Ritchey Road Logic as second bike..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:I rode a lot of gravel on the Ritchey, 28mm Open Pavés are great for that.

Specially if i go blue version which accept even bigger tires (Ritchey claim it can accept 30mm tires).

Anyway, another potential problem i found on net, on some frames cable guides were positioned instead down position, up position (like on MTB bikes, or some CX bikes), and Ritchey used half length cable guides needing some special ferruls. I found this on USA forums, and the last problem like this was like 2 years ago.

Im planing to order the frame from Germany, so how is situaton about this? Did u needed some special ferruls for cable guides? Everything normal with that?

And please someone give me opinion about sizing.. Am i right that i need 53? And about handling if i use 100mm (-7 deg) stem (compared to 110 -7 deg to my C60), and if my gf need 80 mm stem (compared to 90mm + 6 deg on FP3)

And also based on geometry/handling.. Gray version or Blue version? :)

Hope to clear this soon :), since probably will order next week if this is cleared up...

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Fwiw I rode on my wifes bike a few times and didn't notice anything blatantly wrong coming from the 80mm stem. What I did find annoying was the 38cm bars (I use 44) . In any case I refuse to believe a 1cm shorter stem can have anything but a very subtle effect on handling.

415 stay is nice for the chainline, should be a bit quieter/less wear.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Alexandrumarian wrote:Fwiw I rode on my wifes bike a few times and didn't notice anything blatantly wrong coming from the 80mm stem. What I did find annoying was the 38cm bars (I use 44) . In any case I refuse to believe a 1cm shorter stem can have anything but a very subtle effect on handling.

415 stay is nice for the chainline, should be a bit quieter/less wear.

This funny :) First i was riding 42cm in hods and 44cm in drops. Then i bought a 38cm bullhorn handlebar for my fixie for city duty. And i found this one nice enough, but ok.. Different bike, different distance...

Then i switched from 42 hoods/44 drops on 40 hoods, 42 drops.. And found much better :) then the old one..

Then on my gf bike there was my old 42 cm which was too wide for her, so i put it Ritchey 38 cm handlebar.

When i was riding this bike.. i found i like 38 cm :)

Anyway, i decide to go with 53 cm frame, and i hope i wont do mistake about size choose, and when i compare to C60 definetely will be with 100mm stem for me -7 deg, with about 10-15mm spacers under stem (and in moments my gf will ride 80 mm stem for her, +7 deg with 30mm spacers for her).

So if someone think im going wrong with the size please tell me :)

Now let's talk about other nice things :)

My other bike have Campagnolo Record 11 speed (2015 model), and riding 52/36 with 12-29 cassette..

The wheels i own are Bora One 35 Tubulars, and Shamal Ultra C15 clinchers.

First idea for Ritchey was to use this wheelsets, or maybe to buy new Zonda C17.

What do u think about wheelset that will complement this frame? In same moment i can see low prices for last year model of Bora One 50 Tubs for Campy and also Bora One 35 and go tempted :)

About groupset, first plan was to transfer my Veloce 10 speed from my FP3, but now thinking should i buy Campagnolo Veloce 11 speed, Potenza or maybe Chorus. Also dilemma should i stay on Campagnolo, or get Shimano Ultegra 8000 for this bike (same price as Potenza, and seem that i prefer look of Ultegra). Must mention i never riden Shimano more seriosly except test ride, and also if i go Shimano, i'll probably use the Campy compatible wheelset, so that mean i would have to use Campagnolo Cassette..

What is ur opinion about this? And if u need to choose where to spend money.. U will go Wheelset that i allready have (siwtching on both bikes), and going wth new groupset.. Or maybe another pair of wheelset, and use the old Veloce groupset?

silvalis

by silvalis

I vote you go 11s. Keep things simple.
Chasse patate

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

I am the same height, ride a 52cm FM066, and am stuck between a 51 and 53cm in this bike.

As i want a steel bike as well, I was thinking getting that planet x holdsworth bike and repainting it as the geo seems to make more sense.

3Pio

by 3Pio

waltthizzney wrote:I am the same height, ride a 52cm FM066, and am stuck between a 51 and 53cm in this bike.

As i want a steel bike as well, I was thinking getting that planet x holdsworth bike and repainting it as the geo seems to make more sense.

Based on geometry of FM066, seem that u are 51 Ritchey Logic frame (stack, reach).

Why do u think u are between 51 and 53?

And same as u watching other steel frames, but at the end i realized i really like this one, or Colnago Master X-Light or De Rosa Corum.. The last two way more expensive then Road Logic, so i decide to dont do it.. Other frame u should consider is Cinelli Nemo Tig, but again. I prefer Road Logic look :)

Now thinking which groupset to get for this bike.. To go Shimano Ultegra R8000 (and to try something new beside Campagnolo im used of it) or go Campagnolo Record with Chorus Cassette (i know is more expensive than R8000) which i ride the same on my C60 so i can interchange the parts if needed. If i go Shimano, i'll use again Chorus Cassette since my wheelset are Campagnolo Compatible freehub (Shamal Ultra Clinchers and Bora One 35 tub). And how this will work? Is it 100% compatible Shimano With Campy chain/cassette?

Another thing against Shimano is longer reach then Campagnolo on hoods (at least what i read), so since the Road Logic reach is longer, and will go with 100 mm stem, if i go Shimano way dont want to realized i need even shorter stem (dont believe it.. Im realizing actually that on my C60 110mm stem becoming short. I tried 120mm and that is long.. Probably now i need just a bit more reach, like 5 mm. Using there Easton EC90SLX3 handlebar, 75mm reach, maybe ideal will be 80mm reach handlebar. And yes, i lost some body weight, so maybe this is because of that..)

fordred

by fordred

Marin wrote:I'm 77 kg, 330 W FTP and l like to push hard. My Logic was perfect for that, and the handling was razor sharp.

4.28W/kg.. are you a pro?

Marin

by Marin

No l just ride a lot. Pros are far beyond 4.2 too

3Pio

by 3Pio

Decided to go with 53 cm Blue Version and Chorus Groupset 52/36 and 12-29 cassette

Do i need S2 Front Derail for this frame, or i can be fine with regular one?

And now trying to decide which seatpost, handlebar and stem.

For Seatpost i know it's not best brand to mix with Richey, but i like the look, weight and the price: Deda Superleggero RS.

First i was trying to check ritchey Seatposts, but more expensive and not sure is it worth..

Handlebar will be ritchey i guess (or maybe Deda zero 100 to complenet seatpost) stem Kaloy Uno or maybe Ritchey C220 od Deda Zero 100

I'll use Shamal Ultra wheelset that i allready own

Any opinions about this?

Marin

by Marin

My opinion: awesome.

Digger90

by Digger90

That'll be a fine build, and no, you don't need an S2 frt derailleur.. any regular FD will work just fine. It's a steel bike, not a flimsy lightweight carbon thing where the FD braze-on flexes so much that you need to reinforce it with an S2 or similar.

I built my Ritchey as a winter bike, so it had inexpensive but nice parts on it:

Deda RHM 02 bars / Deda 100 stem
Canyon VCLS seat post
Fizik Arione saddle
Khamsin wheels
Veloce 10spd gruppo (with Centaur carbon cranks)

3Pio

by 3Pio

Again, about sizing and geometry.

Tried to use geometry calculator, and to compare three bikes:

Ritchey Road Logic in 53 Gray vs Colnago C60 in 50S and FP3 in 53 (FP Quatro since i can't find geometry for FP3, but i think they are the same).

I asume that headsetcup on Ritchey Road Logic is 15mm, same as C60 and FP3, and adding about 12mm spacers on FP3, 10-12 on C60 and 15mm on Ritchey Road Logic.

About Fp3 is strange that for fork length is given 367mm in geometry charts, but im measuring 376mm (which if i add to this comparation, then stack is very odd, so i'll use 367mm)

For this one i made comparation on Velogic fit as well:

Against FP Quatro:

Against C60

So gray version seem that have just 2mm wheelbase difference vs C60 (Road Logic WB is shorter 2mm) and small reach difference with 110 stem (5-6 mm) (Road Logic reach is longer 5-6 mm)

And the same comparation but instead of Gray Road Logic, im putting geometry of the blue one (the new version):

Now we have bigger wheelbase difference vs C60. Road logic WB is longer 7 mm vs C60, and also big reach difference (Road Logic is longer 8mm).

So which geometry do u think fit me better? Gray one (older model, less stiff fork, shorter chainstays i guess better for sprinting/climbing, some Campagnolo comptibility issues with 53/39 (will use 52/36 so i guess not a problem), and less tire clearance (i plan to use 25mm, so dont care too much about this), or Blue one (new model, stiffer fork, longer chainstays i guess not that good for climbing sprinting, but no Compatibility issues with Campagnolo, and accepting biger tires....

Do u think this geometry difference is big enough to decide based on it, or just go newer model?

Please help about this, since i really want to order the frame this week, and dont want to get the wrong size..

Thanks

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

I would get the new one, tire clearance is a huge issue, I heard its tight even on some 25mm

I am the same height as you as mentioned and want the Ritchey but I feel like the 53mm would be to long with such a short HT

One Steel bike I really like is that planet x one

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset

its cheap, has great tubing, better geo for me in the small. I was thinking of repainting it something stealth if I got it.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

3Pio wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:I am the same height, ride a 52cm FM066, and am stuck between a 51 and 53cm in this bike.

Based on geometry of FM066, seem that u are 51 Ritchey Logic frame (stack, reach).

And same as u watching other steel frames, but at the end i realized i really like this one, or Colnago Master X-Light or De Rosa Corum.. The last two way more expensive then Road Logic, so i decide to dont do it.. Other frame u should consider is Cinelli Nemo Tig, but again. I prefer Road Logic look :)

Now thinking which groupset to get for this bike.. To go Shimano Ultegra R8000 (and to try something new beside Campagnolo im used of it) or go Campagnolo Record with Chorus Cassette (i know is more expensive than R8000) which i ride the same on my C60 so i can interchange the parts if needed. If i go Shimano, i'll use again Chorus Cassette since my wheelset are Campagnolo Compatible freehub (Shamal Ultra Clinchers and Bora One 35 tub). And how this will work? Is it 100% compatible Shimano With Campy chain/cassette?

Another thing against Shimano is longer reach then Campagnolo on hoods (at least what i read), so since the Road Logic reach is longer, and will go with 100 mm stem, if i go Shimano way dont want to realized i need even shorter stem (dont believe it.. Im realizing actually that on my C60 110mm stem becoming short. I tried 120mm and that is long.. Probably now i need just a bit more reach, like 5 mm. Using there Easton EC90SLX3 handlebar, 75mm reach, maybe ideal will be 80mm reach handlebar. And yes, i lost some body weight, so maybe this is because of that..)

My whole thing is the my FM066 is pretty agressive, not sure I want to ride something that around on gravel, chill rides ect. Its basically the same issue, 51cm would work but we the heat tube is short and I would have to run an ugly stem!

I got my 20 Minute FTP up 355w this year at 67kg so I want something to hammer on too though.

3Pio

by 3Pio

waltthizzney wrote:
3Pio wrote:

My whole thing is the my FM066 is pretty agressive, not sure I want to ride something that around on gravel, chill rides ect. Its basically the same issue, 51cm would work but we the heat tube is short and I would have to run an ugly stem!

I got my 20 Minute FTP up 355w this year at 67kg so I want something to hammer on too though.

My idea about Road Logic is not to be bike for chill rides and dont ride gravel... Plan is to use in totaly same way as my Colnago C60 or to be replacament for my FP3. And i really like to climb and most of the ridings are climbing, so it's not idea to build the fancy steel bike for pleasure ridings (i have my MTB for that and my Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni Fixie :) )

So idea is to have this bike when is raining outside, or when i travel and it's problematic for transporting the C60 without too much complication (for example on the roof of the car), or on ridings where i dont want to care too much if it's scratched from some small rocks on bad roads, but in same time to ride it as any other carbon racing bike :)

I opted for Road Logic since look like stiff frame based on user reviews, it's not heavy, so it can be build the way i like, and look very nice.

But cant understund the geometry.. In same time they made Long and Low :) with long chainstay and wheelbase usually found on sportive bikes or endurance bikes..

About tire size on C60 im riding 23mm Conti 4000 SII on Shamal Ultra (15c), or Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm, or 4 Season Conti 25mm as well. Other wheelset is Bora One 35 where i have Corsa G+ 25mm, and there is no problems with tire clearance on my C60. So i guess this will be compatible with Road Logic as well, and really dont care if there is clearance problems for bigger tires.

So that's why want to choose the version of Road Logic that can be more close to what i need (stiffer, lighter, more responsive, more reactivity... Geometry based seem that is gray version :), except belowe standard stifness in the front end which seem corected in Blue version :) )

Also to mention that both version have about 190 eur price difference (gray version is cheaper). But i'll decide not based on price, but based of what suit me better..

Dont know what is ur idea about this Bike, for what kind of ridings.. But if u are satisfied with one u have now, and u can ride comfortable in that position for long time (150-200 km), then i'll go same on Road Logic as well, which will be size 51. If u want more comfort, slowly rides etc then 53.. For me 51 will be too small, and i'll have to add tower of spacers in non safe way (u must have really good flexibility btw :) )
Last edited by 3Pio on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com