VeloKicks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Those team shoes.... :shock: NAILED IT!
What model Baums are those? They look fantastic.
How do they rate compared to the Stinner's?
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

MarkTwain wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 am
I appreciate the 'joke'

Class.
You’re welcome, keep fighting the good fight :thumbup:

Wookski

by Wookski

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 am
Baum is one of the greatest ti/ steel frame builders on the planet. Stinner has some nice paint jobs?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

How did you get baum to sponsor you or did you shell out for the frames? Great looking bikes. The stinners were too.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 am
Cheers. Pretty stoked with how they turned out.

The Essence is the latest model offering from Baum. I'll do an intro thread on it when I have some free time, but in...errr...essence (heh) it's a modern day equivalent of the classic steel bike of the 90s. It's also sold only as a complete bike (you can upgrade the parts but no frameset) and comes with Ultegra mechnical and Ultegra hoops for less than $7k AUD. Darren (Baum) wants people to be able to get on a Baum without needing to shell out a five figure sum. The Essence is it.

Compared to the Stinner they are a little more direct. My Stinner was a lovely bike, ride all day and never, ever, beat me up. Only it felt like it bogged down a little when I would really kick it. Not a massive surprise gven the tubing on it. And in no way did this hamper me. Only the Essence is just as smooth but a little more responsive. Still not as direct the Pink Pather (my Ristretto) but about the middle ground between the other two.
NiFTY wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am
How did you get baum to sponsor you or did you shell out for the frames? Great looking bikes. The stinners were too.
I used to work at Baum and am still close with Darren, so that helps. But we certainly all paid for every inch of these bikes. Baum are in no way big enough to sling free bikes. Nor are Stinner, we paid for those too. I'm not actually sure who gets a free bike nowadays. Even the pros have to pay for the ones they want to keep. Whatever the case, no gifts for us. Which is fine because we understand it's hard to keep the lights on with a small business.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Hi Tinea Pedia. Going back to some of your recent posts, IMO you don't need to apologize one iota for letting WW readers know about our company -- you've contributed to cycling shoe discussions and hence added to the site. Nor need you send any discount code to me or IMO other WW readers -- your prices already are excellent for what you're offering.

As it happens, I've been looking for new shoes in a wider form factor such as you make. I wear a 47 in Vittoria (slightly too narrow), Specialized and Gaerne, so that rules out your initial model which goes up to 46. As you wrote, you're now branching out into 47, so I am psyched. Question: are you going to come out with new styles other than the Ridge Supply homage soon? I ask because you wrote earlier this month that you were working on some new items to be ready in perhaps a fortnight. I was not sure whether you meant new custom one-offs such as the shoes you post on Instagram, or new styles that VeloKicks will sell to all. The Ridge Supply is very nice and I am ready to pre-order, but if there are other options coming, I'd consider those instead.

Again, appreciate your contributions and your company.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Cheers, appreciate the support. Just did not want to come across as a shill. Also great to hear the price point is good. There's not big margin in them however we're happy to make less because this is both a side project for the two of us involved as well as me feeling there's a gap in the market for a modearte priced kick that looks the goods (and feels damn good to wear).

With regards to what is coming, the teaser was indeed for the team kicks we have since featured. The next release is indeed Ridge Supply, which should be in Australia by the time the Tour de France is ready to kick off. Our order has been bumped by 3 weeks or so. Factory initmated a bigger order came in - but no other explanation from there. This is what happens when you're a tiny player like us :( but thankfully they will hit soon. Along with the Blanco dials, which we've had requests for pretty much from the moment people saw the Blanco lace ups.

lostrainbow

by lostrainbow

Wondering how does it compare to Shimano size? I have only wore a shimano, which is 42. Thank you

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Yet to find anyone be a different size in ours compared to Shimano.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'm a 44w in newer or 45 in older Shimano depending on the model 45w in VapourS and a 45 in the Sworks Sub6.

45 Blanco has the widest toe box and mid foot of the above without being clown shoe wide like my 44w Bont Vapour (original not S) were. In saying that they are more than secure enough without the vice grip feeling of the Sub6. Image

Using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:25 am
Cheers, appreciate the support. Just did not want to come across as a shill. Also great to hear the price point is good. There's not big margin in them however we're happy to make less because this is both a side project for the two of us involved as well as me feeling there's a gap in the market for a modearte priced kick that looks the goods (and feels damn good to wear).

With regards to what is coming, the teaser was indeed for the team kicks we have since featured. The next release is indeed Ridge Supply, which should be in Australia by the time the Tour de France is ready to kick off. Our order has been bumped by 3 weeks or so. Factory initmated a bigger order came in - but no other explanation from there. This is what happens when you're a tiny player like us :( but thankfully they will hit soon. Along with the Blanco dials, which we've had requests for pretty much from the moment people saw the Blanco lace ups.
Excellent, just ordered the Ridge Supply. The shoes will fit well with my blue kits and my POC Octal blue and white helmet.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Tinea Pedis wrote:

By the way, have you seen this? Your Season 1 shoes are shown in this guy's collection.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/ ... ion-52444/

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Stendhal wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 am
Tinea Pedis wrote:

Excellent, just ordered the Ridge Supply. The shoes will fit well with my blue kits and my POC Octal blue and white helmet.
Sensational. Really appreciate the support!

And yeah, Lee is a friend of mine. Also jumped in and got some kicks. And man alive does he love cycling gear :lol: terrific guy though.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 am
Stendhal wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 am
Tinea Pedis wrote:

Sensational. Really appreciate the support!

And yeah, Lee is a friend of mine. Also jumped in and got some kicks. And man alive does he love cycling gear :lol: terrific guy though.
He really does seem to be a terrific guy. Questionable taste in kits, but hey, that was The 90s! I liked Jan Ullrich and his T-Mobile team too. And he has a great self-depreciating attitude. Most of all, you can tell that he really uses his gear, that he's an avid cyclist. Sometimes I think I spend more effort on compiling bike equipment and clothing than actually cycling. I promise not to do that with the Ridge Supplies and instead to be more like Lee.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

:joy: why not collect shoes too. His thoughts on Bont were also amusing. But that's how he is - calls it like he sees it. Knows that he's a Hubbard (the Aussie word for a Fred) but embraces so well that you cannot think less of him for it. Hard to not love him.