N+1 Next to a Madone 9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SeanD380

by SeanD380

Currently have a Madone 9. Looking for a disc braked bike to go alongside it.

Currently thinking :-

1) Aeroad DIsc
2) Propel Disc
3) Domane Disc
4) Bmc Road Machine.

I know 1 and 2 are similar to the Madone.

I get put off number 3 due to the fact the amount they charge, the front brake hose is exposed, using cable ties.

TonyM

by TonyM

5) Cento10 Air disc
6) Foil disc
7) F10 disk
8 ) SuperSix Evo HiMod disc
9) Tarmac disc

But how do you define "a disc braked bike to go alongside it"?
Last edited by TonyM on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

When would you want something besides the Madone?
1. A descent that makes you concerned with how much heat you're putting into the carbon rims.
2. A rough pavement or dirt road where you'de prefer 30+mm tires.
3. A climb where you wish for a lighter bike. (This would dictate building a non-aero ultralight rim brake bike, not a disc bike.)
4. I can't think of anything else. The Madone seems like a great all around bike.

So to satisfy 1 & 2 I'd say to get something in the Specialized Diverge genre. If #2 never happens to you and your only reason for another bike is better braking than I guess any disc race bike would suit. I'd choose the Scott Foil Disc.

SeanD380

by SeanD380

Lelandjt wrote:When would you want something besides the Madone?
1. A descent that makes you concerned with how much heat you're putting into the carbon rims.
2. A rough pavement or dirt road where you'de prefer 30+mm tires.
3. A climb where you wish for a lighter bike. (This would dictate building a non-aero ultralight rim brake bike, not a disc bike.)
4. I can't think of anything else. The Madone seems like a great all around bike.

So to satisfy 1 & 2 I'd say to get something in the Specialized Diverge genre. If #2 never happens to you and your only reason for another bike is better braking than I guess any disc race bike would suit. I'd choose the Scott Foil Disc.

Thanks

Yes descending and damp roads are one scenario. Something thats easy to pack up and travel overseas with would also be good.

Don't mind if the second bike is to Similar to the Madone, one reason I like the Giant is you can stick on Aerobars for the odd time trial I do.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would go for BMC.
Why, it handles wider tires than the rest of those listed.
Always a good idea when it is slippery and/ or when it's frost or even ice.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

billendk

by billendk

I was in the same situation as you, also having a madone 9. Ended up with a roadmachine 01 three for winter and rainy days. Never regret the choice. It ride really well and love that it could handle 28mm tires.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’ve been thinking about getting a Domane SLR Disc. The downside, as you say, is that it’s expensive, especially if you want to try to keep the weight down, which can only go so far on this platform because the iso speed decoupler system clashes with weight-weenie ideals. But otherwise it seems to me that this bike is a great choice for an all rounder. It nails it for someone whose objective is a comfortable roadie that will encourage long days on the saddle.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

For a N+1 winter bike I would consider saving a bit of cash with a Caad 12 disc myself.

SeanD380

by SeanD380

Hapsmo911 wrote:For a N+1 winter bike I would consider saving a bit of cash with a Caad 12 disc myself.

I live in Sydney, don;t really have winter here :-)

Other option I considered is N+2, Speed Concept for Time Trials and then a Gravel bike like a Diverge on top.

Not sure I can get that past the wife though.

TonyM

by TonyM

SilentDrone wrote:I’ve been thinking about getting a Domane SLR Disc. The downside, as you say, is that it’s expensive, especially if you want to try to keep the weight down, which can only go so far on this platform because the iso speed decoupler system clashes with weight-weenie ideals. But otherwise it seems to me that this bike is a great choice for an all rounder. It nails it for someone whose objective is a comfortable roadie that will encourage long days on the saddle.

Wilier Cento10 NDR disc is another option.
Good looking and less mainstream than Spez/ Trek/ Giant.

ichobi

by ichobi

Why not a disc metal bike? You could go custom livery as well. Good for any routes and distinct enough from your race machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Other than the super nasty graphics, the new Propel looks impressive, on paper, at least.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jfranci3

by jfranci3

If you want a bike to take oversees, if the place is unknown, wide tires will be better. If you get a Domane, the frame will be less long, easier to pack, and take the wider tires. You can pack slick 30c and threaded 35c tires.

TonyM

by TonyM

Noctiluxx wrote:Other than the super nasty graphics, the new Propel looks impressive, on paper, at least.

and the very ugly integrated (angular) stem! :? :?

A very good looking integrated stem is the one on the BMC SLR01 disc
Last edited by TonyM on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

jfranci3 wrote:If you want a bike to take oversees, if the place is unknown, wide tires will be better. If you get a Domane, the frame will be less long, easier to pack, and take the wider tires. You can pack slick 30c and threaded 35c tires.

As I was looking for a disc brake bike someone here in the forum told me that I should be careful about some disc brake bikes as they may be difficult to get in the bike luggage due to the hydraulic hoses if fully integrated etc especially if you have to take off the handlebar.....Something to think about...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com