Speed/ Cadence sensor needed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Currently running with stages PM which have cadence function. Last time my speed sensor battery died but notice the speed was still showing up on the 810.

Question is... Should I even keep a speed sensor on there? Maybe having the speed sensor will provide a more accurate data vs one that was derived from cadence/GPS?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

Speed sensors are more accurate but they also work in tunnels or heavily forested areas where GPS would cut out.
I think that they are worth the extra weight ;)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

JScycle wrote:Speed sensors are more accurate but they also work in tunnels or heavily forested areas where GPS would cut out.

Ditto
BB

Coffee & carbon

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

JScycle wrote:Speed sensors are more accurate but they also work in tunnels or heavily forested areas where GPS would cut out.

Ah yes, but are they worth the extra aero penalty?!

sp3000

by sp3000

Depends when you want your data. If you demand real time best accuracy and look at your speedo all the time while riding the sensor is more accurate. If you upload to Strava etc and look at your segments it only shows the GPS data so the real time speed sensor data is useless..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Sweet.. keeping my speed sensor then. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

You can also use them on trainers indoors as well to log those extra miles that gps can't measure.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

c60rider wrote:You can also use them on trainers indoors as well to log those extra miles that gps can't measure.

yes, but if you're using Zwift, if you have a power meter you don't need a speed sensor.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stuh

by stuh

I have a Garmin hub-mounted speed sensor on my trainer wheel and nothing Power Meters for my outside rides. GPS catches the rest and I don't miss anything. I only ever look at my max speed after a decent and just want the miles while on my trainer