Ritchey Road Logic as second bike..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, im thinking long time to build a new bike, and must admit that i was thinking long time between Ritchey Road Logic, Colnago Master or some chinese Carbon (like FM-008 for example).. I give up on Colnago Master, since is twice more money, and is heavier and more complicated to buy it... So now going in Road Logic way...

Main reason why steel, this will be my winter bike, trainer bike, bike that ill take with me when i dont want to care about transporting and potential scratch of my Colnago (in situations like that), etc... Also this bike will be riden by my gf..So need bike that i'll still love it, but not have to care too much...This bike should be replacament for my Pinarello FP3..

So help me to clear up my decision if this is ok or not... Unfortunately there is no chance to test ride it, so have to do it this way..

First sizing:

Im 175cm, 82.5 cm inseam, and Colnago C60 match me perfectly with 110mm -7 deg stem, big headset cup (which is like 15mm height), and 12 mm spacers under the stem. Pinarello FP3 also suit me perfectly also stem 110mm, -6 deg, 12 mm spacers under the stem, and also 15mm headset cup

So based on stack and reach, i guess i need to go for Road Logic size 53, and with 10mm shorter stem (100mm).

So what do u think? Am i right that i need 53 cm (stack on C60 50S is 547, on Road Logic 53 549mm, so i guess based on stack thats the size. But reach on C60 is 383, on road logic 391mm on Blue version, and 388mm on gray version)

How do u think will handle since probably i'll need shorter stem (100mm)? To expect not so balanced handling since short stem? And also in situations when my gf will ride it, and based on 90mm stem for Pinarello FP3, here she will need 80mm stem. She ride more sportive, lets say 100 km ride, but not fast pacing, more enjoying.. So do u think the handling will be safe enough for her with that short stem? (On Fp3 Pinarello with 90mm stem, was ok for her riding)

Where is my other dilema.. I understund that steel frame will be a bit more flexier then my C60 or even FP3 Pinarello, but still want to be able to ride this bike in the way i like.. Hard sprinting, pushing hard, and also i like to climb a lot.

My FTP at the moment based on Trainerroad and Kinetic InRide is 275 Watts, im 72 kg, and planing to raise my FTP in next few months, and lower my weight by 3-4 kg. So do u think this frame will be noodle for my riding?

I know that claimed weight on Road Logic is 1770 gm, which is about 600-700 gm more then C60 (but dont know if this weight is with headset inclued or not), and since C60 is 6880 gm with Bora One 35, and 7020gm with my Shamals, i guess in term of weight i can handle the new bike beeing like 600-700 gm then this. Of course if the clamed weight is not too much different then actual one... So u think there will be noticable weight difference for climbing?

Geometry dilemma and what to expect because of that in term of handling...

There is two versions of this frame Gray One (old model), and Blue One (New model)

The main difference between those is beafier fork on new model (found few reviews that Gray version front end is flexing more then average, i guess one of the reason for new fork), and also bigger tire clearance (im planing to ride 23, 25mm tires so this is not that important, but is good to have option for some future...)

Also those two versions are with different geometry..

When i compare chainstay length to my C60 bike, on C60 is 405mm, on Gray version is 410mm, on Blue one 415mm. I know that shorter chainstay, meen better power transfer good for climbing, sprinting etc... Oposite, longer chainstay, more comfort, but flexier, and not that good for power transfer. So should i expect big difference to my C60 because of this?

Also wheelbase on Road Logic is much longer then C60. On Blue version in my size is 993mm, on gray one is 984mm.

Also i know the longer wheelbase more stability, more comfort but not that good for more hard pushing...Same question..
Should i expect big difference because of this vs C60 geometry?

Also gray version is not compatible with Campagnolo 53/39 (probably i'll built it with Campagnolo 52/36, but also good option to have all options), on Blue one that is fixed..And i allready mentioned, gray version have shorter reach by 3mm then blue version..

Also gray version is a bit cheaper, but ill get the one better suited for my riding style, not because of price..

So, what do u think? Am i looking in right direction or wasting my time? I know it wont be that good as racing machine as C60, but still i would like to be stiff and reactiv enough for some climbing/sprinting.. As i mentioned, This bike should be replacament for my Pinarello FP3, so maybe comparation should be done vs FP3. And if i go Road Logic, what is better version to go (stiffer, better for sprinting, climbing...) Gray one or Blue?

And probably will order this few weeks, if i find out that im thinking the right way..Also, i like the look of the bike :)

The other alternative is Chinese Carbon frame, but i'll do it only if i have to, and still be hassle about carbon negative sides in term of beeing a bit fragile in some situations..

morganb

by morganb

I wouldn't worry about stiffness, most modern steel bikes are hardly noodles, especially in smaller sizes. My Gunnar is plenty stiff for sprinting and its a 1500g frame including hanger and I'm around the same size and weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Digger90

by Digger90

I had a Ritchey Road Logic last year as my winter bike - I absolutely LOVED the quality of the ride (after 10+ years on carbon bikes - mostly Colnago CLX's and C59's).

However.... the Road Logic has a very short Head Tube and even with a big stack of spacers underneath it was killing my back.. so sadly I had to sell it.

Looks like you ride 1 size smaller than me... for reference, I ride 52S Colnago's, typically with 15mm spacers under a 100m stem.
- I am 179cms tall
- I run 74.25cms from BB centre to very top side of saddle
- My bikes are all 55cms effective TT
- I use a 100mm stem.

Really sad the Ritchey didn't work for me, because I loved just how different getting back on steel was after years on carbon and the Road Logic is a brilliant bike. Wish they made one with a 160mm HT.

Oh - and no way it will be a noodle. It rides great and is plenty stiff enough.

3Pio

by 3Pio

morganb wrote:I wouldn't worry about stiffness, most modern steel bikes are hardly noodles, especially in smaller sizes. My Gunnar is plenty stiff for sprinting and its a 1500g frame including hanger and I'm around the same size and weight.

Another thing beside material is geometry that worry me in term of stifness and riding of the Road Logic. The thing about very long chainstay, and wheelbase specially (on new blue model longer both then gray).

Dont want to get the ride as some truck :) or sluggish thing..

Digger90 wrote:I had a Ritchey Road Logic last year as my winter bike - I absolutely LOVED the quality of the ride (after 10+ years on carbon bikes - mostly Colnago CLX's and C59's).

However.... the Road Logic has a very short Head Tube and even with a big stack of spacers underneath it was killing my back.. so sadly I had to sell it.

Looks like you ride 1 size smaller than me... for reference, I ride 52S Colnago's, typically with 15mm spacers under a 100m stem.
- I am 179cms tall
- I run 74.25cms from BB centre to very top side of saddle
- My bikes are all 55cms effective TT
- I use a 100mm stem.

Really sad the Ritchey didn't work for me, because I loved just how different getting back on steel was after years on carbon and the Road Logic is a brilliant bike. Wish they made one with a 160mm HT.

Oh - and no way it will be a noodle. It rides great and is plenty stiff enough.

If i compare C60 in 50S size headtube which is 145mm and Road Logic in 53 is 140mm which is not big difference. I guess ill have 5 mm more spacers on Ritchey, which is ok.

I guess ur Road Logic was 53 size? In 55 size headtube length is: 160mm, so i guess if u went that size it will be ok comparing to ur Colnago.

Can u please tell me more about Ritchey way of riding? Sprinting efforts? Climbing? Is it reactiv? How was handling? Sport car handling or more sluggish? If u can compare it with ur C59 i'll be very thankfull.. And i guess u had 53 cm Road Logic?

Marin

by Marin

I'm 77 kg, 330 W FTP and l like to push hard. My Logic was perfect for that, and the handling was razor sharp.

7.2 kg as shown

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:I'm 77 kg, 330 W FTP and l like to push hard. My Logic was perfect for that, and the handling was razor sharp.

https://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/v3/20/2070/2070807-1p58mhsupxta-img_20160330_185432_01-large.jpg

7.2 kg as shown

Very nice looking bike.. Is this 53 cm? And please ur height, inseam and stem size?

And if u build it ur self.. Did u need to face BB shells? And any specific tool for fork instalation and headset crown race?

Marin

by Marin

55/56cm. 186, 91, 110

No facing/reaming necessary (does anyone really do that?)

Headset is drop-in.

flying

by flying

Marin wrote:I'm 77 kg, 330 W FTP and l like to push hard. My Logic was perfect for that, and the handling was razor sharp.

https://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/v3/20/2070/2070807-1p58mhsupxta-img_20160330_185432_01-large.jpg

7.2 kg as shown

Beautiful :beerchug:

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:55/56cm. 186, 91, 110

No facing/reaming necessary (does anyone really do that?)

Headset is drop-in.

I read on USA forums that some of them faced the bb shells.

About headset/fork? Can u please tell me what kind of tools i need to install it? (If there is somethng specific needed).

Do i need some pressfit tool? Or i just drop the bearings by hand, and that's it? Or something more specific.. Thanks in advance.. And what wheelset u have on ur bike? Look amazing..

Digger90

by Digger90

3Pio wrote:
If i compare C60 in 50S size headtube which is 145mm and Road Logic in 53 is 140mm which is not big difference. I guess ill have 5 mm more spacers on Ritchey, which is ok.

I guess ur Road Logic was 53 size? In 55 size headtube length is: 160mm, so i guess if u went that size it will be ok comparing to ur Colnago.

Can u please tell me more about Ritchey way of riding? Sprinting efforts? Climbing? Is it reactiv? How was handling? Sport car handling or more sluggish? If u can compare it with ur C59 i'll be very thankfull.. And i guess u had 53 cm Road Logic?

Yes, my Road Logic was a 53. I chose that size because the effective TT on the 55 was, I felt, too long for me. If Ritchey made a 53cms frame with the HT from the 55cms it would be perfect for me.

Ritchey way of riding...? I just rode it.. lots! :D

Sprinting, climbing etc were all great. You have nothing to worry about with its performance, handling or anything. In comparison to my C59's (I had 2 of those) it was slightly less agile in the steering, but absolutely not sluggish. With carbon everything these days, I think people have all-but-forgotten steel... The Ritchey isn't some 1980's / 1990's, slack, slow-handling, blunderbuss.. it's a modern, sharp, well engineered bike that you can ride very hard, flat out, and it'll put a smile on your face.

It's different to the way a C59 or C60 rides, but that's the point isn't it? I wanted something different - a different look, different feel, different characteristics.. but still a rewarding bike to ride.

PS - no facing required.

Marin

by Marin

3Pio wrote:I read on USA forums that some of them faced the bb shells.

About headset/fork? Can u please tell me what kind of tools i need to install it? (If there is somethng specific needed).

Do i need some pressfit tool? Or i just drop the bearings by hand, and that's it? Or something more specific.. Thanks in advance.. And what wheelset u have on ur bike? Look amazing..

If you face the BB you have to repaint the faces...

You only need a 5mm allen key for the headset, the bearings drop right into the head tube.

Self-built wheels with LB rims & Bitex RAR hubs, 1280g.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:
3Pio wrote:I read on USA forums that some of them faced the bb shells.

If you face the BB you have to repaint the faces...

You only need a 5mm allen key for the headset, the bearings drop right into the head tube.

Self-built wheels with LB rims & Bitex RAR hubs, 1280g.

Ok.. Seem that we cleared :) that this frame even steel and bit longer chanstay/wheelbase then my C60 is not sluggish frame, and as i understund i'll be able to ride same way as my carbon bikes...

Now let's clear two more things:

1. Sizing

My C60 is 50S, have top tube 540mm, seatpost angle 74 deg, stack 547, headtube 145, reach 383, chainstay 405mm, wheelbase 994, but not sure about this....

As i said im using this with 110 mm stem, and around 10mm spacers under the stem (and 15 mm headset cup)

If i go 53 size for Ritchey i have this numbers

Gray One: Top Tube 545 mm, seatpost angle 74 deg, stack 549mm, headtube 140mm, reach 388mm, chainstay 410mm, wheelbase 984 mm

Blue One: Top tube 548mm, seatpost angle 74 deg, stack 549, headtube 140mm, reach 391, chainstay 415mm,
wheelbase 993 mm

So am i right that i need 53 cm (if i compare with my 50S Colnago C60) ?

2. And which version to go? Seem that blue one have stiffer fork, and accepting bigger tires.. But bit longer chainstay, and bit bigger wheelbase so dont know if this make it more sluggish then gray one (or its so small difference that i should ignore it?) Also gray one have problems with Campagnolo 53/39, on Blue One i got information that this is solved.

So, gray one (a bit cheaper), or Blue one ?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Why wouldn’t you get a wide tire bike for a second bike? A cx/gravel bike would complement your primary, be a better foul weather bike, a better travel bike, works as a road bike, and give you some more riding options.

3Pio

by 3Pio

jfranci3 wrote:Why wouldn’t you get a wide tire bike for a second bike? A cx/gravel bike would complement your primary, be a better foul weather bike, a better travel bike, works as a road bike, and give you some more riding options.

This should be replacament for my FP3 bike, and which parts i'll use it on new frame in first time (Campagnolo Veloce + Shamal Ultra wheelset).

Also allready have Specialized Epic MTB bike, which i use on snow and similar bad weather (also riding Off Road XC). On this MTb i have Mavic CrossMax, and some ultra light tubeless tires, so it's not road bike, but still nice enough to be substitute for cx/gravel bike...

And new road bike will be riden by my gf as well.. So at the moment not big interest in Cx or Gravel bike.... But thanks for suggestion...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I rode a lot of gravel on the Ritchey, 27 mm Open Pavés are great for that.
Last edited by Marin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.