pull the BB and the inner part of the BB, which isn't hard to do. I would strip the frame down and just try shaking the frame, and see if you can get it to come out. I ended up pulling the liner from my wife's Domane, TBH.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, the “BB” is really just a couple of bearings right? So leave them alone although it’s not a big deal if you have to remove them as well. But I think if you just remove the BB guide (if it’s a model that has one) then you should be able to get better access. You can even try a vacuum cleaner with suction to try to coerce it out the hole by the dropout. I’m trying to recall just how big the hole is in the chainstay at the BB area. But you’ll see it once the cable guide is removed. If it’s smaller than the hole at the end of the chainstay by your derailleur then it would probably be best to try that end. As a last resort you can use a piece of derailleur cable, coat about an inch of the end with some really sticky substance, then insert it and try to attach it to the liner end. Maybe you can at least get the end close enough to the hole that you can get it out. Never a fun experience so I can empathize with you. What you’re hoping to finish in a couple minutes takes an hour, or more, as you learn what not to do next time. Lol. Good luck. You’ll get it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flint

by Flint

I know that feeling well Calnago. Put the bike back together in 30 minutes and then spent two dealing with this.

The good news is it’s all sorted now. I took the fork off and it dropped straight out.

Thanks for the advice.