Quarq DZero PM question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm looking at the Quarq Zero PM. plan to use it with my RED crank arms + rotor QXL (52/36t) to reduce weight.
question is.. i see it's listed with "hidden bolt" or non-hidden bolt. what does that mean? i need to get the gxp version.

currently using stages PM.. but even with the new version, battery seem to drain out after a week. it's getting really annoying. probably using the stages is the lightest weight (or not).. so i'm looking for new solution.

thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Hidden bolt is same as the red crankset where there are only 4 arms visible on the spider
Non hidden bolt means you can get at all the of the 5 bolts
Don't get hidden bolt - having the bolts torqued evenly is important for spider powermeters so it's really frustrating when the blind bolt behind the crankarm is slipping and you can't do anything about it.

Also, you will need to make sure you have the 8 bolt removable spider to work with Dzero

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hidden-bolt means the 5th bolt goes through the chainrings directly into the crankarm. On the normal Red crankset it saves weight and increases stiffness. On the DZero it just means the spider is oriented at a different angle. Non-hidden bolt allows for increased compatibility with third-party chainrings, though my Q-Rings worked fine with a normal SRAM Red hidden-bolt crankset.

Also is your Red crankset a "Prime" version?
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I have a Dzero with hidden bolt, and as the others have noted, it seems to be a designed primarily for compatibility with other chainrings. Super great PM, but installing and maintaining the 'hidden bolt' is somewhat of a challenge. The Quarq install manuals/videos don't help much and actually overcomplicate the process with their instruction use a vice (really?!?!) for setting the hidden bolt's threaded insert.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm using Non-hidden bolt Quarq Dzero with Rotor Q ring,
on 110bcd version, you can't mount the ring on as it is since "Q logo" battery door is bigger than 110bcd bolt so it intefere with Rotor's Q ring (big ring's) multiple mounting bolt holes. You first need to determine which position you want to use and then machine out mounting holes that you don't use near the "Q logo" battery cap position.

That works but if i really plan to use Q rings from the beginning, i'd stick with Power2Max (NG eco), may be with FSA K-force light arms. Their long 30mm spindle seems to fit on every frame (that is not Trek with BB90) with the right adapter (including bb86 !)

kookie

by kookie

addictR1 wrote:currently using stages PM.. but even with the new version, battery seem to drain out after a week. it's getting really annoying. probably using the stages is the lightest weight (or not).. so i'm looking for new solution.

thanks.

I have the DZero on my SRAM Red crankset. My battery also drained after a week (went through 3 batteries). I sent my PM to the dealer who then sent to Quarq to figure out the problem. I sent it to them Labour Day and still waiting....They also wanted my Red DS crank arm????

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kookie wrote:
addictR1 wrote:currently using stages PM.. but even with the new version, battery seem to drain out after a week. it's getting really annoying. probably using the stages is the lightest weight (or not).. so i'm looking for new solution.

thanks.

I have the DZero on my SRAM Red crankset. My battery also drained after a week (went through 3 batteries). I sent my PM to the dealer who then sent to Quarq to figure out the problem. I sent it to them Labour Day and still waiting....They also wanted my Red DS crank arm????

So you get the special bb386 or gxp Sram Red Quarq with removable spider bundle? if so, yes, they want the full set back. It's 8 bolts interface unlike older Sram Force, S900 etc. 's 3 bolts interface so if you only send them back the quarq spider you normally wouldn't have a normal dumb spider to use anyway so it's better send out as the whole unit as it sold.

Forgot to mention, Before i move to Quarq i use Stages carbon left arm. Just a couple months old and i notice battery drain after rain or bike wash. then soon after it just dead after another rain ride. I sent back the unit and i got a new one back 1.5 months later. I'm going to sell the warrantied Stages since i decide to buy and use Quarq instead.

kookie

by kookie

Hexsense wrote:So you get the special bb386 or gxp Sram Red Quarq with removable spider bundle? if so, yes, they want the full set back. It's 8 bolts interface unlike older Sram Force, S900 etc. 's 3 bolts interface so if you only send them back the quarq spider you normally wouldn't have a normal dumb spider to use anyway so it's better send out as the whole unit as it sold.

Forgot to mention, Before i move to Quarq i use Stages carbon left arm. Just a couple months old and i notice battery drain after rain or bike wash. then soon after it just dead after another rain ride. I sent back the unit and i got a new one back 1.5 months later. I'm going to sell the warrantied Stages since i decide to buy and use Quarq instead.

I have a Cervelo S5 Red which came eTap. I bought the DZero spider afterwards.

My battery drained without even riding it. Installed it on a Monday...drained sometime during the week before my Saturday ride.

Quarq and dealer were both able to reproduce the problem.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kookie wrote:
Hexsense wrote:So you get the special bb386 or gxp Sram Red Quarq with removable spider bundle? if so, yes, they want the full set back. It's 8 bolts interface unlike older Sram Force, S900 etc. 's 3 bolts interface so if you only send them back the quarq spider you normally wouldn't have a normal dumb spider to use anyway so it's better send out as the whole unit as it sold.

I have a Cervelo S5 Red which came eTap. I bought the DZero spider afterwards.

My battery drained without even riding it. Installed it on a Monday...drained sometime during the week before my Saturday ride.

Quarq and dealer were both able to reproduce the problem.

Oh, okay that's special.
You've got Red Quarq Power meter ready as OEM crank.

I had (it's had, but probably not anymore) a problem with my Quarq. Apperantly sometime the auto adjust seems to work wonky and read out very low output despite my effort (surely >150 watts but it shows 46-58 watts). Couldn't figured out for a while except it's common in certain temperature so i disable auto calibration and i do manual calibration before each ride instead. Finally It seem to be solved by Firmware update (Firmware number 5, released on November 9th) which said they fix cadence bug on some Quarq. I re enable auto calibration and it seem fine. Maybe i got the cadence bug and it affact my power reading? who knows.

addictR1

by addictR1

oh wow.. sounds complicated. especially with my QXL rings.. probably won't work since i'm running position 3. :(

Hexsense

by Hexsense

addictR1 wrote:oh wow.. sounds complicated. especially with my QXL rings.. probably won't work since i'm running position 3. :(

Rotor have Q ring OCP3 version. That'll fit.
It's only position 1,2,4,5 that doesn't have dedicated ring and need to be made from variable ring and drill to make it fit.

But just get Power2max NG eco with FSA K-force Light bb386 which is only about 20g heavier (and might weight less with the right BB adapter) is a good way to prevent head-ache.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AFAIK Quarq's do not accurately measure power when used with non-round chainrings. There is a firmware being developed, but we've seen no timeframe for a release. It probably requires a higher polling rate for measuring cadence/angular velocity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com