Ordering Dura Ace 9150 groupset for my Oltre XR4--need help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys,

My Oltre XR4 frameset is six-weeks away but I wanted to take advantage on the current DA 9150 groupset sale at Merlin Cycles.
So I just wanted to confirm the Bianchi Oltre XR4 takes direct mount brake calipers 9110 F&R? Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Link below says it uses DM brakes.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/bianchi-oltre-xr4-road-bike-frameset-2017?skidn=BIA000Q-CEL-S50CM

Further down on the description it says:

Finally, a note on brakes: we find that the Oltre XR4 pairs best with two front-specific direct-mount brakes. Yes, even in the back.

Black one looks sick! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

TarugoKing wrote:Link below says it uses DM brakes.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/bianchi-oltre-xr4-road-bike-frameset-2017?skidn=BIA000Q-CEL-S50CM

Further down on the description it says:

Finally, a note on brakes: we find that the Oltre XR4 pairs best with two front-specific direct-mount brakes. Yes, even in the back.

Black one looks sick! :thumbup:

Glad I asked! Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

JScycle

by JScycle

Why two front only? Do they act differently?

themidge

by themidge

Front brakes generally have more power than back ones, the thinking being that if your back brake was too powerful then your back wheel will skid (eg. Campagnolo have a single pivot calliper on the back instead of a double pivot.) However, if you want more power, the first place to get it from is by putting a more powerful front brake on the back.

toiyuet

by toiyuet

The rear spec. DM brake was designed for chain stay mounting, front spec. should be more powerful.

JScycle

by JScycle

Thanks that makes sense

jekyll man

by jekyll man

toiyuet wrote:The rear spec. DM brake was designed for chain stay mounting, front spec. should be more powerful.

There is a seatstay version.....
BR_R9110-RS

Official cafe stop tester

toiyuet

by toiyuet

kode54

by kode54

there's a set of EE Cycleworks (Cane Creek) direct mount brakes for sale in the marketplace here.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Ordered the 9150 with direct mount front & rear brakes from Merlins this morning. Unfortunately they wouldn't modify the groupset to include two direct mount front brakes. No big deal as I will sell the rear caliper and buy an additional front. Also I changed from a celeste Oltre XR4 to a custom Gulf color (think Porsche 917 from Steve McQueen's Le Mans flick)
CAN NOT WAIT!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The only difference between the front and rear brakes are the pad holders. The rest are identical.

On the 9000 brakes the rear did have a slightly longer bolt. On the 9100 they made the front and rear the same except for the pad holders.

If you don’t believe me go to si.shimano.com and download the dealer manual which has the exploded parts view and bill of materials for both front and rear brakes.

Why bother using two fronts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk