Bianchi XR4, XR3 differences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Are the differences merely in carbon layup quality? similar to what the difference between an Cannondale Evo and a high Mod?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

XR3 and XR4 frames have different tube shapes. XR4 has a sexy fork.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Biggest difference, other than visual aspects is that the XR4 uses countervail. But, I mean.. did you try googling this first? You can probably get most of your questions answered that way.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

silvalis

by silvalis

jimaizumi wrote:Biggest difference, other than visual aspects is that the XR4 uses countervail. But, I mean.. did you try googling this first? You can probably get most of your questions answered that way.

The XR3 is a countervail bike too.
Did you try googling? :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry)
Chasse patate

Boshk

by Boshk

r_mutt wrote:Are the differences merely in carbon layup quality? similar to what the difference between an Cannondale Evo and a high Mod?

I have a XR3, it has countervail too. The front derailleur uses a band-on 34.9mm, not braze-on.
XR4 is insignificantly more expensive....at least where I am.
XR4 has the aero fork, 3 is just a normal carbon fork.

Seatpost I believe is the same.
Carbon material difference
Top tube is slightly different along with the headset area, that Vision 5d bar goes well on it.

I know its personally taste, but for the money of a XR4, maybe consider adding F10, C60s, Factor to your bike list.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

silvalis wrote:
jimaizumi wrote:Biggest difference, other than visual aspects is that the XR4 uses countervail. But, I mean.. did you try googling this first? You can probably get most of your questions answered that way.

The XR3 is a countervail bike too.
Did you try googling? :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry)

oh whoops 8)

Boshk wrote:
I have a XR3, it has countervail too. The front derailleur uses a band-on 34.9mm, not braze-on.
XR4 is insignificantly more expensive....at least where I am.
XR4 has the aero fork, 3 is just a normal carbon fork.

Seatpost I believe is the same.
Carbon material difference
Top tube is slightly different along with the headset area, that Vision 5d bar goes well on it.

I know its personally taste, but for the money of a XR4, maybe consider adding F10, C60s, Factor to your bike list.

yes, it's true that the XR4 is similar money to the C60- that's an easy choice- the C60 wins. I found an XR3 at a decent price so I was wondering if there was that much of a difference.

thanks gents

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Hahaha, I guess I need to work on my googling skills!

While I've never ridden an XR4, I own a C60.. I've heard nothing but good things about the XR4 so I'd be very keen to try one out.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hannawald

by hannawald

easy choice? i would easily take xr4 over c60 every time..

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

hannawald wrote:easy choice? i would easily take xr4 over c60 every time..

Thats what I just did :D
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

silvalis

by silvalis

The front integration of the xr4 does look a lot better than the xr3. But down here, I could get a chorus xr3 for the same price as an xr4 frame.
Chasse patate

r_mutt

by r_mutt

it's hard to justify the extra dosh needed for the XR4- although that fork on the XR4 "looks" nicer.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

hannawald wrote:easy choice? i would easily take xr4 over c60 every time..

well, it's depends on what you are looking for. I feel like a C60 is a classic bike- something you might want to hold onto for years while the Bianchi XR4 is more of a pure racebike- almost more of a tool and you might be inclined to want to sell it and "upgrade" to something more modern after a few years.

JOrange

by JOrange

Shrike wrote:XR4 has a sexy fork.

:lol: +1

r_mutt

by r_mutt

It's forking sexy!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

The XR4, aside from using different tube shapes that are allegedly more aero uses a different carbon layup and different kinds of carbon fibre. The XR4 is harder to make and uses more expensive carbon fibre which is part of the reason why it costs more than the XR3 (aside from 'flagship frame tax' which would explain most of the markup). Both frames, as stated, incorporate CV into the layup.

I have limited experience riding the XR3, but basically the XR4 is a lot stiffer/more responsive. The XR4 is therefore a little more exciting to ride and has the 'specialness' to its ride quality (which is no doubt influenced by an awareness of its status within Bianchi's lineup). I was underwhelmed by the XR3, but the XR4 is pretty awesome. Both bikes are really comfortable. Currently I'm also riding my 12' SS Evo + Izalco Max and the XR4 is just on another level entirely when it comes to dulling out road chatter (the Dale is comfy by most peoples standards, the Max is, in comparison brutally harsh). In practice the the alleged aerodynamics wont count for anything. So there's three reasons to get the XR4 over an XR3: Prestige, excitement and DM braking.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com