N+1 Next to a Madone 9

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
SeanD380
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 am

by SeanD380

Currently have a Madone 9. Looking for a disc braked bike to go alongside it.

Currently thinking :-

1) Aeroad DIsc
2) Propel Disc
3) Domane Disc
4) Bmc Road Machine.


I know 1 and 2 are similar to the Madone.

I get put off number 3 due to the fact the amount they charge, the front brake hose is exposed, using cable ties.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

5) Cento10 Air disc
6) Foil disc
7) F10 disk
8 ) SuperSix Evo HiMod disc
9) Tarmac disc
...



But how do you define "a disc braked bike to go alongside it"?
Last edited by TonyM on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lelandjt
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am

by Lelandjt

When would you want something besides the Madone?
1. A descent that makes you concerned with how much heat you're putting into the carbon rims.
2. A rough pavement or dirt road where you'de prefer 30+mm tires.
3. A climb where you wish for a lighter bike. (This would dictate building a non-aero ultralight rim brake bike, not a disc bike.)
4. I can't think of anything else. The Madone seems like a great all around bike.

So to satisfy 1 & 2 I'd say to get something in the Specialized Diverge genre. If #2 never happens to you and your only reason for another bike is better braking than I guess any disc race bike would suit. I'd choose the Scott Foil Disc.

SeanD380
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 am

by SeanD380

Lelandjt wrote:When would you want something besides the Madone?
1. A descent that makes you concerned with how much heat you're putting into the carbon rims.
2. A rough pavement or dirt road where you'de prefer 30+mm tires.
3. A climb where you wish for a lighter bike. (This would dictate building a non-aero ultralight rim brake bike, not a disc bike.)
4. I can't think of anything else. The Madone seems like a great all around bike.

So to satisfy 1 & 2 I'd say to get something in the Specialized Diverge genre. If #2 never happens to you and your only reason for another bike is better braking than I guess any disc race bike would suit. I'd choose the Scott Foil Disc.


Thanks

Yes descending and damp roads are one scenario. Something thats easy to pack up and travel overseas with would also be good.

Don't mind if the second bike is to Similar to the Madone, one reason I like the Giant is you can stick on Aerobars for the odd time trial I do.

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

I would go for BMC.
Why, it handles wider tires than the rest of those listed.
Always a good idea when it is slippery and/ or when it's frost or even ice.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

billendk
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:13 am

by billendk

I was in the same situation as you, also having a madone 9. Ended up with a roadmachine 01 three for winter and rainy days. Never regret the choice. It ride really well and love that it could handle 28mm tires.

SilentDrone
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:55 pm

by SilentDrone

I’ve been thinking about getting a Domane SLR Disc. The downside, as you say, is that it’s expensive, especially if you want to try to keep the weight down, which can only go so far on this platform because the iso speed decoupler system clashes with weight-weenie ideals. But otherwise it seems to me that this bike is a great choice for an all rounder. It nails it for someone whose objective is a comfortable roadie that will encourage long days on the saddle.

Hapsmo911
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 am

by Hapsmo911

For a N+1 winter bike I would consider saving a bit of cash with a Caad 12 disc myself.

SeanD380
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 am

by SeanD380

Hapsmo911 wrote:For a N+1 winter bike I would consider saving a bit of cash with a Caad 12 disc myself.


I live in Sydney, don;t really have winter here :-)

Other option I considered is N+2, Speed Concept for Time Trials and then a Gravel bike like a Diverge on top.

Not sure I can get that past the wife though.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

SilentDrone wrote:I’ve been thinking about getting a Domane SLR Disc. The downside, as you say, is that it’s expensive, especially if you want to try to keep the weight down, which can only go so far on this platform because the iso speed decoupler system clashes with weight-weenie ideals. But otherwise it seems to me that this bike is a great choice for an all rounder. It nails it for someone whose objective is a comfortable roadie that will encourage long days on the saddle.


Wilier Cento10 NDR disc is another option.
Good looking and less mainstream than Spez/ Trek/ Giant.

ichobi
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

Why not a disc metal bike? You could go custom livery as well. Good for any routes and distinct enough from your race machines.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noctiluxx
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

Other than the super nasty graphics, the new Propel looks impressive, on paper, at least.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red)
2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold)
2016 Giant Anthem Advanced SX (FS)
2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8 Fatty (FS)

jfranci3
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

If you want a bike to take oversees, if the place is unknown, wide tires will be better. If you get a Domane, the frame will be less long, easier to pack, and take the wider tires. You can pack slick 30c and threaded 35c tires.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Noctiluxx wrote:Other than the super nasty graphics, the new Propel looks impressive, on paper, at least.



and the very ugly integrated (angular) stem! :? :?


Image

A very good looking integrated stem is the one on the BMC SLR01 disc
Last edited by TonyM on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

jfranci3 wrote:If you want a bike to take oversees, if the place is unknown, wide tires will be better. If you get a Domane, the frame will be less long, easier to pack, and take the wider tires. You can pack slick 30c and threaded 35c tires.



As I was looking for a disc brake bike someone here in the forum told me that I should be careful about some disc brake bikes as they may be difficult to get in the bike luggage due to the hydraulic hoses if fully integrated etc especially if you have to take off the handlebar.....Something to think about...

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post