Debonded water bottle cage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The lower water bottle cage bolt has become free spinning in the frame on my bike. From talking to a few other mechs in my area it seems to be a common issue in frames from this year so I'm assuming the upper one can't be far behind. I'm planning to drill them out and install new ones but I was wondering how best to do it with minimal damage to the carbon, i.e. I'm assuming some kind of epoxy bond would be better than riveting, and how to insulate from galvanic corrosion which is causing this issue in the first place. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You don't have to drill them out. If you were able to remove the bottle cage, you can tighten them back up. There are instructions online, which show you how to tighten them up.

https://www.artscyclery.com/learningcen ... osses.html

I did have to have the rivnuts on my CX bike re-done, but I didn't have to have them drilled out (I took them to a shop to do). I think the total cost was $50 for the front, and they went ahead and tightened up the rear bosses while they were at it, at no cost.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I had that issue in a frame. My LBS was able to tighten it in about 2 min.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

FIJIGabe wrote:You don't have to drill them out. If you were able to remove the bottle cage, you can tighten them back up. There are instructions online, which show you how to tighten them up.

https://www.artscyclery.com/learningcen ... osses.html

I did have to have the rivnuts on my CX bike re-done, but I didn't have to have them drilled out (I took them to a shop to do). I think the total cost was $50 for the front, and they went ahead and tightened up the rear bosses while they were at it, at no cost.
The bolt is also seized inside the boss, I wasn't running a cage for a while :/

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk