Emonda Alr Sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

luxmediarts

by luxmediarts

Hi guys and girls.

I'm considering buying the above referenced frameset. I'm just under 180CM tall and my saddle height is about 76CM. I'm an experienced and aggressively positioned rider. The nearest Trek dealer is about 200KM away and doesn't have either frame size anyway. Going to buy online as a result.

Is there anyone out there with similar body and position dimensions as mine that has a picture of their set-up? I'm concerned that the 54CM "shows" too much seatpost.

By the way, don't sell your vintage bike. I did and, now regret it. A custom 91' Tesch and a 91' DeRosa SLX.

Thx!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

54 cm would be too small, in my opinion. I think 56 might be a better choice. I am slightly taller than you, 183 cm and a saddle height of 77 cm. I ride a 58 cm frame, 5 mm spacer under the stem, which is 110 mm long. But the bars have pretty long reach so it is similar to running a 120 mm stem on a handlebar with 75 mm reach. The saddle to bar drop is about 7.5 cm. Looks like this:

luxmediarts

by luxmediarts

That is very helpful GT and, your bike looks well positioned and aesthetically beautiful. How would you characterize the ride; are you pleased with it?

Thanks!

fa63

by fa63

The ride is great. I use 28 mm Vittoria Corsa G+ tires (the frame has lots of room for larger tires, could probably put 30s on there), and it might be the best handling and most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden. The tires play a large role in that, but the frame itself is no slouch.

I was worried about BB creaking with the BB86 bottom bracket, but decided to use a Wheels Manufacturing thread-together BB and it has been dead quiet.

The one complaint I have is toe overlap. I wear size 47 shoes, but I have never noticed toe overlap on any of my other bikes to the extent that I notice it on the Emonda. But that is really more of a nuisance and not a deal breaker.

luxmediarts

by luxmediarts

Funny. I too have already chosen that BB for the build. It's the reduced fork rake and front/center that causes the overlap I think. The custom Tesch I commissioned many years ago had the same issue but, was probably the best handling bike I've ever owned.

Nice to see Americans using the metric system; assuming you're American.

fa63

by fa63

luxmediarts wrote:Nice to see Americans using the metric system; assuming you're American.

Yes, but I was raised in a country which used the metric system. Plus it makes much more sense :)

Christono

by Christono

also 183cm and 78.5 saddle height but riding a 56cm

luxmediarts

by luxmediarts

Thanks for the post Christono. I have arrived at the conclusion that the 56CM is likely the right choice for me. By the way, what's the stem length on your bike; your impressions of the frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com