Next Generation Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DWorks

by DWorks

It is slowly but surely coming to a point where the Venge Vias will go through a mahout redesign. What would you suggest will feature on this new platform?

I would wager:

- lighter (especially cockpit)
- 12r
- Denk engineered (Denk joined late 2014 and his influence on the Vias must have been limited)
- Disc only
- UL version like for Tarmac
- Please keep the Chameleon Purple!!!

Besides, who would like to see a 1x option? Since this is a very much a One trick pony and seeing how the Tarmac has also become more Aero, wouldn't it make some sense (and score nicely weight-wise)?

Share your thoughts/wishes/...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Will definitely be disc only. Wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping an eye on the 3T with regarding going 1x only, can see it happening.

TheDee

by TheDee

Broady wrote:Will definitely be disc only. Wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping an eye on the 3T with regarding going 1x only, can see it happening.

I agree. Current Venge already has official clearance for 28mm tire, so not a far cry to match the Strada 30mm clearance... Will be a very potent bike for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddsg

by ddsg

If they're going to do disc only, I hope they put the same level of detail into optimizing the frame/fork to limit the aero penalty as Scott did on the new Foil

TheDee

by TheDee

ddsg wrote:If they're going to do disc only, I hope they put the same level of detail into optimizing the frame/fork to limit the aero penalty as Scott did on the new Foil

+1 on that. Caliper integration and fairing on the drive side of the fork look very neat on the foil. And Specialized should also adopt a more boxy design of the stem/bar combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pyrahna

by pyrahna

DWorks wrote:It is slowly but surely coming to a point where the Venge Vias will go through a mahout redesign. What would you suggest will feature on this new platform?

I would wager:

- lighter (especially cockpit)
- 12r
- Denk engineered (Denk joined late 2014 and his influence on the Vias must have been limited)
- Disc only
- UL version like for Tarmac
- Please keep the Chameleon Purple!!!

Besides, who would like to see a 1x option? Since this is a very much a One trick pony and seeing how the Tarmac has also become more Aero, wouldn't it make some sense (and score nicely weight-wise)?

Share your thoughts/wishes/...

They have pretty much gone disc only already. The caliper model has been removed from the consumer site (U.S.) and there are only limited sizes left on the dealer site(U.S.).

I think they could address most of the complaints be redesigning the stem/handlebar to be a lighter system. It wouldn't necessarily mean a frame update.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Less ugly would be a good start.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ddsg

by ddsg

pyrahna wrote:They have pretty much gone disc only already. The caliper model has been removed from the consumer site (U.S.) and there are only limited sizes left on the dealer site(U.S.).

I think they could address most of the complaints be redesigning the stem/handlebar to be a lighter system. It wouldn't necessarily mean a frame update.

The caliper model probably had low demand given that from what I'd heard the proprietary brakes performed poorly and had QC issues. Competition from the Madone which is rim brake only and subjectively much better probably didn't help.

L3X

by L3X

It needs to be lighter, by quite a lot as well if you ask me. Some of the version that have great paint are actual lead mines.

Do's:
+Update frame now that 3:1 is no longer a thing
+Make it so that if you don't run the Specialized stem/bars it actually looks good, get rid of that lump behind the stem
+Make the stem/bars lighter
+Rework the preload adjust mechanism for the cranks
+Make bars that accept non-Specialized clipons as well
+Come up with something clever for thru axel wheel changes

Don't:
-Make an ugly bike
-Make it 1x only

I'm expecting a Venge 3 / ViAS 2 or whatever you want to call it this year, very curious to see what they come up with this time.

morganb

by morganb

I'd imagine that they would be co-designing a new Shiv TT along with it, as that bike is probably the oldest in Specialized lineup without any changes excluding kids bikes.

agfu

by agfu

Would be nice if it was easier to travel with the bike in a hard case too. The current solution is “buy the scicon soft case” haha :lol:

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Ultimately, aero disc could be designed into a disc cover of sorts, for the safety concerned
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

L3X wrote:+Make it so that if you don't run the Specialized stem/bars it actually looks good, get rid of that lump behind the stem
+Make bars that accept non-Specialized clipons as well

They will never do this: $pecialized is very good in forcing customers to buy $pesh only. And they don’t care for weight; if they did, they would not have given Sagan a 8.4kg(!!) bike in Tour Down Under this year.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/01/13/td ... ld-wheels/
$pesh is all about marketing. It used to be a very good company, but now it’s only marketing driven.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That Venge for Sagan they paraded around at the Tour down Under.... I don’t think Sagan even rode it once during the race, did he?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

I don’t think so. Maybe the first day (if I remember well).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com