VeloKicks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

From my perspective, the shoes look a tad long as that is how my wife's S-Works 7 fit before I sized her down from 41.5 to the Ares in size 40.5! I know apples and oranges, just an observation.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:16 pm
From my perspective, the shoes look a tad long as that is how my wife's S-Works 7 fit before I sized her down from 41.5 to the Ares in size 40.5! I know apples and oranges, just an observation.
My feet are ~271mm long and it's a EU44 so I am in the middle of the range for that size according to the VK website. There are only certain shoe brands where I can get away with squeezing into a 43.5 and it's more often that I size up to 44.5. All because my heel-to-ball is quite long. It's a risk sizing down because the toebox will taper too early and also any shoe with built-in arch support might have it placed too far rearward.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

It is amazing how a millimeter or two can effect shoe sizing. My feet are ~266 mm long and I wear Sidi Shot and Shimano Sphyre (RC902) in size 42 although the Shimano's are narrower through the forefoot.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:44 pm
It is amazing how a millimeter or two can effect shoe sizing. My feet are ~266 mm long and I wear Sidi Shot and Shimano Sphyre (RC902) in size 42 although the Shimano's are narrower through the forefoot.

Now this is where I question your measurements. According to Sidi, a 266mm heel-to-toe is a size 43, and we know both Sidi and Shimano run small. Are you sure your feet are 266mm?

Some more examples that equate to your heel-to-toe + 1cm:

Bontrager size 43 = 277mm last (269mm heel-to-toe)
Specialized size 43 = 275mm last
Fizik size 43 = 277mm last

Heel-to-toe for most size 42s is 262mm or so... In Sidi, it's probably effectively shorter.

KonaSS

by KonaSS

My experience with Velockicks was very poor. Make sure to read ALL the fine print and ask any questions you have about returns and exchanges. The shoes wouldn't work for me and they won't accept a return without a heavy restocking fee. Wasted lots of money and time. They have very poor customer service in my opinion.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:53 am
Heel-to-toe for most size 42s is 262mm or so... In Sidi, it's probably effectively shorter.
Not in my experience and measurements. This though does highlight the real issue within the cycling shoe world. There is so much variablity, it's like buying jeans in many ways. This is what led me to using measured foot length as an attempted work around. I have full measured lengths of our shoes too as another background datapoint but unless the other end are also skilled and able to put the kicks againast a wall and use something like a book (guessing most do not have a pair of calipers as long as mine) then it also runs the risk of causing more confusion.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I also think heel to toe is super confusing, for me it really depends on the toe box shape. I can see someone having a 266mm foot sliding into a Shimano 42 if the toe box matches their toes.

For Bont I need a size 43 (270mm last), whereas for the new udog shoes (I'm guessing it's somewhat similar to Fizik wide?) I can slide into a 41 (262mm last)... My foot length is anywhere between 255-262mm, depending on time of day, measurement errors, socks etc. Nick's VK method gives me 255mm whereas if I do the Bont method with socks I can get closer to 262mm. I'd love to be told I'm doing it wrong but I've been super careful and even had my partner's help with paralax etc.

I'm really surprised to hear the comment about the restocking fee and poor service - I'm sure Nick has his side of the story too (e.g. damage/parts missing/cleats fitted).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

KonaSS wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:38 am
My experience with Velockicks was very poor. Make sure to read ALL the fine print and ask any questions you have about returns and exchanges. The shoes wouldn't work for me and they won't accept a return without a heavy restocking fee. Wasted lots of money and time. They have very poor customer service in my opinion.
What was your issue(s)? I was looking at the Lactate shoe for MTB use.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:42 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:53 am
Not in my experience and measurements. This though does highlight the real issue within the cycling shoe world. There is so much variablity, it's like buying jeans in many ways. This is what led me to using measured foot length as an attempted work around. I have full measured lengths of our shoes too as another background datapoint but unless the other end are also skilled and able to put the kicks againast a wall and use something like a book (guessing most do not have a pair of calipers as long as mine) then it also runs the risk of causing more confusion.

On your size chart a 42 is even shorter at 250-257mm suggested heel-to-toe, which further suggests that ms6073's feet are not ~262mm since he is wearing size 42 in Sidi and Shimano, both of which effectively run small because they are narrow. Either his feet are shorter or his toes are doing some weird Twister moves in the toebox.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@TobinHatesYou I think you need to add 5mm to Nick's suggestion to get the last length? So I'm claiming that VK shoes may fit a heel-toe of 262mm if the toe box is "right". Just a guess, would love to be corrected if wrong.

EDIT: Also IME Shimano shoes tend to run big as they're quite wide? My 42 Shimano are much wider than my 42 VK (but lower volume). However that doesn't explain the 42 Sidi, perhaps it could be a 42.5 and the 0.5 sticker has fallen off?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

istigatrice wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:25 am
@TobinHatesYou I think you need to add 5mm to Nick's suggestion to get the last length? So I'm claiming that VK shoes may fit a heel-toe of 262mm if the toe box is "right". Just a guess, would love to be corrected if wrong.

Specialized, Bontrager, Fizik, Q36.5 and Rapha Pro Team all list their shoes as 270mm in size 42. Bontrager is the only brand of those mentioned that lists heel-to-toe as well (262mm)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

A lot of measures being cited here for other brands are their internal measured length. Which, as I spoke to, has a lot of inherent variablity within it. Then some use total measured length of the shoe. Both are a 'heel to toe'. So unless there's a graphic to illustrate it (or you are just around enough shoes to know what the measure would likely indicate) it can still be hard to tell. And that's for folks like us, who are subscribed to a cycling forum. Harder again for those more casual in their riding/less interested in the details like this.

ms6073

by ms6073

In retrospect, I am basing my observations off values posted on Shimano's website for the Sphyre which now appears to be internal length, and appologies to @TobinHatesYou for my earlier assertion(s).
- Michael

acroft95

by acroft95

Any reviews on the Flow Knit yet?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Starting to come in

https://velokicks.cc/products/velokicks ... ling-shoes

we appreciate reviews but also understand that for many jumping into the Flow the weather is warming up and there are many better ways to be spending your time than behind a screen, leaving a review.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com