Anyone running Panaracer Gravel Kings tubeless?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

The 28mm/32mm specifically? I remember reading before that they were designated at tubeless up to 60psi, but this seems to have disappeared. Unsafe to run tubeless?

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

morganb wrote:The 28mm/32mm specifically? I remember reading before that they were designated at tubeless up to 60psi, but this seems to have disappeared. Unsafe to run tubeless?

From what I understand, that only applies to 32 and up. I don't think the 28s have the correct bead and I woudn't trust them. Most beads are rated to a pressure given on the sidewall and my Gravelkings are the only tires to have ever blown off, just from inflation, at a pressure below that rating. So, I wouldn't trust them tubeless. Don't let that discourage you from them though. I do love those tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
morganb wrote:The 28mm/32mm specifically? I remember reading before that they were designated at tubeless up to 60psi, but this seems to have disappeared. Unsafe to run tubeless?

From what I understand, that only applies to 32 and up. I don't think the 28s have the correct bead and I woudn't trust them. Most beads are rated to a pressure given on the sidewall and my Gravelkings are the only tires to have ever blown off, just from inflation, at a pressure below that rating. So, I wouldn't trust them tubeless. Don't let that discourage you from them though. I do love those tires.

Okay thank you, do they have pretty good puncture resistance? I am thinking of making my Gunnar Roadie a sort of gravel-lite bike since I sometimes find myself on rides where I am mostly on the road, but jumping onto some dirt/gravel paths and well roads.

peted76

by peted76

Timely.. I sent a mail to Panaracer direct last week asking if they had plans for a 32mm gravelking in tubeless..
Their response was: "Yes, they are already in production and will be in shops early 2018. You can use the current 32c in a tubeless set up with a PSI of 55 or lower"
I then asked what the differences would be/are..
Their response was: "Mostly the bead. It’s a different make to hold pressure better in a tubeless set up."

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

morganb wrote:Okay thank you, do they have pretty good puncture resistance? I am thinking of making my Gunnar Roadie a sort of gravel-lite bike since I sometimes find myself on rides where I am mostly on the road, but jumping onto some dirt/gravel paths and well roads.

Mine always seemed to, but I've never had a huge issue with punctures. I have had them on plenty of gravel, however.

peted76 wrote:Timely.. I sent a mail to Panaracer direct last week asking if they had plans for a 32mm gravelking in tubeless..
Their response was: "Yes, they are already in production and will be in shops early 2018. You can use the current 32c in a tubeless set up with a PSI of 55 or lower"
Their response was: "Mostly the bead. It’s a different make to hold pressure better in a tubeless set up."

My hopes is that includes a 28c tubeless also. That tire with the right bead (ala tubeless) is the sweet spot for an off-season tire.

morganb

by morganb

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
morganb wrote:Okay thank you, do they have pretty good puncture resistance? I am thinking of making my Gunnar Roadie a sort of gravel-lite bike since I sometimes find myself on rides where I am mostly on the road, but jumping onto some dirt/gravel paths and well roads.

Mine always seemed to, but I've never had a huge issue with punctures. I have had them on plenty of gravel, however.

peted76 wrote:Timely.. I sent a mail to Panaracer direct last week asking if they had plans for a 32mm gravelking in tubeless..

My hopes is that includes a 28c tubeless also. That tire with the right bead (ala tubeless) is the sweet spot for an off-season tire.

Me too, that would be the perfect tire for my winter bike and the Gunnar. I have tubeless Pro Ones on my fast bikes and have ridden that tire on gravel but worry about a tire that light on some of the stuff that we get into.

kfink117

by kfink117

I currently run the 32mm tubeless at ~40 psi, and haven't had any issues. I'll echo an above poster, I haven't had any punctures, and that includes a fair number of rides on light (dry) singletrack.

morganb

by morganb

kfink117 wrote:I currently run the 32mm tubeless at ~40 psi, and haven't had any issues. I'll echo an above poster, I haven't had any punctures, and that includes a fair number of rides on light (dry) singletrack.

Do you happen to have a real world measurement of that tire? My current tires measure 31mm and I have decent clearance but I can't go much bigger.

kfink117

by kfink117

morganb wrote:
kfink117 wrote:I currently run the 32mm tubeless at ~40 psi, and haven't had any issues. I'll echo an above poster, I haven't had any punctures, and that includes a fair number of rides on light (dry) singletrack.

Do you happen to have a real world measurement of that tire? My current tires measure 31mm and I have decent clearance but I can't go much bigger.

Unfortunately not, I don't have easy access to a caliper right now. Eyeballing it, they certainly don't run extra narrow. I'm running them on a cx bike with easy 40mm clearance, so not a good point of reference.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

morganb wrote:

GravelKing 32mm measure ~30.5mm on modern rim (e.g. 19mm inner).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

morganb

by morganb

Thanks, I should have clearance then. The rims I am running are 21mm internal. Worst case scenario I can throw them on my cross bike for rail trail riding if they don't fit, or build another wheel set with 19mm rims and my CX bike can inherit my Quills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com